Thread: T-Mobile SIM - Where to get?

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile SIM - Where to get?

Other than a store that (I believe) charges $10, are there any other ideas for obtaining one cheaper? New phone needs a nano size, and mine is a micro. It's for a Legacy Gold PAYGO account.

Feedback Score
    eBay, Costco?
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17213374

I hope you kept the text from T-Mobile, because there is a SIM card in the N200 box:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17213455

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-to-3-mo/page3 (NO taxes, NO fees, NO plan change.)

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I was able to talk the c/s rep into sending me one for my Legacy account. YMMV

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I picked up a free one a few years ago at Costco. The employee only gave me one because I had an existing account and needed a new SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This is not for the free phone T-Mo offered, and I've got an existing account, so I just need to transfer service to a newer one.

Not a Costco member, and they're a bit of a drive anyway.

At this point it looks like I'll just stop by a store and see what they'll do for me. They have to do the process for the SIM change anyway. And I want to get it done and not be shopping the internet.

OK, FULL DISCLOSURE:

If you've been reading the T-Mo Prepaid forum you know that I have a long-standing Legacy PAYGO line of service (16+ years), which I intend to maintain.

But on the phone I'm using with it (an unlocked, Cricket-branded, 1st gen. Moto E) I have an app that will not run on Android versions newer than 8.1. This app is important to me.

Obviously any Androids issued now are going to have (at least) v10 or newer, and in the case of the OnePlus Nord free phone it's 11 to start with (if I have that correct).

And I already have a replacement phone ready to go: An LG Aristo 2 Plus, that tops out at Android Oreo 8.1. Perfect for the job. No 5G, but it does have VoLTE and bands 12 & 71, which the Cricket Moto G didn't have. Besides, the plan doesn't have any data!

But now I'm thinking, why not go for the free replacement, get all set up, then switch the newly issued SIM from the OnePlus to my LG? Do you think they'd mind (Ha-ha; that's sort of a rhetorical question)? Actually, I think once they get me off their list of having an old phone they're liable to lose interest and I could put the SIM anywhere, as long as it's showing VoLTE capability. I know they (T-Mo) can instantly see what phone is in use on the line by the IMEI. But again, how concerned might they be?

What say you, HoFo-hordes?
    Last edited by whacker; 04-14-2022 at 08:36 AM.

Feedback Score
    Keep the new SIM card, throw away the N200?
    But, the LG Aristo 2 Plus will go to heaven eventually, as with many things and people not just important to us.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Do you think they'd mind (Ha-ha; that's sort of a rhetorical question)?
    But again, how concerned might they be?
    If they do mind, what can they possibly do? The N200, which you will throw away, will stay locked. I cannot think of anything else.

Edit to add: I wonder if something like VMOS will work.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=vmos+alternatives
    Last edited by andyk88; 04-14-2022 at 01:05 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, sure. Eventually 4G LTE-only devices will be kicked off.

Not thinking about tossing a fine piece of technology like the N200. You never know when I might want to go big-time with T-mobile's service, or if I find a replacement for the app in question that'll work with newer versions of Android.

Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    They sent me a new one for free when my old gold rewards sim got wet and died. Took two calls iirc

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, I got my needed nano SIM -- and wrapped around it was a new OnePlus Nord N200! Wow, what a phone, and what a deal!

But I'm going to comment on it in the other thread here specifically regarding that scenario.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    After being wowed with the new OnePlus phone yesterday, I got back into the business of moving the SIM that came with it over to the LG Aristo 2 Plus I had gotten just prior.

All is working well with that device change. And for even fuller disclosure --

My use of the Aristo 2 Plus has to do with the fact that, I'm a Google Voice user, and the Legacy PAYGO plan has no capability for add-on data usage, in this case specifically for something like the Google Voice app. Incoming calls made to my GV number are simply forwarded to wherever -- one or more of my several "linked numbers," as they're now called; as well as to the (apparently) soon-to-be-defunct Obi 200 device (analog telephone adapter or ATA) I have connected to my hardline internet service.

But what about outgoing calls from my T-Mobile no-data PAYGO line that I want to maintain my GV identity on? Google Voice has always had (way before any GV app or VoIP features existed) the capability of doing just this, with any phone listed by the user (copper landline, cellular, what have you) on the GV website as a "forwarding phone" (now referred to as a "linked number"). You manually call in to your GV number, it recognizes that the number you're calling in with is in your configured setup, and it presents you with a menu of options for what you'd like to do. Main choices are to listen to any collected voicemail, or MAKE A CALL.

But it's not ideal having to routinely manually call in to GV, listen to prompts, make some choices, then manually enter another number of the actual contact (call recipient) you're trying to reach.

So, this app, called Prefixer, that was already around and being used mostly for people who call overseas using alternative calling services that work best for the country they're calling (either with regard to callings rates or simply access), was discovered to work really well for automating a call-out from your smartphone, through GV, to the desired recipient. All using just the phone network that handles voice traffic and touch-tone signals. You configure the app to dial your GV number, account for any waiting for voice prompts or extra key presses (like the pound sign to signal the end of an entry), then when you routinely want to call someone you either open your phone dialer and manually enter something, or select a contact, and the app interceded and dialed your pre-configured GV number and any subsequent prompt responses (this all being part of the prefix), THEN it dialed your intended recipient (followed by a suffix you included - the pound sign - to signal the end of instructions). Worked beautifully.

But tech moves on, and of course GV changed and moved into the realm of a VoIP service with apps of its own on Android and iOS, taking for granted that most mobile phone users would be plugged into using more functions that require data use (and paying for it), and here we are today.

And then something changed with Android. From the little I can gather reading around the web about it, apparently Google didn't like the idea of a third party app being able to intercede in the use of the device's dialer function. The way Prefixer worked was, you flip it on (maybe leave it always on), and with any number dialed followed by a press of the Send key, it takes over and dials according to your instructions (first to one place - GV - then to the recipient through GV).

The app no longer works with Android versions 9 (Pie) and above. It installs and acts like it's working (you see a prompt suggesting that the app may be a little old and might not work), but it never gains control over the dialer. When you hit Send, the number dialed is what gets acted on immediately. It's like the app isn't even there.

Maybe Google was afraid of dialer bot malware taking over your phone and dialing things the user didn't intend. One can only speculate.

But since I have a line of service that has no data, but want to occasionally use it and still be ID'd as my GV number, for this I needed a device that couldn't/wouldn't go to Android 9 or higher (ever) so as to be able to run good old Prefixer.

So this morning I was able to get that all set up and working again, as desired, using the Aristo 2 Plus (could've been any Android that worked with VoLTE on T-Mobile whose OS tops out at v8.1). There were some changes made to GV that required the prefix I configured to be a little different, and some wasted call minutes used to experiment with different prefix character strings; but it paid off.

Pretty niche and specialized; I realize that. But hey, we've all got our projects of interest!

And I've got a great spare T-Mobile phone that cost me nothing!

I've looked and looked for an alternative app that does what Prefixer does, but on newer Android versions. Haven't found it. If you've got a suggestion, please share it!

Additional: The Prefixer app has been gone from the Play Store for probably at least two years (which when I got newer devices I was surprised to discover). I have saved APK files of it for my use, and it's available in at least one of the APK websites. The developer (253 Below) appears to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I hear ya. I had a "Google Voice Dialer" app on a Windows Phone 8, but nothing now on current Androids.