Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy A51 S515DL Android 12 Update

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do you have to get the bootloader unlocked before you can flash the firmware? TF is really good at locking stuff on their TF-branded phones.

Device(s)
    Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Do you have to get the bootloader unlocked before you can flash the firmware? TF is really good at locking stuff on their TF-branded phones.
    My current understanding is that if it's official Samsung firmware then the Knox security framework will allow you to flash it onto the device. Once the stock non-Tracfone firmware is on there you should be able to unlock the bootloader. If you are planning to load a custom ROM might I ask which one and why? Cheers

Device(s)
    Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashcann View Post
    When my APN changed after the update I could not edit my APN either but after about 10 minutes I could. Since I did not know what the correct APN was this did me no good but the phone loaded the correct APN eventually. I can edit my APN now so this must have been a temporary glitch in the system.
    VZWINTERNET is what is now showing on my phone with LTE working properly. It's a full day later and I still cannot edit any field other than the APN name. All other fields are greyed out. Is this normal? Thanks

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero69 View Post
    If you are planning to load a custom ROM might I ask which one and why?
    I'm not planning on messing around with my TF-unlocked A51. I was just commenting about the posts where people wanted to get rid of the TF logo at start up.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    VZWINTERNET is what is now showing on my phone with LTE working properly. It's a full day later and I still cannot edit any field other than the APN name. All other fields are greyed out. Is this normal? Thanks
    It must have something to do with the SIM card. I now have a FreedomPop Walmart (T-Mobile) SIM card in my A51. The APN fields are editable, and I can also create a new APN.

I forgot to check what I could do with the APN when I still had an active TF Vzw SIM in it. The balances have now been transferred to another TF line I take care of, so the SIM card is deactivated, and none of the other TF Vzw phones I take care of are in my possession.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    I've decided I don't like the A51 very much.

I especially don't like the process when I change SIM cards that loads apps and changes settings without me being able to do anything about it until it's done. I MUCH prefer the Motorola and Pixel versions of Android.

Also, the ability to pull in a signal on my A51 is much weaker, at least for the Vzw and T-Mobile networks, than on my Pixel 3a XL. The usability of a weak WiFi signal is also worse.

Oh, well. At least I was able to get my A51 unlocked, and at least the 7,000 add-a-line points credited to my account properly...

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2020, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    VZWINTERNET is the correct APN for TF branded phones. My unlocked TF A51 is not active but usually with the TF sim in I can only edit the APN and save it. I've had to do that a few times when the APN on the A51 or A20 would change to TRACFONE.VZWENPT after using the phone with a different provider sim and then putting back the TF sim. I'm not able to edit any other field or even add an APN with the TF sim in. Usually changing back to VZWINTERNET fixes LTE issues so it's all you need. With the 12 upgrade, while inactive, I could edit it back after I discovered it.

When I was using Tello with unlocked TF A51, I could edit all the APN fields and create new and multiple APNs.

With the unlocked TF A51, I had to create two APNs (following their instructions) with many fields filled out to use it with Tello as I recall.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, iPhone SE 2020, Samsung A51, Samsung A20
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just to clarify: I can edit the APN field here:

Name:  Screenshot_20220527-090609_Settings.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  22.6 KB

Not the APN Name field above it or any of the other fields.

Usually that's all it takes to get LTE working if other APN was there. It's usually an instant fix.

Device(s)
    Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So the SIM itself can lock us out of editing the APN fields? Well that makes perfect sense actually. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this information! At least now I know my A51 phone is not experiencing a side effect due to the Android 12 upgrade. This seems to be an issue with Tracfone or Verizon and my particular SIM card. Bought phone from tracfone store on eBay with bundled SIM. However I did not use the bundled SIM but instead used my existing Verizon/Tracfone SIM. Perhaps that is why I had this issue, don't care now that it's working but elaborating to help others who may experience this issue and come here looking for an answer.

Android 12 has been great so far and runs well on A51 phone. Baffling why I can't just text APN to 611611 and have the carrier push the correct APN automatically. Equally baffling that it didn't just automatically configure after the Android upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    VZWINTERNET is the correct APN for TF branded phones. My unlocked TF A51 is not active but usually with the TF sim in I can only edit the APN and save it. I've had to do that a few times when the APN on the A51 or A20 would change to TRACFONE.VZWENPT after using the phone with a different provider sim and then putting back the TF sim. I'm not able to edit any other field or even add an APN with the TF sim in. Usually changing back to VZWINTERNET fixes LTE issues so it's all you need. With the 12 upgrade, while inactive, I could edit it back after I discovered it.

When I was using Tello with unlocked TF A51, I could edit all the APN fields and create new and multiple APNs.

With the unlocked TF A51, I had to create two APNs (following their instructions) with many fields filled out to use it with Tello as I recall.
    PS - Alex from TracFone Wireless sent me a private message which was a copy paste directing me Tracfone's utterly useless support website. His inbox is full so I couldn't reply to him. Complete waste of time asking me to contact support when my phone's LTE is now working since, you know, I already contacted support on this issue and stated as such on here already. It's a shame Tracfone can't hire an employee who could've simply told me "Hey bro you can't edit APN fields due to the SIM locking them". Their phone and chat support staff are not tech savvy at all. They just read a script and don't seem to really know why the APN would not update itself as it is supposed to. But whatever, they got it working on first attempt and that's all that matters. Tracfone is super cheap but I know now I'll pay for the service with my time whenever it breaks

Many thanks to the users who replied here offering advice and help. It is greatly appreciated.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Bought phone from tracfone store on eBay with bundled SIM. However I did not use the bundled SIM but instead used my existing Verizon/Tracfone SIM.
    It has been reported that when Verizon/TF updates the "new" SIM/IMEI combination, the replaced bundled airtime SIM is scrubbed out of existence.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A51
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Thanks! Changing the APN from TRACFONE.VZWENPT to VZWINTERNET fixed my phones
    Bob

Feedback Score

Fails to update android 12

My A51 try's to update, after download, reboot, says it is installing, reboot, message reads "Failed to update Software Fails to update Firmware visit Samsung service center. Any ideas?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you can't resolve it, see if there is a UbreakIfix store nearby. They are an authorized Samsung location. I only wish I could help you resolve the issue yourself.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Received this message from Alex at TracFone Wireless:
    We're sorry to hear that you encountered a problem while updating your phone's software. We would like to further investigate this matter with you so we can provide a concrete resolution. Please chat with us at http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH. You may also contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-867-7183. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. You may also text the keyword HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.

I replied:
    Alex I would agree with you about a "so we can provide a concrete resolution". I have encountered just the opposite. Several calls and call backs and hours on the phone have produced no solution to this problem. I now have made an appointment with a Samsung service center.

To which I was informed:

The following errors occurred with your submission
    AlexTrac has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Just another day with Tracfone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S22 Ultra, Pixel 6, iPhone SE2
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (VZW), Red Pocket (TMO), Cricket (ATT), FreeUp (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GARYRENO View Post

The following errors occurred with your submission
    AlexTrac has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Just another day with Tracfone.

AlexTrac is a canned message bot that only sends, but not receive, messages.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast