Thread: Simple web-based speed test

Carrier(s)
    taking Mobi out for a test drive
    Feedback Score

Simple web-based speed test

I'm comparing a couple different hotspots and I would like to perform a speed test on each of them. I know there are lots of speed tests out there but I am looking for one that is web based (not an app) that I can launch while connected to the hotspot that will show the results. Any suggestions?
    If you think the pandemic is bad now, just wait. Doctors tell us the next variant plays the accordion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I'm comparing a couple different hotspots and I would like to perform a speed test on each of them. I know there are lots of speed tests out there but I am looking for one that is web based (not an app) that I can launch while connected to the hotspot that will show the results. Any suggestions?
    Really simple:
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/simple

It does not report upload speed. The tests use 300KB to load the page and 300KB or 6MB to run the test depending on which one you run. The GPRS/3G test using 300KB is not very accurate. The 4G/Wifi test using 6MB is more accurate, but no where near as accurate as the Ookla app. This is my goto if I just want to check to see if it is worth bothering to try to use data. The 300KB test only takes a few seconds.

More complete:
    http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

This one reports download and upload speed. You can configure it for how much data you want to use. 2 download and upload streams and download budget of 10MB is accurate enough for a simple test. If you don't care how much data you use it is more accurate. You have to leave it running on the screenundisturbed to work - switching to a different tab will interrupt it.

speedof.me is pretty accurate and takes about the same time and amount of data as the Ookla app.

Ookla also runs a web page speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/

Fast.com is useful if you want to see what your plan does with video streaming. It is run by Netflix and carriers will throttle your data as if you are streaming video, if the plan/carrier does that.

Feedback Score
    The best one I've found is an app. Android FCC Speed Test App.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Carrier(s)
    taking Mobi out for a test drive
    Feedback Score
    Is there a way to use an app with a hotspot?

Device(s)
    Note10+ , Galaxy Watch 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just type Speed Test in a new tab window and the top choice uses only 40MB of data , or less on slower connections like my Galaxy Watch 4 internet browser . It's within a couple of Mb of my Ookla app .
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16