Thread: Cellular Data on PPC NOT Working

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Cellular Data on PPC NOT Working

Yesterday cellular data from Page Plus Cellular (PPC), a Verizon Wireless MVNO, stopped working on my iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 15.4.1. It was working before I installed a new “profile,” which I understand is technically referred to as an Access Point Name (APN).

I spent over three hours with at least five different customer service representatives from PPC trying to get back access to cellular data, including various combinations of:

• Turning off/on AirPlane Mode, WiFi, and Cellular
    • Power cycling the iPhone
    • Reseating the SIM card
    • Resetting Network Settings
    • Deleting and reinstalling the APN from various sources, including ivzwentp.tracfone.com and texting “APN” to 611611

I’m not able to view or edit the APN, apparently because PPC doesn’t permit it.

What else can I try to diagnose and fix my problem?

UPDATE:

Problem Solved by Removing the “profile”:

Settings → General → VPN & Device Management < tap profile and follow prompts to remove it >

I was told that on 5G-capable iPhones like mine, the profile must be removed (whereas it is required for LTE and lower devices). I was also told that a Software Update will automatically remove the profile if one is present.

Yesterday I mistakenly installed profile tracfone.vzwentp and apparently the mere presence of a profile, not the version of the profile, is what killed my cellular data access. I went through half a dozen customer service people last night and none tried removing the profile, they all tried to install a fresh one. All three tonight also tried to install a fresh one; finally the third one tried removing it: Voilŕ!
    Last edited by nellobird; 05-07-2022 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added Solution to Problem

Feedback Score
    PPC has nothing to do with the edit, I can do it on my android if I want. I think I read you can't edit APNs on Iphones, but don't know.
    You said you installed a new profile/APN and that's when the issue started, and also said you deleted and reinstalled the APN. Was that all done using some internet download tool? Why did you need a new profile?
    The APN is either tracfone.vzwentp or vzwinternet , depending on the phone.

Did you ask customer service to just re-provision the sim?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    PPC has nothing to do with the edit, I can do it on my android if I want. I think I read you can't edit APNs on Iphones, but don't know.
    I have an Apple iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 15.4.1.

According to this Apple article, “ You can only edit or view your APN on your iPhone and iPad if your carrier allows it.”

You said you installed a new profile/APN and that's when the issue started, and also said you deleted and reinstalled the APN. Was that all done using some internet download tool?
    I used two sources:
    1. Downloaded it from http://ivzwentp.tracfone.com/
    2. Texted “APN” to 611611

Do you know of another source?

Is this “internet download tool” that you refer to relevant for iOS devices?

Why did you need a new profile?
    I did NOT need a new APN. I mistakenly tapped on a link in a text from PPC during 2016. My mistake.

The APN is either tracfone.vzwentp or vzwinternet , depending on the phone.
    I think that the one that downloads from http://ivzwentp.tracfone.com/ is tracfone.vzwentp, but I’m not sure and I don’t know how to view the APN on an iPhone.

Do you have any idea which APN is appropriate for an iPhone?

Thank you for replying to my post.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I didn't know how Iphones work with APNs.

By "internet download tool" I was just referring to things like you tried.

I have 2 BYOPs that use the tracfone.vzwentp APN and once had a TF branded phone that used vzwinternet. Could have to do with being a BYOP vs branded phone. I really don't know for sure. I just know if one doesn't work the other will. Doesn't much matter if you can't change it anyway.

What about the Did you ask customer service to just re-provision the sim? That may kick it to what it's suppose to be.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Fixed. See UPDATE at bottom of my first/original post in this thread.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nellobird View Post
    Fixed. See UPDATE at bottom of my first/original post in this thread.
    Congrats. PPC like any mvno is mostly about getting the right CSR.