Thread: Data No Longer Working After Switching Devices

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Data No Longer Working After Switching Devices

Has anyone moved your AT&T Prepaid SIM to a different device lately? I use an iPhone 13 Pro as my main device but also have an iPhone SE (2nd gen) that I move my SIM to when I travel overseas, so I can buy a local SIM and get cheap service on my iPhone 13 Pro while keeping the iPhone SE on AT&T WiFi Calling that I can leave where I'm staying, so I can come back in the evening and see all of my missed calls and texts.

I moved the SIM tonight and discovered that the iPhone SE could make calls but had no data. I moved the SIM back to the iPhone 13 Pro, and I still didn't have data. I called customer service and was told that they are very strict with device changes now due to the 3G shutdown. It took the rep a few tries on her end to get my data working again. She said that on-the-fly device swaps should be allowed again in a few months, but for now, you have to call in anytime you swap to a different device. I have an overseas trip coming up, so I might just have to move my AT&T Prepaid service to eSIM, which will free up the SIM slot.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, iPhone SE, OnePlus Nord N200
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PLin View Post
    Has anyone moved your AT&T Prepaid SIM to a different device lately? I use an iPhone 13 Pro as my main device but also have an iPhone SE (2nd gen) that I move my SIM to when I travel overseas, so I can buy a local SIM and get cheap service on my iPhone 13 Pro while keeping the iPhone SE on AT&T WiFi Calling that I can leave where I'm staying, so I can come back in the evening and see all of my missed calls and texts.

I moved the SIM tonight and discovered that the iPhone SE could make calls but had no data. I moved the SIM back to the iPhone 13 Pro, and I still didn't have data. I called customer service and was told that they are very strict with device changes now due to the 3G shutdown. It took the rep a few tries on her end to get my data working again. She said that on-the-fly device swaps should be allowed again in a few months, but for now, you have to call in anytime you swap to a different device. I have an overseas trip coming up, so I might just have to move my AT&T Prepaid service to eSIM, which will free up the SIM slot.
    FWIW, I switched my TF AT&T BYOP SIM from my factory unlocked OnePlus Nord N200 to my unlocked TracFone iPhone SE 2020 last Tuesday, 2/22. Voice and data worked immediately. I didn't test SMS or MMS as I use Google Voice for those. I'm not planning on moving the SIM again until we get more data points regarding SIM swapping TF AT&T SIMs.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Samsung Galaxy S22, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Project Genesis (Dish), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    OP: It's my guess going from the 5G SA compatible iPhone to a non-5G iPhone where the system isn't enabling the data provisioning correctly. This has happened before on prepaid, when the iPhone was first allowed and later when LTE devices were introduced. Certain data setups had previously only worked on certain APNs.

At least on at&t proper (non-MVNO), 5G capable phones use a different set of APNs than non-5G phones, and that APN is even different between SA compatible and non SA compatible devices.

This, I would guess, makes SIM swapping difficult for the time being.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT