Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: TCL Flip 2 4G LTE - $19.99 - quick review

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

TCL Flip 2 4G LTE - $19.99 - quick review

I bought it direct from TracFone on eBay for $19.99. Free 2nd Day Air shipping via UPS (and they paid extra for Saturday delivery!), no bundled minutes or anything. I don't really need them anyway so $20 just for the phone is good. I wanted to see how it was, especially because it has USB-C charging.

First impressions:
    Still feels like the plastic-y MyFlip 2, but it's much snappier performance-wise and the addition of a back button is BIG because it functions more like a regular flip phone now. The MyFlip 2 used the END key to go back and it was just humbug. The END key should close everything out and return you to the home screen. Thankfully they fixed that.

Call quality is loud and clear. I'm in a good Verizon area, so not surprising, but call quality is great. Dialing is easy, the keypad has a good feel and is responsive. The external color screen is a bit dim but is much more useful than the vertical screen on the LG Classic Flip. Hotspot shows up in the phone's settings but comes up as not supported by my plan when I try to enable it. Curiously, there is no WiFi Calling showing up but I did transfer service over from an existing TracFone. I feel like I only see WiFi Calling available on new Verizon activations on TracFone.

All in all, I think it's a good phone for those who need or want a flip phone and can't find the Classic Flip. I still prefer the Classic Flip since it functions more like an old school flip phone, but this is a great alternative and the price is right for sure.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 06-17-2022 at 07:04 PM. Reason: link deleted as spam
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro (T-Mobile & AT&T); Galaxy Z Flip4 (Verizon)
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50) / iPad mini 6 5G (unlimited 5G data)

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting this! I am not a huge fan of the LG Classic so I was hoping this might be more to my liking. I am glad you said it was fairly quick & snappy. Can you tell us if it has speech to text capability? Does it have FM radio? Thx!

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Is this the model, the TCL 4056? I didn't see voice to text in the description but the website has user manual downloads. Might find the info in there.

https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/m...eries/tcl-flip

Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    Thanks for posting this! I am not a huge fan of the LG Classic so I was hoping this might be more to my liking. I am glad you said it was fairly quick & snappy. Can you tell us if it has speech to text capability? Does it have FM radio? Thx!
    No voice to text capability that I can find, and no FM radio either. But yes - whatever they did to this newest iteration of the MyFlip, definitely sped it up. A flip phone shouldn't be laggy (and should have a back button!) so I think for $20, it's a deal. I'll probably snag another one to keep as a backup for an uncle on a Classic Flip, as he doesn't want a smartphone and probably never will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Is this the model, the TCL 4056? I didn't see voice to text in the description but the website has user manual downloads. Might find the info in there.
    There seem to be variations of the TCL Flip series, so you would have to look in the actual phone menus to see what features it has.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    First impressions:
    Still feels like the plastic-y MyFlip 2, but it's much snappier performance-wise and the addition of a back button is BIG because it functions more like a regular flip phone now. The MyFlip 2 used the END key to go back and it was just humbug. The END key should close everything out and return you to the home screen. Thankfully they fixed that.

All in all, I think it's a good phone for those who need or want a flip phone and can't find the Classic Flip. I still prefer the Classic Flip since it functions more like an old school flip phone, but this is a great alternative and the price is right for sure.
    Previously I was looking at the My Flip2 and LG Classic Flip and ended up getting the LG. A friend got the My Flip2 and it has KaiOS and some Google apps. Looking at the TF Ebay listing, the old My Flip2 specs says it has an Octa-Core processor & 4GB storage.

The TCL Flip 2 4G LTE Ebay listing says it has Android 11, a Quad Core processor, and 8GB storage. Can Android apps be installed on it?

You mentioned the new TCL Flip 2 4G LTE was much snappier. Did the old My Flip2 really have an Octa-Core processor?

The Ebay listings show both phones with MPN: TWSAS115DCRDA35. Is that an error or are they keeping the numbers the same?

What’s the model number of the new phone?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to pass along as much information to another friend.
    Thanks.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    From what I remember about the MyFlip and MyFlip2, they used the same CPU which is Snapdragon 210 CPU. It is a 1.1GHz quad core CPU.

I know that CPU is very popular in these cheaper flip phones and other device.

Edit: I believe that this TCL Flip 2 has the new CPU which is Snapdragon 215 CPU. This is newer cheap CPU that is 1.3GHz quad core CPU.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 06-18-2022 at 03:28 AM.

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    No voice to text capability that I can find, and no FM radio either. But yes - whatever they did to this newest iteration of the MyFlip, definitely sped it up. A flip phone shouldn't be laggy (and should have a back button!) so I think for $20, it's a deal. I'll probably snag another one to keep as a backup for an uncle on a Classic Flip, as he doesn't want a smartphone and probably never will.
    Thanks for this!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    Thanks for this!
    Let's not forget the small batteries in any of these Flips. You really can't load them up even if they have android and do allot of app using.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I did some more research on this model this morning, and found out that TCL/Alcatel has more Flip models then I originally thought.

Found out that that, this TCL Flip 2 could be the same as the TCL Classic: https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/m...ic-lunar-black

The TCL Flip 2 which has the FCC ID of 2ACCJN059 talks about 4058W/G/L, but it looks like TCL Classic(4058C) has the FCC ID of 2ACCJN060 from what I can find.

I thought the TCL Flip 2 was closer to the TCL Flip/Flip Pro/Alcatel GoFlip 4, but it is not.

Looks like the TCL Flip 2/Classic has AOSP with MediaTek 6739 CPU which is 1.5GHz quad core which is not the same as TCL Flip/Flip Pro/Alcatel GoFlip 4 which has the KaiOS with the Snapdragon 215 like I said before.

The LG Classic Flip has the AOSP with the Snapdragon 210 CPU.

Not to sure if this will help someone, but it might be good enough info.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    Previously I was looking at the My Flip2 and LG Classic Flip and ended up getting the LG. A friend got the My Flip2 and it has KaiOS and some Google apps. Looking at the TF Ebay listing, the old My Flip2 specs says it has an Octa-Core processor & 4GB storage.

The TCL Flip 2 4G LTE Ebay listing says it has Android 11, a Quad Core processor, and 8GB storage. Can Android apps be installed on it?

You mentioned the new TCL Flip 2 4G LTE was much snappier. Did the old My Flip2 really have an Octa-Core processor?

The Ebay listings show both phones with MPN: TWSAS115DCRDA35. Is that an error or are they keeping the numbers the same?

What’s the model number of the new phone?

Sorry for all the questions. I want to pass along as much information to another friend.
    Thanks.
    I wouldn't trust the eBay listing, sadly. It's not running Android 11 so no Android apps, but there is in fact 8GB of storage. 4.5GB available, without anything saved on the phone. I'm not sure on the specific model # outside of TracFone's "T408DL" after looking at the phone, box, and user's guide in the box.

So far, battery life seems to be pretty good. I still have not charged it after my first full charge and I'm down to 50%. Only made one call on it though. Just had a second one delivered today to stash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I did some more research on this model this morning, and found out that TCL/Alcatel has more Flip models then I originally thought.

Found out that that, this TCL Flip 2 could be the same as the TCL Classic: https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/m...ic-lunar-black

The TCL Flip 2 which has the FCC ID of 2ACCJN059 talks about 4058W/G/L, but it looks like TCL Classic(4058C) has the FCC ID of 2ACCJN060 from what I can find.

I thought the TCL Flip 2 was closer to the TCL Flip/Flip Pro/Alcatel GoFlip 4, but it is not.

Looks like the TCL Flip 2/Classic has AOSP with MediaTek 6739 CPU which is 1.5GHz quad core which is not the same as TCL Flip/Flip Pro/Alcatel GoFlip 4 which has the KaiOS with the Snapdragon 215 like I said before.

The LG Classic Flip has the AOSP with the Snapdragon 210 CPU.

Not to sure if this will help someone, but it might be good enough info.
    I found this which says the TCL Flip 2 has a Qualcomm 1.3GHz processor. However they're calling it a TFALT408DCP, not a T408DL that IsLand_BoY has. Could a "DCP" be yet a different model than a "DL"?
    https://order.petra.com/tracfone-tfa...martphone.html

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    TFALT408DCP is probably the full model number, T408DL the abbreviate version. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    TFALT408DCP is probably the full model number, T408DL the abbreviate version. Maybe someone can confirm this?
    I believe the Model# is T208DL. The Part# is TFALT408DCP.
    The combination is what many ebay etc. buyers fail to match up when they're seeking a true factory unlocked phone and end up with a branded unlocked phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StymiedToo View Post
    I found this which says the TCL Flip 2 has a Qualcomm 1.3GHz processor. However they're calling it a TFALT408DCP, not a T408DL that IsLand_BoY has. Could a "DCP" be yet a different model than a "DL"?
    https://order.petra.com/tracfone-tfa...martphone.html
    Here is the FCC ID if you want to look: https://gov.fccid.io/2ACCJN059

Looks like we have to wait till July 27th to get internal photos to see the CPU.

I know places have Nokia 2760 Flip listed as having a Snapdragon 205 CPU, but if you look at the FCC ID, there is internal photos that shows it has Snapdragon 215 CPU.

Edit: I was looking at the FCC ID closer. I found out what 4058W/G/L from my first post are. W is T-Mobile variant, L is USCC variant which I think is US Cellular, and G is Dish variant. These are all a variant of T408DL.

So I looked at the FCC ID for TCL Classic 4058C again which is https://gov.fccid.io/2ACCJN060. I found out that the 4058C is a variant of 4058R which is an AT&T variant of T408DL.

Not sure if you can understand the FCC documents, but I thought I would add that.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 06-19-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast