Thread: Is the Nokia 5190 Still Compatible with The Latest Ting Mobile Sim x3?

Feedback Score

Is the Nokia 5190 Still Compatible with The Latest Ting Mobile Sim x3?

I ask because, since my StarTAC is now dead (because Sprint's CDMA network is gone), I thought I'd transfer the number (or cancel and port in another) to Ting's GSM side, so I'm not paying for an unusable number. However, I'm not sure if Ting's latest SIMs will work on my Nokia 5190, which I'd want to use if possible.

When I first got Ting service back in 2017 or so, the then-current SIM worked just fine (it's still activated as of now and still works fine), but I remember in 2018 or so, there were some new SIMs coming out that the 5190 wasn't compatible with (it'd either not recognize it or it would crash, I can't remember), but as of 2019, Ting's new SIMs were still known to be compatible.

Fast forward to 2022, and now we have 5G, which, of course, is a new variable.

I'm assuming that no present day 5G-capable SIMs will work, but maybe some still do? Maybe I can still find an older Ting SIM which is still valid and use that?

If it won't work on the 5190, I can always put the new SIM in one of my other 2G/3G phones, and use my known-working one instead, so it's not a big deal really. I'm just curious.

Thanks,

c

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Right now, 5G isn't a major factor for many. It was designed to work with 4G networks, so when 5G is not available the phone will fall back to 4G. There are no US carriers requiring 5G at this time and the 4G isn't going anywhere in the near time frame.

While I am not certain, I don't know that the Nokia 5190 is compatible any longer. The carriers in the US have stopped activating CDMA handsets (3G) and I am not sure the 5190 supports VOLTE (Voice over LTE), which is a requirement now to activate. According to what I read online that phone was first introduced in 1999.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Yeah, being a 1999 phone, the Nokia 5190 only does 2G GSM at 1900MHz, so definitely no LTE capability.

That being said, it sounds pretty much like for me to know definitively whether it works or not, I'll have to get a SIM and try it.

I ordered one, and hopefully it'll arrive by next week or so.

c

Feedback Score
    OK, got a brand new SIM today and activated it.

Sadly, the 5190 rejected it right off, so it looks like it's a no-go unless I find an older unactivated SIM that hasn't expired.

It would be interesting to get a SIM reader/programmer and compare this new SIM to my older, working one to see exactly why it's rejected, and how they're different. It could be that for someone with advanced enough capabilities (i.e., someone who has a programmer and knows how to use it), some bits in the new SIM could be fiddled with to enable legacy compatibility.

Be that as it may, I wonder if this new SIM will work in any of my RAZRs....

c

Feedback Score
    OK, it's no good in the RAZRs too. Jeez! this is getting depressing....

I have a few pre-LTE iPhones I could try, but it's looking like older 2G phones are dead in the water with this new SIM, even though compatible signals still exist.

Feedback Score
    Why do you want to use such old phones?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    Why? Well, because I like them

I don't have to use any of these -- I also have a brand new 5G iPhone -- but I appreciate the relative simplicity of these old phones, and I have yet to see anything LTE or 5G based that can come anywhere close in that regard.

c

Feedback Score
    Do you carry them in addition to your iphone or instead of?

Feedback Score
    Yes, I do.

What I do is I use the iPhone for web browsing, email and text messaging, and them I use the Nokia (or whichever phone I happen to have) for the one thing they're designed to be really good at: making and receiving phone calls.

Anyway, to summarize my findings and observations so far:
    • The newest Ting SIM cards, while they're technically the same on a hardware level, are not provisioned for 2G or 3G, so they will not work in older phones. VoLTE-capable phones would thus seem to be the minimum requirement here, as earlier models require a fallback to 2G/3G in order to make/receive calls, which obviously doesn't work when the SIM card isn't provisioned for 2G.
    • Slightly older NOS Ting SIM cards (made as recently as last year) seem to be properly provisioned for 2G, and thus work properly in 2G phones such as the Nokia 5190 and RAZR. And although I haven't yet had the opportunity to try this, it would seem that they are still able to be activated, with the caveat that they likely aren't properly provisioned for 5G (not a big loss for now, as LTE is at least as fast as 5G and has much better coverage).
    • The issues that Nokia 5110/6110-series phones have had with larger SIM cards seems to be moot; empirical evidence suggests to me so far that, while SIM card memory sizes were trending larger a few years ago, with the increasing prevalence of smartphones, carriers (or, at least, MVNOs) seem to not bother with larger sizes anymore because the vast majority of users store their messages and contacts in the phone's internal memory, rather than on the SIM card, thereby making any SIM card storage larger than the minimum 16KB redundant and unnecessary.

c

Feedback Score
    Well, this is frustrating!

I can activate the 5190-compatible SIM, but Ting has decided to block me because the old SIMs are no longer valid – one must update to the new X3 SIM (which will only work properly in the iPhone 6s or newer).

EDIT: Forget it. Apparently T-Mobile itself is refusing to activate non-VoLTE phones now (basically everything before 2015), and as far as I can tell, this also applies to older, but otherwise viable 2 and 3G provisioned card, even if it's being used with an otherwise supported device. So what this means, from what I can tell, is that 2G phones are being locked out of the network (those which were activated before last year are still usable, it seems) and activating service on a modern, supported GSM phone and swapping the SIM into an old 2G one is no longer a viable workaround.

And apparently all T-Mobile MVNOs are also complying with this, so there's no escaping it.

I hate forced obsolescence!

c

Feedback Score
    I did some tests with Freedompop/T-Mobile SIM card from Walmart

Nokia 1661: registers on T-Mobile network, fully functional (voice, text, no data because the phone does not support data)
    Nokia 3120b: sees T-Mobile network, but does not register on the network
    Nokia C3-00: registers on T-Mobile network, fully functional (voice, text, 2G data)
    Nokia C3-01: registers on T-Mobile network, fully functional (voice, text, 2G data)
    Nokia 6301 (T-Mobile branded): registers on T-Mobile network, fully functional (voice, text, no data because it uses weird T-Mobile DNS server which is down more than 10 years)
    Nokia 2330-2c (T-Mobile branded): No operator found
    Nokia Asha 311: fully functional (voice, text, 2G/3G data)
    --------------------------
    Nokia Lumia 640 ( Windows Phone 8.1, T-Mobile branded, supports VoLTE on T-Mobile): registers on T-Mobile network, fully functional (voice, text, LTE data, VoLTE)

Alcatel OneTouch ( Windows 10 Mobile, T-Mobile branded, supports VoLTE on T-Mobile): registers on T-Mobile network, fully functional (voice, text, LTE data, VoLTE)

For Non-VoLTE phones:

Other Nokia Lumia/Microsoft Lumia phones on Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile (non-VoLTE compatible with T-Mobile): fully functional (voice, text). Regarding data: depending on phone, 2G or 3G or LTE. Obviously, no VoLTE

iPhone4s (AT&T branded): fully functional (voice, text, 2G data because the phone does not support T-Mobile 3G and LTE bands)

All Android non-VoLTE phone: fully functional (voice, text, data depending on supported bands)

As you can see, you cannot activate new SIM in non-VoLTE phone bu tyou can use already activated SIM in non-VoLTE phone

Note 1: foreign SIM cards can be used with non-VoLTE phones on T-Mobile network without restrictions. In worst case scenario they connect to T-Mobile 2G network.

Note 2: Telnyx (IoT SIM, data and text only, no voice) can be used only in VoLTE compatible phones on T-Mobile (and AT&T) even if it actually does not need VoLTE because it does not have voice capabilities. Pretty weird.
    Last edited by RFK; 08-09-2022 at 09:37 PM.