Thread: High ping times on Visable

Feedback Score

High ping times on Visable

I am in the trial period of Visable. Compared Verizon Unlimited Start to Visable. Visable offers hotspot data which Unlimited Start doesn’t offer but the ping times are extremely high. Verizon gets pings of under 30ms to Verizon servers while Visable gets pings in excess of 120ms to the same servers. Speeds seem like its on par but could be slightly slower, I can’t tell.

Will stay on Verizon Unlimited Start for primary line. Seems like the Visable Network is not up to par when it comes to the data network and possibly the voice service as well could have added latency. I added Visable to the same device with an esim and tested both in the same location It definitely seems like Visable performs worse.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Visible is owned and operated by Verizon. It is not a separate company, just a separate division, and it does have lower priority than postpaid Verizon customers.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Visible is owned and operated by Verizon. It is not a separate company, just a separate division, and it does have lower priority than postpaid Verizon customers.
    Yes, I know that it is a different division of Verizon. Saw a free trial and so I figured I would test it out on same device on the Esim. I didn’t realize the ping times would be so much worse. I haven’t really used the MVNO’s before but I am guessing a lot of them will also add latency.

Feedback Score
    Latency is the biggest complaint with Visible. They route their traffic differently then Verizon itself or any other mvno I've heard of.

Feedback Score
    I am very satisfied with Visible wireless. Sure I wish hotspot speeds were 10MBps vs 5MBps. But at most I'm paying $25 a month including taxes for Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data & Unlimited Hotspotting for 1 device. And since it's owned by Verizon the word Unlimited means more than any Verizon MVNOs.

If anybody is considering switching to Visible wireless by Verizon. I suggest you throw $5 at Visible for the 1st month & see if you like it. If you are bewildered about a friend code for $5 for the 1st month & Party Pay (to never pay more than $25 after that) post# 352 explains everything nicely.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Thread/page24
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.18.22

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I am very satisfied with Visible wireless. Sure I wish hotspot speeds were 10MBps vs 5MBps. But at most I'm paying $25 a month including taxes for Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data & Unlimited Hotspotting for 1 device. And since it's owned by Verizon the word Unlimited means more than any Verizon MVNOs.

If anybody is considering switching to Visible wireless by Verizon. I suggest you throw $5 at Visible for the 1st month & see if you like it. If you are bewildered about a friend code for $5 for the 1st month & Party Pay (to never pay more than $25 after that) post# 352 explains everything nicely.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-Thread/page24
    No need to pay to see if it works as you can use the free trial like I did if you meet the requirements. Even though latency is higher, it does provide Verizon coverage and speeds are decent so I could see it useful for some. I’ll pass on signing up but I did get to see the difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    Yes, I know that it is a different division of Verizon. Saw a free trial and so I figured I would test it out on same device on the Esim. I didn’t realize the ping times would be so much worse. I haven’t really used the MVNO’s before but I am guessing a lot of them will also add latency.
    Latency on Visible is because of the unique way they route everything through a few gateways around the country rather than on the conventional cell network. It used to be two gateways for the whole country in New Jersey and Colorado. There may be a couple more now. Everything has to go to the gateway at the speed of light in fiber, and then from the gateway to the what you are communicating with. The gateway itself adds some milliseconds of delay.

Everything includes voice calls. The round trip delay latency is higher the traditional cell calls too. Though, that doesn't matter unless you notice it. I never found it to be a problem.

I also never noticed a problem with data latency at 150ms. If you don't base your opinion on speedtest numbers and don't notice it, it doesn't matter.

This Visible gateway delay issue does not apply to Verizon MVNOs. They use the regular cell network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    No need to pay to see if it works as you can use the free trial like I did if you meet the requirements. Even though latency is higher, it does provide Verizon coverage and speeds are decent so I could see it useful for some. I’ll pass on signing up but I did get to see the difference.
    Note that the free trial is for iPhones only. It's also only 15 days.

Whatever. $5 for the first month is close enough to free for me for my Android phone.

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    There is going to be a higher ping because Visible routes everything through two servers in the United States. However, once you connect, the speeds are usually good.

They are QCI 9 on all plans, however, so if the array is congested, you will slow down more than a Verizon customer on something like the "Get More" plan.

The best truly priority readings I have ever seen are on First Net and Magenta Max.

Insofar as ping times, US Mobile is lower than Visible. US Mobile uses the same servers as the main Verizon plans.

In my part of the world, I don't get the very best scores at home because Verizon just hasn't improved the arrays yet, or rolled out any 5G. When I am in NoVA or DC, however, the speeds are great.

In real life, I have to say, these metrics don't matter to me too much. :-)