Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: TCL Flip 2 4G LTE - $19.99 - quick review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    ...a tracfone with end date of2044...
    I'd be concerned one day TF will say **** that end date prove it.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Wife has a tracfone with end date of2044. ....
    Please advise, and thank you.
    gmannix, with service days out to 2044 and a phone number that you don't want to lose, (in my opinion), you don't want to take the risk of a "combine balance" operation.

My experience with combine-balances has been scary. Several others have also had horror stories to report with combine-balance. It seems to be a very risky operation. (There are exceptions where combine has worked uniformly well; tomseys is one of those exceptions I think).

Tracfone can be very stress-inducing, and stress is bad for health! So especially given that you said something like your wife has forbidden you from messing around with TF, I don't think you should go the risky route.

Just my opinion of course, FWIW.

Feedback Score
    Seconded.

10char

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I'd be concerned one day TF will say **** that end date prove it.
    My end date is in 2025 and I’m not counting on it. But most of that time was stacking cheap year plans, rewards points or combining lines. I wouldn’t suggest anyone push out their service date far in to the future expecting it to work. But there’s no harm in forcing Verizon to deal with your paygo plan that they wish didn’t exist having a date far in the future as long as you understand that they can and will change the terms.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    At one point I was , let's say, unaware of the end date. I don't recall the date let alone the phone, but I was adding a card, via chat, to that phone. when we got to the end , on rechecking results, I mentioned the fact that the end date was way off csr said something like "one moment while I check something." I waited for a bit and he/she came back on and said something like "bear with me for a moment." Another 3 or 4 minutes, and I'm getting antsy (tracfone, after all, eh?) Back live and I get " no worries, wont affect a thing. " I asked if he could change the end date and I get " thanks for using tracfone, blah blah blah, and the csr has left the chat.
    Of course I sweated somewhat until the next reload, months later, and no problemo....I c & p that chat and posted it in an email to myself.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    High bucket counts and days of service counts are ONLY safe until TF happens to notice them. I would never do anything that brings such things to their attention, especially using a CSR.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    High bucket counts and days of service counts are ONLY safe until TF happens to notice them. I would never do anything that brings such things to their attention, especially using a CSR.
    How else do you suggest activations, among other things??

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Comparing the Alcatel Go Flip 3 (4052W) to the TCL Flip 2 (T480DL). First the size. The Flip 2 is not a lot bigger, but it feels bigger. It's definitely heavier, 4.73 ounces compared to 4.15 ounces. I like the smaller size of the Go Flip 3, but Flip 2 has more battery capacity and it feels more solid. It's also not as slick, the Flip 2 has a bit of a pattern in the plastic back that makes a little "grippier." Sound is good in both of them, both are good speaker phones, both play music well enough (for what they are). I don't now which Music app I like better yet.

I like the key layout better on the Go Flip 3, the back key on the Flip 2 is a bit painful to use (I have a little arthritis). I would have preferred that the Favorite button went away and the back key and the message key were put up by the 4 way navigation button, in the middle of the other four buttons. The design of the navigator button is a bit better on the Go Flip 3, it's easier (for me anyhow) to hit the middle "OK" button, it seems easier to separate from the navigation keys.

When you open the Flip 2, the screen lays flatter. I don't know if that's an advantage or not, just a difference.

The software is more useful on the Go Flip 3 (it's "sort of" a smartphone), so that's expected. It would be really nice if they added voice commands to the Flip 2 but (for the price) I can understand why they don't. (I'm fortunate that I still have Google Assistant on the Go Flip 3, most 2.5.x KaiOS phones lost this feature.)

I didn't think you could see your messages while on a call with the Flip 2, but found that's what the Message Key (which I thought was email key) was for. I was told by the Tracfone rep that this phone couldn't display messages while on the phone, but fortunately he was wrong (he had sent the verification code on this phone while I was talking to him on it).

I've been able to add email to the Flip 2, (a non-standard email address, i.e. not Yahoo or Gmail, etc.), which I thought was pretty impressive for a Feature phone. Texting is not that bad on it, though it can't compete Go Flip 3's voice assistant. I don't like the categories in the Contacts App, and it doesn't appear there's any way to get rid of them.

Once this phone is freed up from Tracfone, I'm looking forward to WiFi calling and using it as a HotSpot — so, really, this is a pretty nice feature phone. No navigation or maps but it's a feature phone plus that can be used on modern networks. At the price it's a really good deal.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkyStuff View Post
    I haven't activated it yet. After setting up a few things, I absolutely hate it. It took me almost 10 minutes to type out a password for a Gmail account that has over 20 numbers, characters and letters.
    Did you do this from Menu -> Settings -> Phone Settings -> Accounts -> Options -> Add and then select "Gmail" as your "Email provider"? What exactly does specifying a Gmail account buy you? I tried reading the doc but the doc was not very helpful. Does it import the "contacts" for that Gmail account? Do you see your email through some UI now enabled for email?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    Did you do this from Menu -> Settings -> Phone Settings -> Accounts -> Options -> Add and then select "Gmail" as your "Email provider"? What exactly does specifying a Gmail account buy you? I tried reading the doc but the doc was not very helpful. Does it import the "contacts" for that Gmail account? Do you see your email through some UI now enabled for email?
    I just set it up on my phone. All I did was used Tools>Email and chose Gmail. It asked me for my user name and password. I don't know about contacts. I don't have contacts set up on that account, but I imagine it would import contacts.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    It sounds like the real screw-up was with UPS, not Tracfone.
    even if it is UPS's fault my 1st sentence still covers it...

Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    seems everything TF touches has issues.
    who's to say TF didn't slap a sticker on the box that fell off or a box that was not properly sealed?

then, if i actually had gotten it, who's to say 10K would post AND mature. see the pattern with all the posts across the TF forum?

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    even if it is UPS's fault my 1st sentence still covers it...
    who's to say TF didn't slap a sticker on the box that fell off or a box that was not properly sealed?

then, if i actually had gotten it, who's to say 10K would post AND mature. see the pattern with all the posts across the TF forum?
    Okay. But UPS is quite capable of screwing things up on their own as well.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Okay. But UPS is quite capable of screwing things up on their own as well.
    hmm, how did these posts get posted in another thread? anyway, sure UPS is capable of screwing up but I get literally hundreds of packages via UPS per year. just so happens 1 of the 2 from TF is lost while I the only other issue this year was a single delayed package from Amazon by 2 days (out of 89 from Amazon this year). somethings not right with TF is all I'm saying. coincidence, maybe. doubtful though.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    Cross posting a bit... Got my eBay bundle Tracfone TCL Flip 2 (T408DL) unlocked, swapped the RP FreedomPop GSMT SIM (T-Mobile) into it and it works fine. Can make HD VoLTE calls and the APN is still fast.t-mobile.com. So it works fine with T-Mobile VoLTE as previously reported by IsLand_BoY.

WiFi calling can be enabled, but doesn't seem to work. It goes to the Tracfone E911 address registration page. IsLand_BoY got it working for native T-Mobile proper. No idea if FreedomPop GSMT has WiFi calling option. Don't really care. Testing for funzies.

Was able to use the forbidden sharing feature with a FP GSMT SIM. No problem with the connection, web pages work and Google Voice calls can be made. Forgot to test it with the original Tracfone SIM because the phone ate up 200+MB of data to update itself before I disabled mobile data.

Nice flip phone. Feels comfortable in hand. Responsive menu, no lagg. Calls sound fine. Haven't tested battery life yet. Don't feel like risking my Cricket/AT&T SIM for testing, but it should be fine/on the whitelist. Someone seems to have been able to install Spotify and got it running., so other APKs might be possible.
    Last edited by Slepy; 11-13-2022 at 03:10 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8