Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "FREE" upgrade to OnePlus Nord N200 5G: + Taxes/fees + $10 SIM kit + Forced change to $3/mo?

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The store I went to wasn't billed as a "dealer" operation per se (IOW not an "Authorized Retailer"), but it did have a small sign behind the glass at the entrance that said it was operated by what looked like a franchise owner.

I don't know how these things are typically done, but my impression was that this was about as corporate as T-mobile gets around these parts.

In another nearby town there's a former Sprint store that T-mobile took over that looks pretty corporate, but I haven't been in it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyk88 View Post
    I went to a T-Mobile Store, not a T-Mobile Authorized Retailer.

https://www.t-mobile.com/store-locator

I am afraid if you want this deal, you will have to keep driving to the next T-Mobile Store until one will help you.
    The store I went to is in a shopping mall and says T-Mobile in pink so I assume it is a T-Mobile store.

I think the other store is a corporate store. I will try the other store later but don't have time now. There are only two stores in my area.

So getting this deal is hit or miss if you can find a store that knows about it.

If the store does not know about it they will just say sorry I can't find it in the hub and if I can't find it in the hub I can't honor the deal.

Feedback Score
    I went to a T-Mobile Store (t-mo.co/Free5G says "Visit a store to get yours"), not a T-Mobile Authorized Retailer.

You can tell the difference on the map:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/store-locator
    I just checked the store locator and it says the store I went to is a T-MOBILE AUTHORIZED RETAILER.

The other store in town is a T-MOBILE STORE.

So I went to a T-MOBILE AUTHORIZED RETAILER which I guess is wrong even though it says T-Mobile in pink on the store.

So next time I will go to the other one which is a T-MOBILE STORE.

When I go to the other store I am going to print a section from Howard forums to show them if needed.

Feedback Score
    Is it at all possible to get this very sweet, free upgrade offer by signing up for some TMo plan now?
    Kidding apart though, are there any other ways to legally wrangle a free phone out of TMobile?
    TIA.

Feedback Score
    I got that offer via text……just hit the delete button. I have danced around with the store and the foreign call center before over other “offers”. Never successful. Too much stress.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingc View Post
    I got that offer via text……just hit the delete button. I have danced around with the store and the foreign call center before over other “offers”. Never successful. Too much stress.
    I'm willing to put up with some stress if I can get a free phone like that
    Would love to know some way to snag the deal now, by signing up for a TMobile plan or some such.
    Are TMo MVNO's likely to offer 3g-sunset free phone deals like this one maybe?
    TIA.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This T-Mobile deal wasn't "wrangled" out by any customer. It was an offer extended based on the criteria listed originally. Probably to long-time Legacy PAYGO line holders only, since that demo was most likely the most entrenched into still using an old device and being content with it. I can't imagine someone on another type of plan that might have stayed with a device that didn't even get into the LTE realm. It'd be interesting to see the breakdown on respondents to the offer, just to know the numbers and the types of phones being turned in (old flip phones, etc.). It might be surprising. And they (T-Mobile marketing) may think it's worth it just as a potential lure to get people onto a more current plan (as a data consumer). But as it is they're not forcing the issue, unlike some of the early reports about plan changes being required.

I think it's pretty unlikely an MVNO could bankroll a phone giveaway like this, unless T-Mo saw the MVNO as having a glut of users with old tech that was somehow a detriment to the network.

With any of the majors and their respective MVNO resellers, doing the sunsetting of the 3G (and older) networks has a planned timeline, and warnings were given. There has to be a point where, as a customer, you either fish (join with the new), or cut bait (lose service, get left behind). At some point you're revealed as being either uninformed or just stubborn. (Sounds like the way some people responded to the pandemic)

Device(s)
    Motorola and a LTE iPad
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT Mint
    Feedback Score
    I am on an old Gold Rewards plan but use a. Moto 5 on it ,

Before I used a flip phone ,

So is there anyway to get this deal ?
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs , Old Porsche projects and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    An FYI. I have Gold Rewards number that I only occasionally use, as a backup, on a non smart phone. Last year, I purchased a used Doro 750, unlocked Consumer Cellar phone on ebay. The seller was reselling dozens of used ones (no long selling). I bought this model because it is one of the very few, if any, non smart phones that has VoLTE over 4G capability. I upgraded my old SIM on this phone, and the signal is great now over 4G. I'm set for the 2G and 3G phase outs, with my old dependable flip phone backup.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I think it's pretty unlikely an MVNO could bankroll a phone giveaway like this, unless T-Mo saw the MVNO as having a glut of users with old tech that was somehow a detriment to the network.

With any of the majors and their respective MVNO resellers, doing the sunsetting of the 3G (and older) networks has a planned timeline, and warnings were given. There has to be a point where, as a customer, you either fish (join with the new), or cut bait (lose service, get left behind). At some point you're revealed as being either uninformed or just stubborn. (Sounds like the way some people responded to the pandemic)
    You're right. Tracfone offered free phones to its AT&T customers, but only because new-parent Verizon was bankrolling it.
    I was one of those "just stubborn" Tracfone-AT&T users at first but finally gave in and switched to TF-Verizon using the free phone they lured me with.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I just went to the other store which is a T-MOBILE STORE and this time it worked!

The manager had to look around a while in the hub to figure out how to do it. They asked to see this code "UMTS5GFREEN200" and it seemed to help. At first he did not know how to make it free but then figured out he had to "override/waive charges".

The phone was free and I got to keep my plan. Also they offered to setup the phone for me (free) so I let them setup the phone. It looked complicated when she setup the phone so glad I let them do it. I tested the phone in the store by calling my other phone and it worked.

This phone is better than my moto e 2020 on visible.

Also they said they did not want my old phone so I kept it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hey, all right! Good for you!

I asked about keeping my old phone but they seemed pretty sure they had to keep to the letter of the offer and recycle it. No great loss for me.

Feedback Score
    Thanks ecs0013 for motivating me to try out more of the N200. Although Scam Shield does not work, Visual Voicemail does work and is free.
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...7#post17215277

On one of the phones I kept getting "experiencing some issues with activation . . . retry". I cleared storage of the Visual Voicemail app, then it activated right away.

On the last activation screen, the Visual Voicemail app said:
    To experience Enhanced Caller Information on incoming calls you may be taken to Systems Settings to allow the Draw Over permission for this application after selecting "Thanks!" below.
    I think it's referring to:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/support/pla...cemail-app#ECI
    https://www.androidpolice.com/t-mobi...erified-calls/

I also installed CPU X to check sensors, and to run tests (just in case the N200 may be defective).
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....cpu_z_advance
    Last edited by andyk88; 04-21-2022 at 05:13 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola moto one 5g ace, Motorola Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Public Mobile, Shaw Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So I only use t-mobile when in the usa. I read this and put two SIM cards in a moto g7 dual SIM phone which is getting old and limited 4g bands. Got two texts, each using one of the phones imei's. Think I can get two phones???
    I do have another g7 single SIM phone but I also have a T-Mobile SIM for that.��

Feedback Score
    No, absolutely do NOT erase the following text, do NOT reset the phone. I do not know how you would be able to get the process started without first showing the text. I may even suggest taking a picture of your phone showing the text so there is at least some evidence in case something happens.
    Crap, my dad deleted that text. Anyone in the same position and were you able to get them to send you another text? My only hope now is the text will be sent out again as the deadline approaches.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast