Thread: Tower congestion or?

Feedback Score

Tower congestion or?

For the last year or more, I’ve experienced ever increasing periods of connectivity issues. Phone shows full bars and often 5G even UC. But, checking mail or website, it says that you are not connected to the internet or the page loads incredibly slow. Speed tests show download of sometimes less than 1 if anything and no upload. I wait a few seconds to minutes and it says up 500 or more and download of 100 or more. I’ve also been getting more and more voicemails where the phone never rang.
    New phone, reset network, etc. nothing helped. Is this a tower congestion issue???

Feedback Score
    May be a tower issue. I live in an area with two towers impaired for over three weeks. Had to swx carriers.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Verizon (personal phone) / Tracfone AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    We need to eliminate one of the two potentials causes — your device or the tower. Here are the first three things I would test — realizing you may not be able to try all of them. But try as many as possible and report back here:

Do you have another device to try your SIM in?

Do you have a friend with T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs that can try their device in your same location?

Can you try to force LTE only on your device?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Location (approximately)? Also, if you have a Samsung device, try disabling 5g N71 NSA only. Ihave found it to act like a base band, and bring down performance in general when congested or hanging on. N41 will drop much easier, and in many areas has much higher capacity.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Location is 55447. West metro of Mpls. Iphone 13
    I switched from a sim to Esim with no improvement. It must be the tower/s or just congestion. Several of my colleagues have mentioned similar issues. I think they are growing faster than their system can handle.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suspect mostly 5g n71 vs 5g n41.vs lte only. When I leave service on auto, I'll often end up with 5g nsa n71 + lte. Next to a very high performance site, I left it as auto, and had this:
    5g n71 NSA + lte b2 + lte b66, speed 100Mbps.
    Disable n71, and end up on n41
    5G N41 NSA + LTE B2 + LTE B66 speed 1700Mbps
    Disable all 5g
    LTE B2 + B66 + B71 speed 400Mbps
    LtE B2 + B66 speed 350Mbps
    LtE B41 only speed 230Mbps.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't allow specific band selection

Feedback Score

Tower congestion or?

I just had this as well. I was inside a Lowes and full service. I had full bars but could barely run the Lowes.com App.
    After a bit of tinkering it dropped UC and went to Extended Range 5G and the App loaded, although slowly.

I should qualify this and say I have an Adblocker VPN running via NextDNS.
    A Speedtest shied 3-5 Mbps down.
    So some of it is probably the Lowes App has trackers and is calling home a lot and getting blocked by my Ad Blocker.

In case like this should I disable 5G or toggle Airplane mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    if you have a Samsung device... disable n71 SA mode. 5g uc is typically weaker than AWS/PCS, so it will drop on its own. That will leave you with LTE.

Feedback Score
    One other thing, running Dual Sim seems to cause strange issues. I am considering leaving my Dual Sim turned off for this reason. No idea why Dual Sim plays into this but I think I will be turning it off unless I need it or at least just the data portion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    if you have a Samsung device... disable n71 SA mode. 5g uc is typically weaker than AWS/PCS, so it will drop on its own. That will leave you with LTE.

Thanks! iPhone here.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekfranz View Post
    Thanks! iPhone here.

Cellmapper shows LTE and band 41 / 71 in near (at) Lowes.
    32nd Avenue North, Plymouth, Hennepin County, Minnesota, 55447, United States
    https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0143...7i13312!8i6656

I'm doubtful on 'overall' congestion if you're able to get 500Mbps at times. I suspect that your phone may be flipping between ... LTE, 5G (B71 SA), and 5G NSA (LTE + n41).
    Often I've seen those using 5G SA or 5G NSA n71 to have awful performance, as n71 becomes more of a 'primary' band and LTE is used as needed (QoS).

I've had my phone in 'auto', often picking up 5G (n71 NSA + LTE) and having poor performance. Disabling 5G ends up with often ... better.
    Typical 5G n71 ~15MHz ... unloaded = good for upto ~150Mbps
    LTE at that site, lists PCS (B2) 20MHz, AWS (B66) 20MHz, LTE 700 B12/17 10MHz + LTE 600 (B71 capacity not shown)
    B2/B66 using 4x4 MIMO alone is good for +300Mbps, adding in B12, you can push over 400Mbps.

n41 (UC) 40MHz with LTE will push around 500Mbps. In my area, n41 has 100MHz + 40MHz + LTE above, giving +1800Mbps.

This doesn't look like a heavily urban area, and the tower is colocated (American Tower / Crown Castle ?), it should have fiber, but is possibly set to ~1Gbps/sector (many in my area don't go past ~850Mbps).
    It is possible that 'upstream' aggregation at T-Mobile's gateway could be maxed.

Feedback Score

Tower congestion or?

Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Cellmapper shows LTE and band 41 / 71 in near (at) Lowes.
    32nd Avenue North, Plymouth, Hennepin County, Minnesota, 55447, United States
    https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0143...7i13312!8i6656

I'm doubtful on 'overall' congestion if you're able to get 500Mbps at times. I suspect that your phone may be flipping between ... LTE, 5G (B71 SA), and 5G NSA (LTE + n41).
    Often I've seen those using 5G SA or 5G NSA n71 to have awful performance, as n71 becomes more of a 'primary' band and LTE is used as needed (QoS).

I've had my phone in 'auto', often picking up 5G (n71 NSA + LTE) and having poor performance. Disabling 5G ends up with often ... better.
    Typical 5G n71 ~15MHz ... unloaded = good for upto ~150Mbps
    LTE at that site, lists PCS (B2) 20MHz, AWS (B66) 20MHz, LTE 700 B12/17 10MHz + LTE 600 (B71 capacity not shown)
    B2/B66 using 4x4 MIMO alone is good for +300Mbps, adding in B12, you can push over 400Mbps.

n41 (UC) 40MHz with LTE will push around 500Mbps. In my area, n41 has 100MHz + 40MHz + LTE above, giving +1800Mbps.

This doesn't look like a heavily urban area, and the tower is colocated (American Tower / Crown Castle ?), it should have fiber, but is possibly set to ~1Gbps/sector (many in my area don't go past ~850Mbps).
    It is possible that 'upstream' aggregation at T-Mobile's gateway could be maxed.
    Thanks for the expert advice! Minnesota…that’s the land of ten thousand lakes right?

Try this Lowes:
    https://goo.gl/maps/xRdscxPX49sMm1et8

Feedback Score
    I was at the same Lowes and same problem, slow Lowes App but full T-Mobile bars.

So I forced the phone to LTE and that made data work! Thanks again for the tip!