Thread: How have your political beliefs changed over the years?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, 6T, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Connect
    Feedback Score

How have your political beliefs changed over the years?

I recently popped back onto Howardforums after more than a decade away. Back in like 2008 I actually moderated the politics and lounge forums here, and it got me thinking.

Back in 2008 I was a pretty die-hard Republican. Couldn't stand Obama, loved McCain, watched Glenn Beck on Fox News, rooted for the tea party people, etc.

But over the years, and especially as tensions escalated during the 2016 election, I drifted away from the Republican party. It was largely due to Trump and the obsequiousness of the friends and family who yes, were Republicans, but then sold their souls to support a con-man and have now turned into unrecognizable radicalized shells of the people I once knew.

Different things over the years got me thinking more deeply about policy issues. A friend of mine came out as trans, and I saw the daily harassment and insults he receives. I, and several friends are still paying our student loans nearly 20 years after we graduated college; I read books on racism in the United States and the war on drugs, and as I did a top-down re-evaluation of what I believed I actually realized that I more closely align as a Social Democrat.

It was a journey that took years, but this seemed like an interesting place to reflect on that, because if you search my old comments around the politics forum, you'll see how different I was back then. And back then I didn't think it would be the least bit controversial for me to say that I was pro-vaccine, pro-democracy, or Anti-Russia, but here we are.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I welcome your post and am glad that you posted this in the proper forum. I am only asking the forum members not to let this thread get out of hand.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I've gotten more disgusted through the years over peoples callousness towards other people.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was more right-leaning during the Bush (43) era - that can also be gleaned if you search my old posts in this section. I am now more of centrist and don't align with any particular political party. Thanks to the Tea Party's antics during Obama's presidency, I left the Republic party in 2013 and re-registered with no party preference.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, 6T, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Connect
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I welcome your post and am glad that you posted this in the proper forum. I am only asking the forum members not to let this thread get out of hand.
    Yeah, I'm kind of worried now that I've posted it, to be honest. I think a lot of what plagues our country is that we are in this epistemic crisis where there are two sides each living in completely different and incompatible realities. That doesn't leave a lot of room for finding common ground of any kind, so in a forum dedicated to cellphones, maybe those common-interest topics ought to rule out. That way I don't start to question somebody's advice in the T-Mobile forum just because I learned elsewhere that they support the Jan 6 rioters and think that Donald Trump is still president or something (at which point I start to question their judgment in general).

At the same time, if we don't talk to each other it's hard to mend fences, too, so I don't know.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

How have your political beliefs changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
    I recently popped back onto Howardforums after more than a decade away. Back in like 2008 I actually moderated the politics and lounge forums here, and it got me thinking.

Back in 2008 I was a pretty die-hard Republican. Couldn't stand Obama, loved McCain, watched Glenn Beck on Fox News, rooted for the tea party people, etc.

But over the years, and especially as tensions escalated during the 2016 election, I drifted away from the Republican party. It was largely due to Trump and the obsequiousness of the friends and family who yes, were Republicans, but then sold their souls to support a con-man and have now turned into unrecognizable radicalized shells of the people I once knew.

Different things over the years got me thinking more deeply about policy issues. A friend of mine came out as trans, and I saw the daily harassment and insults he receives. I, and several friends are still paying our student loans nearly 20 years after we graduated college; I read books on racism in the United States and the war on drugs, and as I did a top-down re-evaluation of what I believed I actually realized that I more closely align as a Social Democrat.

It was a journey that took years, but this seemed like an interesting place to reflect on that, because if you search my old comments around the politics forum, you'll see how different I was back then. And back then I didn't think it would be the least bit controversial for me to say that I was pro-vaccine, pro-democracy, or Anti-Russia, but here we are.
    Great post Matt!! I myself am a centrist, Registered independent. While I’m not thrilled with the GOP these days, I find the Dems have become to radically left for my tastes.
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004