Thread: Please help - 10 cents/minute plan extension

Feedback Score

Please help - 10 cents/minute plan extension

(Sorry this is a long post).
    I’m helping an elderly family member with her AT&T Prepaid 10 cents/minute grandfathered plan. It’s an emergency/backup phone, hardly ever used, and has over $150 in balance.

I had thought that the plan was on auto-topup but it’s not. Close to the expiration date every year, her husband used to call customer service, and get the balance extended by a year. This has been happening since 2014, apparently. The phone reps used to extend the date because the balance was over $100.

The balance is set to expire next month and her husband is in bad health. So I called AT&T Prepaid's customer service and asked them to do what they have done for the last 8 years, and two reps told me that they couldn’t extend the expiration date.

The first rep said I had to add another $100 to get the date extended by a year. I thanked her, hung up, and called again a little later.

The second rep said the rules had changed and texted me a link that he said specified the rules because of which he couldn’t extend the expiration date like in the past. This is the link he gave me: https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prep...r04242017.html To me, that link seems to relate to AT&T’s AutoPay agreement, but autopay isn’t set up on her account.

(By the way, both reps “checked with the supervisor” and said the date couldn’t be extended by a year like was done in the past).

So my questions that I hope the wonderful people here will be able to help with:
    1) What’s the best way to try to convince the rep to extend the expiration date without adding additional money to the account? The service doesn’t get used at all, it was meant just for emergencies and is never used, so putting more money into it seems like a waste, especially given her limited means.

2) She said she doesn’t want to spend more money on phone plans now, given her husband’s bad-health situation. Given that the plan doesn’t get used, what do people here think is the best thing to do? (Edit - she has unlimited talk/text phone service already, and doesn't need data. So she doesn't want to just use up the balance by signing up for one of the monthly plans that AT&T-Prepaid offers). (AT&T Prepaid's plans are pretty pricey!)

3) The second rep mentioned that adding $1 to the account every month could extend the service date by 30 days. The $1 has to be added by credit card on top of the existing balance by calling in on the 29th day every month. He said it cannot be set to deduct $1 from the existing balance, someone has to call in and provide a credit card number. That could be a solution but I don’t know if it’s part of AT&T’s official rules or the rep was just saying it to get rid of me. Has anyone here heard of this, or used this $1 topup?

Any other thoughts, insights, help, regarding this situation much appreciated! Thank you!
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Number 3 sounds like something I've read. A special case like the extending of the balance by a year was.

Since the normal base amount is $10, you can't setup autopay.

I don't know of a good solution about this use case. Without knowing about what phone is tied to the account, the whitelist issue could come back and make things even more difficult.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Number 3 sounds like something I've read. A special case like the extending of the balance by a year was.

Since the normal base amount is $10, you can't setup autopay.

I don't know of a good solution about this use case. Without knowing about what phone is tied to the account, the whitelist issue could come back and make things even more difficult.
    Thanks for your input.

I had checked on that recently, and thankfully, the phone itself is on AT&T's whitelist. AT&T-Prepaid's Moto E5 Play.