Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlock ATT Prepaid phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBren View Post
    Any chance ATT will unlock a prepaid phone that was only used with TF ATT BYOP sim?
    A few years ago I tried to unlock a family member's AT&T Prepaid phone using their unlocking page. The phone had only been used on AT&T Prepaid. For over 2 years.

AT&T didn't unlock it.

I can't remember what reason they gave. I didn't pursue it because it seemed like too much trouble for too little benefit.
    You can activate new service on Tracfone and get $80 by using my referral code (you get 8,000 rewards points - that's $80 in service or brand new phone!) You'll also get great karma! Not supposed to post referral codes out on the forum so please PM me for code. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    From my experience working for At&t, the unlock code was always sent via email along with instructions.
    Maybe the process is different for ATT customers?

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Unlikely. ATT isn't going to send mail through the postal service with the unlock code.

For an iPhone, they contact the Apple servers to unlock it. For other phones, an unlock code would be emailed.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    A few years ago I tried to unlock a family member's AT&T Prepaid phone using their unlocking page. The phone had only been used on AT&T Prepaid. For over 2 years.

AT&T didn't unlock it.

I can't remember what reason they gave. I didn't pursue it because it seemed like too much trouble for too little benefit.
    Yeah, not sure how this is going to go. I wonder how long the request will remain pending?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Unlikely. ATT isn't going to send mail through the postal service with the unlock code.

For an iPhone, they contact the Apple servers to unlock it. For other phones, an unlock code would be emailed.
    I never thought they would use the postal service. Just that maybe ATT customers had less hoops to jump through to get the phone unlocked? Don't know.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    I never thought they would use the postal service. Just that maybe ATT customers had less hoops to jump through to get the phone unlocked? Don't know.
    ATT customers go to the same portal. The difference is they enter in their phone number while other customers say they aren't ATT customers. I'm not sure why there is any difference, the phone still has to be paid off and otherwise be eligible for unlock. Which is the same for a customer or non-customer. Possibly the only difference is that there is one case where you can unlock early as a customer, and that is if you are recalled to Active military duty. Otherwise, there are more restrictions for a customer, such as not being behind on your bill, etc.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hope you were only kidding. They are the exact same company that I am referring to.

Cingular was the original company that bought the original AT&T Wireless and later bought out by SBC (Southwestern Bell) and renamed to AT&T mobile. Stephen Colbert, when on Comedy Central and before his current role on the Late Show had a hilarious clip about the history of the merger years ago.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Serial Port;17203186]I hope you were only kidding. They are the exact same company that I am referring to.

Cingular was the original company that bought the original AT&T Wireless and later bought out by SBC (Southwestern Bell) and renamed to AT&T mobile. Stephen Colbert, when on Comedy Central and before his current role on the Late Show had a hilarious clip about the history of the merger years ago.[/QU

You would be correct.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, not sure how this is going to go. I wonder how long the request will remain pending?
    Now that you mention it, I think the request stayed pending for a long time. It stayed in pending for so long, I think I had gone and checked the status on their web site.

And after all that time, they said they couldn't unlock it. I don't think they gave a good reason for why they couldn't unlock the phone.

I know I shouldn't let it, but it still rankles when I think about how they refused to unlock the phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    It will be rare / a fluke if you can get any phone newer than a LG Phoenix 2 unlocked through the portal without meeting the service / usage requirement.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It will be rare / a fluke if you can get any phone newer than a LG Phoenix 2 unlocked through the portal without meeting the service / usage requirement.
    I was able to get my Phoenix 2 unlocked. It's actually AT& T whitelisted.

I'm wondering if an AT&T phone that's used on a cheap mvno like H2O for at least 6 months can be unlocked at AT& T.

Or if it was used on the red pocket $60 a year gsma plan.

AT&T wouldn't unlock my LG neon plus 2 that I never activated. I'm thinking of putting it on H2O for at least 6 months just to see if I can get it unlocked that way.

Sent from my moto e (XT2052DL) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post

I'm wondering if an AT&T phone that's used on a cheap mvno like H2O for at least 6 months can be unlocked at AT& T.

AT&T wouldn't unlock my LG neon plus 2 that I never activated. I'm thinking of putting it on H2O for at least 6 months just to see if I can get it unlocked that way.

Pretty sure it's AT&T only. I've tried with my LG Phoenix 4 on RP a few times with no luck.

Feedback Score
    Unlikely to happen at this point. Unlock status is still pending. It seems like it wasn't that long ago they unlocked phones without much restriction. I was sort of surprised that it wasn't denied immediately, gave me a tiny twinkle of hope, LOL!

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Pretty sure it's AT&T only. I've tried with my LG Phoenix 4 on RP a few times with no luck.
    Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my LGL355DL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG G8X
    Carrier(s)
    At&t Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post

At&t changed their unlocking policy a year or two ago. Now the require their prepaid phones to have service with At&t for at least six months before the will issue an unlock code for the phone. Through their system they can tell if it has continual service, so slipping in an At&t sim card in for a month taking it out and putting it in six months later will not help. I tried that for a friend.

Also, I bought an At&t LG G8X direct from LG to use on my prepaid account. At&t's online portal would not let me get an unlock code. It said some nonsense that it was on another account or something. Frustrated, I called 611, talked to a rep and got my unlock code immediately texted to my phone. Try that if you get the perpetual unlock request in progress message in the status page.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast