Thread: Moving SIM to another phone

Feedback Score

Moving SIM to another phone

I recently got a free OnePlus Nord N200 5G phone from T-Mobile (T-Mobile version).

I temporarily SIM-unlocked it (for 1 month) via T-Mobile app and tested by putting H2O SIM into it, everything worked - calls, text and data.

I then put my PagePlus SIM (initially activated and usually residing in TrackFone-branded 4G LTE phone I purchased from PagePlus several years ago) in N200.

After I powered N200 on it did show an LTE indicator for a few seconds that later disappeared. When I tried to place a call it said something along the lines "Please put your SIM card in the phone where it was initially activated". I am fairly confident this response was a pre-recorded message from the carrier (PagePlus or TrackFone or Verizon).

So what's going on? Am I supposed to go through the PagePlus customer service any time I want to move my SIM to another phone even if the phone is compatible?

Feedback Score
    You once could swap sims with Page Plus but maybe they changed that now to conform to other TF companies and Verizon.

But since your phones a T-Mobile, even if it's unlocked, it may not be compatible with Verizon (PP). Not all unlocked phones support all networks.

Plus I never heard of a temporary unlock ????

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'll be interested in hearing any definitive explanations on this.

It could be that VZW (which PPC is trying to operate on) in your area operates on a band that the N200 doesn't have available (due to it being a T-Mobile-issued phone), so it'd be good to check LTE bands on that.

For instance, likely VZW/PPC is using Band 13 (a 700 MHz band) among others. That one is not used for T-Mobile, so if the device is tailored for them and not "unlocked" they might leave it out or block it. I don't know if there is a factory-unlocked, use-at-large version of the N200.

Other bands that they roughly have in common would be 2, 4, 66 (which is an extension of 4). But this doesn't mean they're available from the VZW tower serving your location.

So a little research on both the handset and what bands those two carriers are using in your area would be pretty revealing, I suspect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    You once could swap sims with Page Plus but maybe they changed that now to conform to other TF companies and Verizon.

But since your phones a T-Mobile, even if it's unlocked, it may not be compatible with Verizon (PP). Not all unlocked phones support all networks.

Plus I never heard of a temporary unlock ????
    I moved my Page Plus SIM to a different phone a few weeks ago without a message to put it back in the phone was paired with or any problem.

That does not prove that something has not changed since then.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    ....I then put my PagePlus SIM (initially activated and usually residing in TrackFone-branded 4G LTE phone I purchased from PagePlus several years ago) in N200.
    This brings up another question: What 4G/LTE phone was the sim from ?

Did you check the N200 imei in the PP checker ? Some 5G phones aren't in there yet; and I'd assume TMO branded ones may not be.

Also the T-Mobile website indicates the N200 has band 13 but only for roaming. Being T-Mobile, even if unlocked, it was TMO firmware that could prevent b13 unless you're using a tmo sim and roaming in a vzw area. But it does have the rest of the Vzw bands. Which still begs the question: What the heck is temporary unlock?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    This brings up another question: What 4G/LTE phone was the sim from ?

Did you check the N200 imei in the PP checker ? Some 5G phones aren't in there yet; and I'd assume TMO branded ones may not be.

Also the T-Mobile website indicates the N200 has band 13 but only for roaming. Being T-Mobile, even if unlocked, it was TMO firmware that could prevent b13 unless you're using a tmo sim and roaming in a vzw area. But it does have the rest of the Vzw bands. Which still begs the question: What the heck is temporary unlock?
    I didn't check IMEI with PP checker.

Temporary unlock: there is a T-Mobile app on the phone that allows you to carrier-unlock if you are eligible. To permanently unlock phone has to be activated for 365 days (it hasn't been) or you have to spend at least $100 in refills (I did but this fact is not recognized). Until either of these are satisfied I can still unlock for 30 days (which I did) after which it will revert to be locked to T-Mobile, and I can do this 5 times a year. There is no need to call T-Mo for 30 day unlock, it is all just a few button clicks away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    I didn't check IMEI with PP checker.
    So what model 4G/LTE phone was the PP sim in?

Could be it just isn't provisioned right for the new phone.

Feedback Score
    I had a similar experience. I ordered a "new open box" Motorola Droid Turbo 2 on eBay. Got the same message (I thought it meant "temporary move the SIM back ). Second level CS somehow made it work. That phone turned out defective so I got a replacement. Again, "Please replace SIM..". This time , CS would not budge. eBay seller just gave me a refund. 3rd phone worked out of the box (as expected based on prior experience) but Page Plus confiscated my balance - see other thread.