Thread: 3G shutdown: Last minute notice "your (previously OK) phone isn't compatible" (LGV35 unlocked)

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score

Angry 3G shutdown: Last minute notice "your (previously OK) phone isn't compatible" (LGV35 unlocked)

Has anyone run into this? There's an "alert" on the paygo site that says one of my lines is at risk of losing the account. I contacted ATT (via Facebook) and the rep told me that my V35 is the "bad" phone and that I have 30 days to replace it or lose my account (technically, she said 30 days from February, so who know how much time I really have.

The phone is still listed as good on the BYOD PDF whitelist (https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...T-Network.pdf?) so I'm not sure what's going on.

The super annoying thing is that ~8 months ago they gave my son a moto 5G Ace as a replacement for his "incompatible" phone. At the time, I had them check my V35 and was told it was good. So this last minute nonsense sucks. Also, no decent quality freebie phones either (and all the Christmas phone deals have past).

Anyone have experience with a "last minute notice" and/or suggestions to handle? Rep said to chat ATT online or go into a retail store and there's a chance they'll give me a free phone, but my in my experience the former (chat) is useless and the latter (store) doesn't want to do anything for prepaid when they could be using that time to sell unlimted plans and iPhone 13Max phone.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S22, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Project Genesis (Dish), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Compatibility also depends on the specific model number (the compatible one listed is the LM-V350ULM) and if you have VoLTE enabled on the device.

The model number I mentioned is from the list AT&T provides here: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

You can also check the IMEI on Cricket's site to see if it says it is compatible. The IMEI is the only way they verify if it is compatible now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    What is the history of the phone? Was it originally a factory unlocked or AT&T model?

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Compatibility also depends on the specific model number (the compatible one listed is the LM-V350ULM) and if you have VoLTE enabled on the device.

The model number I mentioned is from the list AT&T provides here: https://www.att.com/idpassets/images...TT-Network.pdf

You can also check the IMEI on Cricket's site to see if it says it is compatible. The IMEI is the only way they verify if it is compatible now.
    Yep, it's the LM-V350ULM (unlocked version) and Cricket says it's compatible. The ATT version is also on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What is the history of the phone? Was it originally a factory unlocked or AT&T model?
    Factory unlocked. I actually bought it from Google Fi.

This whole process is amusing and AT&T is handling it terribly. The "social media" rep got back to me and said, "I did some more digging and your phone should be OK." I responded with "Should? The message says I'll lose my line, and you yourself said I had 30 days from being notified and if I don't replace it I'll lose my line. So I'm confused"

To which she said, "don't worry, if that happens, just message me back here and we can help." Um, yeah, help how?

I still haven't received at text or intercept when making a call. I'm hoping this is just a false alert on the Paygo site, but I'm also a tad worried that the same boo-boo that generated the alert will also shut down my line. Which would be a huge boo-boo.

I asked for a deal on an iphone to get me off the V35 but they declined (edit: but meanwhile they've got a $199 w/port deal for the iPhone 11 or $99 w/port on Cricket. AT&T sure likes to take care of long term customers, am I right?)
    Last edited by yellowdog; 03-11-2022 at 07:03 PM.

Feedback Score
    I am getting that message too, but have not called in to investigate. I believe the phone that is in question is going to be an ATT prepaid Huawei phone that is on the whitelist.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapPhonePlz View Post
    I am getting that message too, but have not called in to investigate. I believe the phone that is in question is going to be an ATT prepaid Huawei phone that is on the whitelist.
    Classic. I've heard AT&T is getting killed (call-times/volume) lately because of the 3G Shutdown. I'm sure these sloppy-*** alerts aren't helping matters.

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    My situation was not super last minute, but in December I checked my kid’s phone, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and it was on the nice list that has been circulating around. I even checked the IMEI on the Cricket site and it said it was good. Then in January, I started getting text messages saying that the phone was now on the naughty list. The text even included the last four digits of the phone number associated to the phone. Prior to that, the text messages for the other phones that needed replacement were generic. Then I checked the IMEI again and now it said the phone was invalid.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, nothing like good planning. AT&T. It's not like their product managers couldn't have set the list a year ago. Did they offer you a phone or anything? That's the frustrating part of it being kind of last minute (I'd still say yours is last minute since it was January and the shutdown was supposed to be Feb). They seem to have used up their allotments of "carrot" phones and now all they can give you is the "stick" (upgrade or we will cancel).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    "unsupported" phones, for the limited number of people on ATT that probably actually use them, must be more of a nightmare for ATT to support than is obvious that they are willing to go through this list and kick people off to implement. And the "free" phones that they have given away cost them some money too.
    If it wasn't due to possible FCC fines for not being able to call 911, it seems it would have been easier to just put out a list, and warn people that phones not on an easy to find list may stop working for voice and or text in early 2022. And also put out what configuration options are needed for Android phones (iphones tend to hide these settings like APNs). And just point people to the phone companies.

Maybe the phone companies would have provided updates in some cases if enough people contacted them. Or at least let them be the heavy, when they respond that that is an International Model, and doesn't support ATT.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    "unsupported" phones, for the limited number of people on ATT that probably actually use them, must be more of a nightmare for ATT to support than is obvious that they are willing to go through this list and kick people off to implement. And the "free" phones that they have given away cost them some money too.
    If it wasn't due to possible FCC fines for not being able to call 911, it seems it would have been easier to just put out a list, and warn people that phones not on an easy to find list may stop working for voice and or text in early 2022. And also put out what configuration options are needed for Android phones (iphones tend to hide these settings like APNs). And just point people to the phone companies.

Maybe the phone companies would have provided updates in some cases if enough people contacted them. Or at least let them be the heavy, when they respond that that is an International Model, and doesn't support ATT.
    I get all that. And I'm somewhat sympathetic to the plight of the carriers when it comes to "unsupported" phones (and good luck getting manufacturers to update phones for something like this -- the classic android update issue).

My aggravation point is AT&Ts changing "supported" list, and the fact that items that are on the "final" (as in after the date the shutdown was supposed to happen), "for sure will work/current list" are still generating warnings (which in turn generate support loads). That's fully on AT&T and poor planning. And if they drop the ball at this late of date, they 100 percent should be buying their long time (say more than a year) customers a new phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    Yeah, nothing like good planning. AT&T. It's not like their product managers couldn't have set the list a year ago. Did they offer you a phone or anything? That's the frustrating part of it being kind of last minute (I'd still say yours is last minute since it was January and the shutdown was supposed to be Feb). They seem to have used up their allotments of "carrot" phones and now all they can give you is the "stick" (upgrade or we will cancel).
    In December Cricket had a couple of “decent” phones for free for an upgrade, but I didn’t think I needed to take advantage of it. Of course, by January, those deals were gone. I don’t think my kid would have really been satisfied with either one. LOL. We kind of spoiled them with higher end phones in the past. I ended up getting a Pixel 6 to replace the Note 8.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    In December Cricket had a couple of “decent” phones for free for an upgrade, but I didn’t think I needed to take advantage of it. Of course, by January, those deals were gone. I don’t think my kid would have really been satisfied with either one. LOL. We kind of spoiled them with higher end phones in the past. I ended up getting a Pixel 6 to replace the Note 8.
    This exactly.

Also missed out on a bunch of holiday phone sales in general that I was kind of thinking about (and would have bought had I known my phone would "maybe, possibly, we're not sure, but we'll send you alerts anyway" stop working). Now there's nothing I really want at a good price.

But if you want to spoil me, I'll take a Pixel 6, too, pretty please

Feedback Score
    I've been using TF for about ~20 years now. I have a cottage in Maine that is sea level and has never had any cell service. I've been paying for a land line and voip for ever... ATT added 5G to a telephone pole 2 years ago and is about to turn it on. So I finally ordered a 5g tracfone Nokia G300 w/ 1 year/1500 min fpr $89 on QVC. Arrives tomorrow. I've never watched QVC but found the deal online. This is reported as the bottom of the line 5G phone so I don't expect to much. Now I finding out that TF is pushing VZ network. I'm going to try the BYOD using the gsm (att) sim. Do you think I'll be able to use the 1 Year card? Any advice?

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 7/6a, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace, iPhone SE3
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The 1500 balances and 1 year are with activating the included Verizon SIM card. There is not a separate minutes/time card. You could get the phone unlocked after 60 days on Verizon, but TF may no longer be activating on AT&T if you tried to switch by then. You could transfer to the AT&T SIM after the Verizon activation, but the phone would not be eligible for unlocking later.

All this would involve jumping through some hoops, so it is best to inquire further in the TracFone forum.