Thread: Newbie's attempt to use points to buy phone

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, Samsung A51, Samsung S22, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Google Fi T-mo, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    A follow-up question from this "op" ...
    I assume that you'll eventually want to use the iPhone as your "main" phone. If so, this is what I'd do:
    * Activate the iPhone as a new line with a Basic $19.99 90-day card bought on TF web site or at a store. Add the phone to your account before activating it to assure that the 7000 pts will be credited to your account.
    * After the iPhone is unlocked (on the 61st day), let its service run out on the 90th days. You'll "waste" any unused units.
    * Reactivate the iPhone with a transfer from your current phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I assume that you'll eventually want to use the iPhone as your "main" phone. If so, this is what I'd do:
    * Activate the iPhone as a new line with a Basic $19.99 90-day card bought on TF web site or at a store. Add the phone to your account before activating it to assure that the 7000 pts will be credited to your account.
    * After the iPhone is unlocked (on the 61st day), let its service run out on the 90th days. You'll "waste" any unused units.
    * Reactivate the iPhone with a transfer from your current phone.
    Forgive me Sensei, how do you add a phone to an account before activating it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonmonkey View Post
    Forgive me Sensei, how do you add a phone to an account before activating it?
    Log into your TF account, click on ADD DEVICE, and enter the phone's IMEI or SIM card number. If it's a BYOP SIM, enter the SIM number. It'll be added under INACTIVE DEVICES. Whenever you're ready to activate it, click on ACTIVATE.

Feedback Score
    You are Awesome Sir! Please write a tutorial up of how to get maximum use out of rewards while they are still available, I'd happily use you referral code on a new account I'm about to start!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonmonkey View Post
    Please write a tutorial up of how to get maximum use out of rewards while they are still available.
    Well, this is not a tutorial, just a few tips:

* A point is worth 1 cent when redeeming for time cards. But when redeeming for a discount code, the bigger "denominations" get you more than 1 cent per point, so try to bunch up your points into one account to redeem for a bigger discount code. If you're going to add several new lines, add them to the same account. (I think someone said there's a limit of 5 new lines per account).

* Since TF allows you to redeem points in one account to buy airtime for a phone in another account, use points from an account with the least amount of points that's enough to make the purchase. Example: account A has 8000 pts and account B has 3000 pts. If you want to buy a $20 time card (2000 pts) for a line in account A, use points from account B instead of account A, to keep the big "chunk" of points in account A.

* A discount code is a one-time use, with no carry over for another order. So plan your phone purchases wisely to leave no (or few) points unused.

* Don't redeem for the Walmart Gift Card, because the rate is very poor.

I'm sure other forum members will have more tips.

Feedback Score
    "Sensei" is an apt description for @hpham. The elegance of your description of the process brought tears to my eyes - thank you for describing it so beautifully!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    "Sensei" is an apt description for @hpham.
    You're too kind. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    You're too kind. Thank you.
    Well deserved. I was actually referring to your posts #16 and #18, which beautifully described the process. For some reason when I hit reply I had not seen #20. Not to take away from the usefulness of #20, but thought I'd clarify. I've now copied the "wisdom" for future reference.

Feedback Score
    Log into your TF account, click on ADD DEVICE, and enter the phone's IMEI or SIM card number. If it's a BYOP SIM, enter the SIM number. It'll be added under INACTIVE DEVICES. Whenever you're ready to activate it, click on ACTIVATE.
    @hpham, let's say I do what's described above with a BYOP SIM. At this point am I able to activate it by buying service with points?

Feedback Score
    @hpham, let's say I do what's described above with a BYOP SIM. At this point am I able to activate it by buying service with points?
    Can't use points to activate a phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell
    let's say I do what's described above with a BYOP SIM. At this point am I able to activate it by buying service with points?
    With the new TF web site, the process has changed. You can no longer add a device (SIM or phone) to the account as an Inactive Device before activating it. The ACTIVATE button will active a new device and add it to the account. Anyway, activating a new device has always required a paid time card, you can't use points for activation.

Feedback Score
    With the new TF web site, the process has changed. You can no longer add a device (SIM or phone) to the account as an Inactive Device before activating it. The ACTIVATE button will active a new device and add it to the account. Anyway, activating a new device has always required a paid time card, you can't use points for activation.
    Thanks for pointing that out @hpham. Are basic time cards carrier-independent? I'm looking at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tracfone-...p-Up/694425047 and see nothing carrier specific about it in the images on the web. It seems convenient to buy it online and get the PIN in the mail. I want to use it to activate a AT&T BYOP SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the Basic Cards are carrier-independent. You can buy them from other vendors besides TF and use them with your TMFL phone/SIM to get 3x. If you have a Target Redcard, buy online from Target and get 5% off, and usually no taxes & fees. I've done that several times.

If you don't have a Target Redcard yet, sign up using the info in This Article and get a $40 Target Gift Card. I'd sign up for the debit card, no credit check.

If you have a Discover card, they give 5% back for purchases at Target during 2nd quarter (ending today 6/30).

Feedback Score
    Yes, the Basic Cards are carrier-independent. You can buy them from other vendors besides TF and use them with your TMFL phone/SIM to get 3x. If you have a Target Redcard, buy online from Target and get 5% off, and usually no taxes & fees. I've done that several times.

If you don't have a Target Redcard yet, sign up using the info in This Article and get a $40 Target Gift Card. I'd sign up for the debit card, no credit check.

If you have a Discover card, they give 5% back for purchases at Target during 2nd quarter (ending today 6/30).
    Thanks for the info @hpham. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful you are.

Feedback Score
    I got a e-PIN. I logged into my Tracfone account, selected Activate, then "Keep Your Own Phone", then "I want a new number" and then the number of the new SIM and on the next screen the IMEI #. After inserting the SIM and rebooting I was able to successfully make an outgoing call and receive an incoming call. I also got a welcome SMS from 611611. And, the new line shows up as shown:

Name:  NewLine.png
Views: 52
Size:  40.7 KB

I've blanked out the phone number. At the bottom of the image you see two dots ... the other dot corresponding to my existing line.

I next clicked on Rewards and see absolutely nothing in the activity area. Is there something I need to do in the Rewards section even though I added the phone when logged into my Tracfone account to get the (pending for 60 days) 7K points for adding the new line?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast