Thread: Account Takeover Protection Now on Prepaid

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score

Account Takeover Protection Now on Prepaid

It appears that prepaid users on the current/new billing system now get the "Account Takeover Protection" feature that postpaid has had for awhile. I signed into my account today to change something and noticed this feature has been added an option—I checked the other lines and they’re there, too (all on the current billing system.):

Account Takeover Protection $0.00
    This free feature adds extra security to your account by blocking unauthorized users from transferring this line to another wireless carrier. For added security, you'll need to call us to remove this feature. Please note: To apply Takeover Protection to your entire account, you'll need to turn it on for each line separately.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, you also showed where:

Line details > Change plans & services > Continue to services
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...mment/i5mmxge/

On that page (never knew it existed), I also see a Call Protection Services section under Port Protection. Of the four options on that page, it seems I should check: Account Takeover Protection, and Caller ID.

I think I will leave Scam Block unchecked, because:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...th_scam_block/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...le_aggressive/
    Last edited by andyk88; 04-21-2022 at 12:36 PM.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk88 View Post
    Yeah, those got added a little while ago, although most people enabled them with shortcodes (#463# and another IIRC). I've left Caller ID and Scam Block on and it's worked fairly well, but I can totally understand if people find it too aggressive and disable it.

The only downside is that prepaid doesn't get access to the Scam Shield app, yet Metro and postpaid do. It's my understanding that that would allow some fine-tuning of those false positives.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again, I didn't know about any of these.

The Scam Shield app is preinstalled on the N200, and I do see:
    Scam Shield isn't available for Prepaid customers at this time.
    You can still block scam calls and turn on Caller ID from the Line Settings section of your My T-Mobile account.

People discussing Caller ID/Scam Block:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com..._subscription/

I think I will stick with the website instead of the short codes, because the codes may be different:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...ption/fzgbosd/
    https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...and-scam-block
    Dial #662# from your T-Mobile device
    T-Mobile prepaid customers can turn on Scam Block. Dial #436#, visit a store, or Contact us.
    https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...ce-short-codes
    Last edited by andyk88; 04-21-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, turned on Account Protection.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, just enabled it along with anti-spam and caller ID options as well.

Feedback Score
    Blocks transfer to another wireless carrier.. That doesn't prevent a SIM swap within the network. Their "security" has too many holes.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...inhood_hacked/

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I saw the Takeover Protection option.
    How does it work? I couldn't find any explanation of how it's implemented.
    I used to be wishy-washy, now I'm not so sure.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpynCycle View Post
    I saw the Takeover Protection option.
    How does it work? I couldn't find any explanation of how it's implemented.
    You enable it as an account feature through your online account management and that will prevent the line from being ported elsewhere while it's enabled. To disable it, you have to call 611 and ask for it to be removed after a few verifications (PIN and secondary, temporary PIN sent to email or SMS). Once removed, you can port just like before.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    So basically, it's a flag that gets turned on, and all port requests are denied, until I turn the flag off by calling and removing the flag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    You enable it as an account feature through your online account management and that will prevent the line from being ported elsewhere while it's enabled. To disable it, you have to call 611 and ask for it to be removed after a few verifications (PIN and secondary, temporary PIN sent to email or SMS). Once removed, you can port just like before.
    Good stuff

Feedback Score
    Possible effect when changing to Mobile Internet (?)

If you have Scam Block and/or Caller ID active, and you want to change to Mobile Internet, consider making it a two step process by first removing Scam Block and/or Caller ID, then change the plan.

This morning, I tried changing Legacy Pay As You Go to Mobile Internet. The website knew Scam Block and Caller ID should be removed, and created an order to: change plan, remove the two features. But then I got Order status ERROR (under Activity log > Order placed > View Details), and no new order could then be created ("Oh No! Previously submitted Order(s) needs attention."). Both Prepaid customer service and T-Force said the only route forward was to create an engineering ticket to first fix the order that went bad.

I don't know why the order went bad, but I can only speculate that the platform tried to change plan before removing the two features.

Update: The order that went bad was completed the following morning at 02:39 AM.

Effect on taxes & fees when adding to balance

At least in Colorado, each of these features is currently treated as a line for 911/988 charges.

In Colorado, the correct taxes and fees amount for adding $1 to balance is $1.81.

However, the website wanted to charge me ($1.81 * 4 =) $7.24 when I had Caller ID, Scam Block, and Account Takeover Protection activated. I first removed Caller ID and Scam Block myself, and the website wanted to charge me ($1.81 * 2 =) $3.62. After also removing Account Takeover Protection, the website now shows the correct $1.81.

Can chat to remove Account Takeover Protection

The website tells you that "you'll need to call us to remove this feature". However, I was able to chat with T-Force to remove this feature.
    Last edited by andyk88; 07-27-2022 at 07:29 PM.