Thread: Does AT&T still force connection to attwifi?

Feedback Score

Does AT&T still force connection to attwifi?

Hey all, I'm restless yet again with my current provider and thinking about moving back to AT&T prepaid. Last time we were on AT&T, the sim was forcing our phones to connect to attwifi hotspots. It would often interrupt data connections and it was never useful, plus I have no desire to connect to any public wifi. Just curious if the sim profiles are still forcing you to connect to attwifi on iPhones. Any recent experiences? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I had AT&T post paid for many years, I was never forced to use their Hotspot. They were available but if I was using cellular data that connection remained.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 14
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post
    Hey all, I'm restless yet again with my current provider and thinking about moving back to AT&T prepaid. Last time we were on AT&T, the sim was forcing our phones to connect to attwifi hotspots. It would often interrupt data connections and it was never useful, plus I have no desire to connect to any public wifi. Just curious if the sim profiles are still forcing you to connect to attwifi on iPhones. Any recent experiences? Thanks!
    I haven't seen that behavior in years. That said, I never found to it be problematic when it did happen.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all. This behavior was still occurring on my wife's prepaid SIM about 6 months ago. It was an older SIM from some time ago so maybe they don't do it anymore.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    My wife has been on AT&T Prepaid for over 1-3/4 years, and what you described is not a thing, at least not on her Pixel 3a.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all. This behavior was still occurring on my wife's prepaid SIM about 6 months ago. It was an older SIM from some time ago so maybe they don't do it anymore.
    What phone? Did you disable that behavior in the phone settings?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What phone? Did you disable that behavior in the phone settings?
    iPhone Xs. It would allow you to disable autojoin, but behavior was similar to Xfinity Mobile, where it would force you to join the hotspots. Other people seem to have experienced this behavior as Google does bring up similar experiences.

Carrier(s)
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    I've been with ATT prepaid since I got my first cell phone many years ago and never experienced this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donschjr View Post
    I've been with ATT prepaid since I got my first cell phone many years ago and never experienced this.
    Same experience here, is this specific to AT&T and iPhone?