Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Does PagePlus now support Wifi Calling?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does PagePlus now support Wifi Calling?

    "10. Wi-Fi Calling
    Wi-Fi Calling is available only on phones that are Wi-Fi Calling capable. Wi-Fi Calling provides you the ability to make and receive phone calls and text messages over a Wi-Fi connection."

    That's from the latest version (202203) of the PagePlus "Terms and Conditions of Service" (T&C).

    The document can be found here:
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/terms-and-conditions/


    When I read through an earlier version of the T&C last year, I don't recall any mention of Wifi calling, so I think this must be a newly supported feature.

    Can any PagePlus subscribers with a phone supporting Wifi calling confirm that this feature is now working?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,477
    Feedback Score
    0
    I asked them maybe about a month ago and they said not yet. Just do a chat and ask and let us know.
    As far as the T&Cs, often things like that on PP website are just copies of Tracfone's info.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just did a quick online chat with PagePlus.

    The agent said that they did not support Wifi calling.

    I then asked a follow-on question:

    "You: Does PagePlus now allow customers to tether their phone or use it as a mobile hotspot?
    Pageplus: Yes, it depends on the device if it supports tethering."

    If the CSR is correct about this, that's a significant change at PagePlus. I recall that the PagePlus T&C from last year explicitly forbade tethering/hotspot; the latest version of the T&C no longer mentions tethering/hotspot, so maybe it actually is now allowed.

    For what it's worth, the support pages on the PagePlus website (probably copied from Tracfone) now show tethering/hotspot instructions:
    https://support.pagepluscellular.com...-android-phone

    Does anybody here with a PagePlus account and a capable phone care to test tethering/hotspot capability?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,477
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jambarg View Post
    Does anybody here with a PagePlus account and a capable phone care to test tethering/hotspot capability?
    I do but when I get time I'm going to bounce that one off PP first.
    Like you said, those instructions read basically the same across all TF companies and some of them have plans that specifically say HS allowed. Page Plus doesn't call that out in any of their plans. At least not yet.
    Also, you could always use HS on a compatible device, it just put you as going against TCs and subject to punishment. There have been people that did it with low usage occasionally with no ramifications.

    It's my understanding that after some version of the OS the carrier needs to provision it. Older OS versions don't need provisioned and can still access it even if a plan doesn't allow it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jambarg View Post
    "10. Wi-Fi Calling
    Wi-Fi Calling is available only on phones that are Wi-Fi Calling capable. Wi-Fi Calling provides you the ability to make and receive phone calls and text messages over a Wi-Fi connection."
    On my iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 15.4.1 I can turn it on but I don’t know how to test whether it works. (In the past, it wouldn’t turn on.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jambarg View Post
    Does anybody here with a PagePlus account and a capable phone care to test tethering/hotspot capability?
    On my iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 15.4.1, under Setting → Cellular there is an option for “Set Up Hotspot.” However, tapping it brings up a dialog that says, “To enable personal hotspot on this account, contact TFW at 611 or visit http://m.tracfone.com”

    I called PPC support and was told that my plan ($29.95 with Unlimited minutes and text and data; first 3GB LTE speed) does not include hotspot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nellobird View Post
    On my iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 15.4.1 I can turn it on but I don’t know how to test whether it works. (In the past, it wouldn’t turn on.)
    I think the trick is to put the phone in airplane mode (which disconnects it from the cellular network) and then enable Wifi. Assuming that you've already turned on Wifi calling and inputted your e911 address, any phone calls will have to travel over Wifi since you don't have a connection to the cellular network.

    You might find this video helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezwnf83G_qQ

    When you're done with this experiment, remember to turn off airplane mode on your phone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,334
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nellobird View Post
    I called PPC support and was told that my plan ($29.95 with Unlimited minutes and text and data; first 3GB LTE speed) does not include hotspot.
    Yep, only the more expensive plans have hotspot. Same is true with Tracfone, Total Wireless, and Straight Talk.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    11
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yep, only the more expensive plans have hotspot. Same is true with Tracfone, Total Wireless, and Straight Talk.
    Are you saying you know of a case where somebody has tethering/hotspot working on one of PagePlus' more expensive plans ($39.95 and $55)?

    Because on the PagePlus website none of the descriptions of the PagePlus plans mention tethering/hotspot as being supported. I'm not quite convinced that this is yet allowed on PagePlus, even though the PagePlus CSR I chatted with yesterday said tethering/hotspot is allowed.

    Can any PagePlus subscriber using a late-model, unrooted phone report that they they actually have tethering/hotspot working? If so, which plan are you on?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,334
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jambarg View Post
    Because on the PagePlus website none of the descriptions of the PagePlus plans mention tethering/hotspot as being supported. I'm not quite convinced that this is yet allowed on PagePlus, even though the PagePlus CSR I chatted with yesterday said tethering/hotspot is allowed.
    Correct, Page Plus does not list hotspot with any of the plans like the other Tracfone companies do. The CSRs are notoriously bad, and I assume they don't have it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jambarg View Post
    I think the trick is to put the phone in airplane mode (which disconnects it from the cellular network) and then enable Wifi. Assuming that you've already turned on Wifi calling and inputted your e911 address, any phone calls will have to travel over Wifi since you don't have a connection to the cellular network.

    You might find this video helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezwnf83G_qQ

    When you're done with this experiment, remember to turn off airplane mode on your phone.
    As of today, I cannot text via wifi on my PagePlus phone(s). Though for the life of me I can't figure out why. If I'm using wifi, shouldn't I be going "around" the PagePlus network? Friends with other cellular services can do it, why can't I? Lol
    Last edited by Kirkcellular; 07-18-2022 at 08:41 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,374
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    You mean using the RCS Chat features of your texting app (most likely Messages)? As long as you verify you have network connectivity, pretty much the only thing I would try is to make sure both the Messages app as well as the Carrier Services app are up to date. Restart, and try again.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,868
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkcellular View Post
    As of today, I cannot text via wifi on my PagePlus phone(s). Though for the life of me I can't figure out why. If I'm using wifi, shouldn't I be going "around" the PagePlus network? Friends with other cellular services can do it, why can't I? Lol
    WiFi texting seems to be a feature that is hit or miss right now. It just depends on other things.

    iPhone with iMessage and RCS with Android can do this too. iMessage and RCS uses data over SMS/MMS systems tho.

    iMessage to RCS and the other way around still need to use SMS/MMS because they are not compatible with each other.

    If you have iMessage or RCS enable, I have seen WiFi texting with SMS/RCS works for some people.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,374
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I gave my reply without asking about iOS vs. Android, but I figured it was Android since I've never heard an iPhone user refer to it as "Wi-Fi texting." But we'll need to hear back from that poster.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    43
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    WiFi texting seems to be a feature that is hit or miss right now. It just depends on other things.

    iPhone with iMessage and RCS with Android can do this too. iMessage and RCS uses data over SMS/MMS systems tho.

    iMessage to RCS and the other way around still need to use SMS/MMS because they are not compatible with each other.

    If you have iMessage or RCS enable, I have seen WiFi texting with SMS/RCS works for some people.
    Using new Android phone & software (Samsung Galaxy), latest Google messaging app, both supposed to be RCS capable, but doesn't work. The only variable seems to be good ol' PagePlus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Does Page Plus Support Wifi Calling
    By Landngroove in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2020, 01:53 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2019, 07:17 PM
  3. Does metro pcs support wifi calling on iPhone 6?
    By seduflow in forum MetroPCS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 06:07 PM
  5. Does fido support wifi calling? Thanks
    By kocoman in forum Fido
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Bookmarks