Thread: How long does att usually let you keep a retired prepaid plan?

Feedback Score

How long does att usually let you keep a retired prepaid plan?

Just noticed I still have a month left and a few bucks on the 2/day plan they recently stopped offering. Will att let me keep it for a while?
    May give it to a friend that doesnt have a cellphone, for emergencies while they are out driving. This would be perfect if they have a car break down etc

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I see no reason you couldn't keep a grandfathered plan. When I worked for them as a CS rep, I frequently saw calling plans that had been discontinued 5 and 10 years ago. The only potential issue is if your friend wants to take over the account in their name, a current plan will have to be added. They could not keep your grandfathered plan unless your credentials remained on the account.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daisydoo View Post
    Just noticed I still have a month left and a few bucks on the 2/day plan they recently stopped offering. Will att let me keep it for a while? May give it to a friend that doesnt have a cellphone, for emergencies while they are out driving. This would be perfect if they have a car break down etc
    Are you still going to pay for the periodic top-ups, even if not used? The cheapest was $25 for 90 days. If so, H2O would be cheaper at $10 for 90 days.

Also, be sure you provide a phone that will be on the current AT&T whitelist.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I switched from a monthly plan to the .25/min plan back in October. It was just before the paygo plans were discontinued. At the time, I just wanted to park the line and save the balance as I have other lines for my primary usage. It was originally my mom's line. Just remember to top it off.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I see no reason you couldn't keep a grandfathered plan. When I worked for them as a CS rep, I frequently saw calling plans that had been discontinued 5 and 10 years ago. The only potential issue is if your friend wants to take over the account in their name, a current plan will have to be added. They could not keep your grandfathered plan unless your credentials remained on the account.
    Just to expand, there's no reason the OP couldn't change the profile to the friend's and put the sim in a compliant phone to use is there?

Related question, anyone know why the Update Device now requires a call instead of just letting the user make the change directly? Is it an additional safeguard related to the VoLTE requirement? I noticed the change sometime last year. What happens if you just swap the sim into a new compliant phone w/o calling them?

Device(s)
    LG G8X
    Carrier(s)
    At&t Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Just to expand, there's no reason the OP couldn't change the profile to the friend's and put the sim in a compliant phone to use is there?

Related question, anyone know why the Update Device now requires a call instead of just letting the user make the change directly? Is it an additional safeguard related to the VoLTE requirement? I noticed the change sometime last year. What happens if you just swap the sim into a new compliant phone w/o calling them?
    I think it is because some phones that have questionable backgrounds were being activated on At&t. I bought my LG G8X as a new device directly from LG on a flash/close out sale. A few months ago, its stopped working and I got a message I needed to phone CS to get it working. A corporate store was no help. When I called CS, they wanted to know where I bought my phone, was it new or used at the time and how long I had been since I purchased it. Once they were satisfied with the response, they had me reboot my phone and it was working fine. My wife has the exact same phone that she bought directly from an At&t's website and never had any issues.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapCharlie View Post
    I think it is because some phones that have questionable backgrounds were being activated on At&t. I bought my LG G8X as a new device directly from LG on a flash/close out sale. A few months ago, its stopped working and I got a message I needed to phone CS to get it working. A corporate store was no help. When I called CS, they wanted to know where I bought my phone, was it new or used at the time and how long I had been since I purchased it. Once they were satisfied with the response, they had me reboot my phone and it was working fine. My wife has the exact same phone that she bought directly from an At&t's website and never had any issues.
    Huh.
    How would they even verify what you told them? I have 3 LG Phoenix 4, two from Best Buy and one from Fry's, all purchased new. Think there's any risk to just swapping the sim out?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapCharlie View Post
    An elderly family member has AT&T Prepaid 10cents/minute plan (grandfathered). The sim is in an AT&T-Prepaid smartphone purchased from Best Buy.

It's a rarely-used phone, with a large balance, and I believe the phone itself is kept turned off.

After reading this, I'm worried about what might be going on with that phone. It's meant as a backup/emergency phone and it's scary if it won't work in an emergency because somehow AT&T decided it should stop working.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    sillyette, are you where you could go by that family member's place, check the exact phone make/model, and test that phone?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    An elderly family member has AT&T Prepaid 10cents/minute plan (grandfathered). The sim is in an AT&T-Prepaid smartphone purchased from Best Buy.

It's a rarely-used phone, with a large balance, and I believe the phone itself is kept turned off.

After reading this, I'm worried about what might be going on with that phone. It's meant as a backup/emergency phone and it's scary if it won't work in an emergency because somehow AT&T decided it should stop working.
    When I took over my mom's .10/min account I created the online account because she never had one. Maybe you should do same so you can monitor? The main thing is to not allow the balance to expire. Regardless of the balance, it has to be topped off regularly or else you lose it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    sillyette, are you where you could go by that family member's place, check the exact phone make/model, and test that phone?
    I called to find out, and guess what, the box that it came in, was still around!
    It's an AT&T-Prepaid Moto E5 Play.
    And the test call went through fine. The balance too is still intact (text message received in response to balance check).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    The main thing is to not allow the balance to expire. Regardless of the balance, it has to be topped off regularly or else you lose it.
    I think it was set up as an auto top-up thing, which is why the balance just keeps growing. The phone doesn't get used much at all.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    I think it was set up as an auto top-up thing, which is why the balance just keeps growing. The phone doesn't get used much at all.
    Okay, good, that's probably the safest thing to do if the account's not actively managed. But you're probably paying additional fees and taxes paying via cc, versus a discounted $100 refill card that gets you a one year balance extension (wait until near the current balance expiration before applying, it doesn't automatically stack). Just something to consider if you weren't already aware of it.