Thread: Locked Phones?

Feedback Score

Locked Phones?

Anyone have insight as to the best way to find out if a phone being used on the PagePlus network is locked? It's a tracfone purchased at a big box retailer that's been used for a couple of years on PagePlus. I would assume it was originally locked to tracfone networks -- would it automatically be unlocked given the FCC unlocking settlement or does it require the user to take proactive action?

I realize I can call PagePlus as a last resort, but would prefer another method. I've read I can switch in a working SIM from another network and see if it works, but I don't have easy access to one. The tracfone website that's linked on the FCC settlement didn't give a result.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What make/model phone are you using or want to use? On most phones the locking status can be confirmed through the phone settings.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    As far as I know, the only phones that may automatically unlock are iPhones. Other wise you need to contact PP to get the codes. I believe they have a number for the unlock dept. like TF does. Or try chat.

From the PP website:
    "For Customers with non-Apple devices: Page Plus will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided they meet the following conditions:
    If the Page Plus device was activated with Page Plus service prior to November 23, 2021, then the device must have been active on Page Plus Service for no fewer than 12 months with Service Plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
    If the Page Plus device was activated with new service on the Verizon network on or after November 23, 2021, then at least 60 days must have elapsed since the device was activated.
    The device must be in working condition.
    The device has not been reported stolen or lost, and there are no indicators of fraud."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    What make/model phone are you using or want to use? On most phones the locking status can be confirmed through the phone settings.
    The one in question is a Samsung J3 Orbit. (I did try a couple of codes I saw on the Internet, as well as looking under Network in settings, without gaining any useful intel.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    As far as I know, the only phones that may automatically unlock are iPhones. Other wise you need to contact PP to get the codes. I believe they have a number for the unlock dept. like TF does. Or try chat.

From the PP website:
    "For Customers with non-Apple devices: Page Plus will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided they meet the following conditions:
    If the Page Plus device was activated with Page Plus service prior to November 23, 2021, then the device must have been active on Page Plus Service for no fewer than 12 months with Service Plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
    If the Page Plus device was activated with new service on the Verizon network on or after November 23, 2021, then at least 60 days must have elapsed since the device was activated.
    The device must be in working condition.
    The device has not been reported stolen or lost, and there are no indicators of fraud."
    Thank you for that helpful info!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Just to follow up in case it's helpful to others:

- You have to call. (So far as I could tell, there is no online "chat" function anymore, it's just a bot and instructs you to call when you type "Agent".)

- There is a dedicated unlock department and phone number (seems to be a single one used for all of tracfone), but I could not get the direct number. I was transferred a few times, always ending up back at the main number until the last try. (You have to answer "gateway" questions to get transferred, but these changed with every conversation.)

- I received two emails with instructions. The first was some confusing stuff with a new "password" that I was supposed to enter on the My Account page. I ignored it and waited. A second email had the instructions and pair of codes needed to unlock the phone on the phone itself. It seems to have worked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkcellular View Post
    Just to follow up in case it's helpful to others:

- You have to call. (So far as I could tell, there is no online "chat" function anymore, it's just a bot and instructs you to call when you type "Agent".)

- There is a dedicated unlock department and phone number (seems to be a single one used for all of tracfone),
    Sometime if chat is closed you may get the bot saying to call after typing AGENT. But if you want to chat during normal hours, turn off the "enhanced tracking Protection" for the site in your browser and the regular old chat window will come up when you click the red chat button.

The direct phone number for TF unlock dept. is 888-442-5102

Good to hear you got it done.