Thread: Mobile phone to bluetooth analog answering machine

Feedback Score

Mobile phone to bluetooth analog answering machine

Hello

My first question at HowardForums.

I am an old and old-style landline user with an inexpensive ATT answering machine to screen calls.

When I convert to a mobile phone ( likely under a plan with ATT to include internet) is there a device
    that can communicate from mobile phone to an answering that will pick up and announce so I can hear
    it and retrieve the call before it goes to record or voicemail? I get frequent no good calls. I turn the
    ringer of my wire phone off and only hear the announcement audibly.

What's the solution without keeping two connections?

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    About the only way I can think of to do what you want is:
    1. Port your number to Google Voice. ($20) If you don't want to pay, get a new number.
    2. Get an OBI box.
    3. Connect your answering machine and and a landline phone to the OBI box.
    4. Listen to the call on the machine, then pick up the phone.

If you usually only get calls from people you know, enter their #'s into the contact list on your smart phone.
    Assign a unique ring tone to them. Then you will know it's them calling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    About the only way I can think of to do what you want is:
    1. Port your number to Google Voice. ($20) If you don't want to pay, get a new number.
    2. Get an OBI box.
    3. Connect your answering machine and and a landline phone to the OBI box.
    4. Listen to the call on the machine, then pick up the phone....
    This would work after a fashion, but with some hoops to jump though. The number at Google Voice and on the cellphone can't be the same, except by using the GV app on the cellphone in addition to the Obi. The cellphone itself would need a different number. I do this, but it is too complicated for many people.

Also, the Obi devices are approaching end of support sometime in 2023, IIRC. There is no indication that Polycom/Obi is going to have new devices that they will support, much less support for GV. After the end of support for the existing Obis if GV makes a change in their protocols, Obi is not expected to put the money/effort into updating the Obis. GV has been known to make changes that effect Obi operation.

The Obi with GV is an ok solution short term. In the long run it is likely a dead end.

Another solution is the Cell2Jack device. It connects to the cellphone by Bluetooth and allows analog phones or answering machines to be used. I have not personally tried one. I don't know if you can answer the call on the cellphone after it has been picked up by the answering machine. You would have to keep the cellphone within Bluetooth range (30 feet) for it to work. I don't know how well the cellphone would automatically reconnect to it after being away, especially if the phone Bluetooth was used to connect to the car while away. It might be fiddly.

Another solution is a cordless phone/answering machine set that has Link2Cell. Panasonic makes them. Same caveats about linking and re-linking with Bluetooth. I have one of these. The sound quality over Bluetooth is awful, but my set is over ten years old. Maybe the newer ones are better.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for answering. Yes I saw that cell2jack item which at least at Amazon is unavailable at this time. The other things like Google Voice I have no experience with.

Perhaps with a new phone and taking down the landline, the nuissance calls will stop.

Feedback Score
    I also got the pdf manual for the Clarity BT914 which is a deskset. The manual shows a wire
    connection to the mobile phone which is no problem within my apartment residence. With such a device I'd like to know a 'buddy'
    using one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Thanks for answering. Yes I saw that cell2jack item which at least at Amazon is unavailable at this time. The other things like Google Voice I have no experience with.

Perhaps with a new phone and taking down the landline, the nuissance calls will stop.
    Before I abandoned my landline the number was receiving spam/scam calls all day long every few minutes. Like you, I put the line on an answering machine that I could hear the caller leaving a message - most don't. No way I would transfer that number to a cellphone. They would still call the number.

Something that will work is to put the "Number Not in Service" tones on the answering machine message. That will cause many robo callers to stop calling the number, at least for a while. After doing that, my spam/scam calls were reduced to a few a week. The disadvantage is that legit callers that you might want to talk to will think your number is out of service.

Feedback Score
    A misunderstanding. No, I'd not try to maintain the old phone number. Whatever cell number is assigned would replace anything I've been using for decades.

My goal would be to put something together at ATT for a simple mobile phone and Internet service on a single billing. I currently have a UVerse box for DSL but the Internet is from a third party local provider. So I'd like to roll over whatever equipment I have at the wall. I don't know for example if the UVerse modem router would continue in use for a higher grade bandwidth or fiber.

Is there a specific discussion for such ATT topics? I've thought of going to the local ATT stores but I hardly
    know how to ask the right things on the spot.

I already know that TDS would not provide the right sort of service. And I've never had cable from Warner/ Spectrum or anyone else. I use few entertainment services since a browser, Youtube and such has sufficed for anything I might need.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    You could try the AT&T Wireless forum. Someone there may be able to help answer some questions. I know what you mean I avoid the wireless retail stores like the plague.
    https://forums.att.com/categories/wi...t-posts-topics

Sent from my moto g power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I'll do that. The long list of subtopics on Howard had me scanning and missing things.

thanks