Thread: Just received via SMS

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Just received via SMS

From T-Mobile (don't know how long the message has been waiting since I don't check the phone all that often, but within a month):

"T-Mobile: As a valued customer, we are providing you formal notice that T-Mobile is retiring the 3G network on July 1, 2022. You'll need to upgrade or replace your phone before 7-1-22 to continue service, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location t-mo.co/3GtTVVw"

I hadn't been messaged like this before, but have heard others have been. Time for a new phone!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Even if you weren't before, you are now officially on notice. Get a new phone before the deadline and save yourself a lot of headaches. No need to by a 5G enabled device in the next couple of years, unless you want to.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've been researching the phone I want for quite a while. Now I just have to spend some time on (probably) eBay and find a good one. But it's definitely a secondary service for me so not looking to go too deluxe.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    I rec'd the text on my Nokia Lumia 521 which supports 4G (3.5G).

Does the shutdown include the 4G (3.5G) non-VoLTE network?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart View Post
    I rec'd the text on my Nokia Lumia 521 which supports 4G (3.5G).

Does the shutdown include the 4G (3.5G) non-VoLTE network?
    Unless your phone also has VoLTE (voice and data) instead of just LTE (data only) it will be a fancy paperweight when 3 G is shut down. I suspect if you received the message, your phone doesn't have that capability. Start shopping for a compatible, replacement phone sooner than later.

After reviewing the device, it lacks LTE and uses HSDPA+ which is a 3G technology, it will not work after the 3G shut down.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus PAYG & T-Mobile Legacy PAYGO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Unless your phone also has VoLTE (voice and data) instead of just LTE (data only) it will be a fancy paperweight when 3 G is shut down. I suspect if you received the message, your phone doesn't have that capability. Start shopping for a compatible, replacement phone sooner than later.

After reviewing the device, it lacks LTE and uses HSDPA+ which is a 3G technology, it will not work after the 3G shut down.
    Thanks. I forgot that it doesn't even have LTE.

I already have a couple of spare iPhones (1st & 2nd generation SE), so I'm good to go. Just need to chat to transfer the current micro SIM to either nano SIM or eSIM (2nd gen SE).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the original iPhone SE and SE 2020 are compatible with VoLTE/LTE. Best wishes.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

2g

Wait, why will these phones not work after 3G is nixed in July? Isn't 2G service going to be active until December 2022 or later?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mt999999 View Post
    Wait, why will these phones not work after 3G is nixed in July? Isn't 2G service going to be active until December 2022 or later?
    Where did you see that they won't work? Both models support 4G VoLTE. I don't think T-Mobile has officially declared when they are shutting down 2G networks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    With T-Mobile it's more a matter of where/how they're going to support voice traffic.

They may keep their 2G parts working for a while longer (longer than 3G), but for any device that requires voice support (i.e. phones, not machine-to-machine things), it will require VoLTE capabilities (on the applicable frequency bands), and a 2G or 3G phone isn't going to have that.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Where did you see that they won't work? Both models support 4G VoLTE. I don't think T-Mobile has officially declared when they are shutting down 2G networks.
    The text sent out, quoted above, said that all calling will cease after July, even 911 access. Seems that everyone here is suggesting that 2G will not accept ANY voice traffic or texts, as it currently does today, after 3G is shut down.

Basically, I'm asking, why will these 3G phones not fall back to 2G when 3G ceases to exist? I have a Nokia 3390 2G phone, and AFAIK, it still operates when I throw my T-mobile SIM into it. It did just fine a year ago, anyway.

Edit: *I wasn't replying to your post about the iPhone SE; "these phones" was in reference to 3G phones... I was replying to the OP.
    Last edited by mt999999; 01-20-2022 at 09:23 PM. Reason: *Clarification

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think that, regardless of whether the radio infrastructure type (2G in this case) remains in place, the carrier can (and in this case will) simply flip a switch and disallow voice traffic on it for common consumer accounts or any type their setup allows them to control. They're on a schedule and they've publicized it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It makes sense to only allow IoT traffic on legacy 2G. That way you’re not stuck fielding calls from folks with poor service on 2G. It either has VoLTE and works, or it doesn’t and you need a new phone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Galaxy S21 5G
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: ZTE Z917 LTE hotspot (5GB for $10)

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    From what I’ve seen in many areas, 2G voice calls don’t even hand off to neighbor cells anymore. Once you leave the coverage area of the site you initiate the call on, it will drop.

So yeah it might work in theory, but in practice the 2G experience has been abysmal for years at this point.

I’m not sure if the no-handoff is being done on purpose or if there is a technical reason why it doesn’t work (I have a theory but no way to prove or disprove it), but at any rate for anything other than popping a SIM in an old phone for nostalgia you need VoLTE.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo