Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Accessibility Features & Accessories

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    It's almost like they're laughing when they're saying these things about products being useful for Old Folks. Certainly a percentage of their customers are seniors but it's mildly offensive to market the items that way.

The flashing doorbell alert is a good idea. Have you seen the ads for devices on the door that show the caller on a cellphone and you can talk to them through it even if you're not home. That's an interesting idea. I guess when they ring the doorbell, it's dealt with like a video call and a notification alert comes through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
    Part of it is cultural differences around the world. I have worn a hearing aid (one ear is completely deaf) for about 50 years or so and just a few years ago I got a battery powered door bell that flashes as well as rings. It came out of China and advertised in such a way as to make it being used by an OLD MAN an advantage. I did tip the seller off to the fact that age is not a selling point in the USA.
    Sent from my LGL163BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    We now have an accessibility features forum! Jane B & Frail thanks for helping to bring it about. I hope in the future it will be helpful to people who need it.

ʘ‿ʘ

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    We now have an accessibility features forum! Jane B & Frail thanks for helping to bring it about. I hope in the future it will be helpful to people who need it.

ʘ‿ʘ

Not just for those that need it but there are things that I am familiar with because of hearing problems that I believe those without hearing loss can find helpful. For example I can see someone without hearing loss using Google's Live Transcribe (which is now part of the later versions of the Android OS) for someone to talk directly into a mic in a noisy place. That allows what they say to be read on the phone with Live Transcribe running as a way around the noise.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Not just for those that need it but there are things that I am familiar with because of hearing problems that I believe those without hearing loss can find helpful. For example I can see someone without hearing loss using Google's Live Transcribe (which is now part of the later versions of the Android OS) for someone to talk directly into a mic in a noisy place. That allows what they say to be read on the phone with Live Transcribe running as a way around the noise.
    I looked it up on Google Play and here's the link to the page it can be installed from.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibility.scribe

The reviews didn't necessarily look that great but a person should try out an application first before rejecting it.

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I looked it up on Google Play and here's the link to the page it can be installed from.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ibility.scribe

The reviews didn't necessarily look that great but a person should try out an application first before rejecting it.

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app
    I have used it since it first came out and most of the errors can be understood out of context. Like using the wrong spelling of something that sounds the same but is spelled different depending on meaning in the sentence it is used in. I have also found a corded mic to be a help to get it close to the speaker you are wanting to transcribe and still see you cell phone screen easily.

Some things can be understood but are quite memorable. Like the time during the Christmas season several years ago it had my pastor saying Jesus was born in a bar rather than a barn. From the description of that inn in the Bible I think it might not have been that far off. I don't think I will ever forget that one!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I have used it since it first came out and most of the errors can be understood out of context. Like using the wrong spelling of something that sounds the same but is spelled different depending on meaning in the sentence it is used in. I have also found a corded mic to be a help to get it close to the speaker you are wanting to transcribe and still see you cell phone screen easily.

Some things can be understood but are quite memorable. Like the time during the Christmas season several years ago it had my pastor saying Jesus was born in a bar rather than a barn. From the description of that inn in the Bible I think it might not have been that far off. I don't think I will ever forget that one!
    That is a hoot about the bar and the barn.

That mixup is one of the things I deal with when using voice to text. It sometimes produces some pretty bad ones.

Yesterday I was trying to dictate a post in the forum here and it tried to substitute a ★b★ word of a totally unacceptable sort.

I have to continually monitor what it's writing or I would be sending people things that would include some pretty rough language. I'm surprised some of those words are even in the dictionary and the thing would even type it. Sometimes I can't even get it to recognize common words.

I usually deselect blocking offensive language in settings because I use words that it doesn't always recognize and it might think of it as offensive language.

It seems like the vocabulary or dictionary that voice to text uses is much narrower than the one the keyboard uses when I'm writing manually with my finger.

Voice to text makes a mistake so then I have to go back to manually correct it and I use the keyboard dictionary. It usually gets the word right. Despite the mistakes, voice dictation usually works best for me.

About the microphone. I use corded headsets to talk on the phone or listen to music. A headset helps to improve understanding between me and whoever I'm talking to. Otherwise I use speakerphone but sometimes they can't understand me and I can't understand them very well because of background noise.

I tried using a headset plugged into the phone to see if it would improve the accuracy of voice to text. Accuracy seems to differ from phone to phone even if I'm using the same model.

The headset did seem to help some but it was clunky to wear since I wear a neck pillow to reduce the movement of my head while I'm working. The more my head moves the more my body moves. Right now I'm trying to do without the pillow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2