Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Easy to use phone for senior mom

Feedback Score

Easy to use phone for senior mom

My mom had to get a new phone because of the 3G shutoff.

She never had trouble using the old virgin kyrocera TNT flip phone (link below) but this phone is 3g so can't use it anymore.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/Kyocera-TNT_id3012

I switched her to consumer cellular with the Link II phone.

https://www.consumercellular.com/sho...ink_II/details

She has trouble using this Link II phone because of the way the phone is designed it is not as easy to use as her old phone.

For example sometimes there is a notification popup that is hard for her to clear. Also when looking for a contact if something is entered into the search field by mistake she does not know how to backspace to clear it out.

She just wants something that you open and select the contact and call and sometimes might enter a number manually if not in the contact list. She normally only makes outgoing calls and does not use the phone to get incoming calls.

So she is considering changing her phone and carrier to find an easier to use phone.

The cost of the plan is not that important but she is paying about $20 now and the carrier can be any carrier.

She needs no data but does want unlimited calling.

The only important thing is finding a phone that is easy to use.

The phone has to work good for the hard of hearing.

A flip phone is preferred. If there was a smart phone that was really easy that might be an option but she does not really want a smart phone and she is not good with tech.

I was thinking of jitterbug as one possibility because they advertise easy to use phones.

Are there any suggestions for a phone that is very easy to use?

Feedback Score
    Maybe a Doro? Consumer Cellular used to have them, I think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Maybe a Doro? Consumer Cellular used to have them, I think.
    The Doro phone looks like its easy to use for for seniors.

On amazon many of the Doro phones say 2G and I think I need 4G or 5G to work in the united states.

Also not sure if it works with consumer cellular but I could change carriers.

Does anyone know of a Doro model that is good and has 4G?

Feedback Score
    https://www.doro.com/en-us/products/mobile-phones/

You might have to settle for a used one. I buy used phones when logical.

Feedback Score
    Ebay is better than Amazon for this sort of thing.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have experience with the Jitterbug flip2?

https://www.lively.com/phones/jitterbug-flip2/

It says it has Alexa but not sure how that works or if that is easy to use.

Feedback Score
    Snapfon - The candybar one is my recommendation.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 09.06.22
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 01.18.22

Feedback Score
    I think you'll find current budget flips are basically the same and not even close to the old 3G flips. And for unlimited talk text not much better then $20 when you factor in Consumer Cellular CS vs CS nightmares on other mvno's. Is she on ATT or TMobile with Consumer? I believe they use both.
    Someone was talking about changing to a DORO on Consumer/ATT but there's no DORO's on the ATT compatibility list. I didn't see any Link II's either which is a Pantech phone. Maybe she's on TMO with the Link ? Keep in mind VoLTE is what you're looking for, not just 4G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I think you'll find current budget flips are basically the same and not even close to the old 3G flips. And for unlimited talk text not much better then $20 when you factor in Consumer Cellular CS vs CS nightmares on other mvno's. Is she on ATT or TMobile with Consumer? I believe they use both.
    Someone was talking about changing to a DORO on Consumer/ATT but there's no DORO's on the ATT compatibility list. I didn't see any Link II's either which is a Pantech phone. Maybe she's on TMO with the Link ? Keep in mind VoLTE is what you're looking for, not just 4G.
    I don't know if it is AT&T or T-Mobile.

So far consumer cellular has been OK. It is just that she has trouble using the phone.

I don't like the way the Link II works either and think it could have been designed better. I also don't like the volume button that is right where you put your thumb when holding the phone so you are always hitting it.

Why is VoLTE important?

I think you are right if I do get a DORO I am not sure which carrier it might work with or if it works with consumer cellular.

You are right if I get a new phone there is no easy way to know if she will like it any better without trying it so that is why I am looking for help to see what others like.

I still like the Jitterbug but I bet that the Alexa feature will either not work well or will not be easy to use or there will be some problem with it making it useless. Of course the Alexa feature is not mandatory to use the phone.

What would really be good is if they made a phone with no keypad and no screen that you just talk to place calls. I am surprised no one has done this yet because it would be easy to do with Alexa or Google.

Feedback Score
    They do have phones with no keypad and no screen. Those "help I've fallen and I can't get up" pendants. They just have the one speed dial button and a speakerphone. There is a sim card and everything.

VoLTE is the new standard. Be there or be square. Or SOL.

Consumer Cellular should know what to do with a Doro. They were part of the CC lineup at Target. They should know to put you on T-Mobile. I believe the Doros can do it. If not, CC can "unlock" the phone and make it work if it's stuck on AT&T.

You can find a used Doro 7050 on eBay. That's where I get my used phones. See if the seller will give you the IMEI.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I don't have one, but this is a Nokia and it's a simple format bar shaped phone rather than a flip.

It's unlocked which means that it can be used with a variety of services. Those are listed below. You might look it up on Google to see if you can get a better price.

Nokia - 225 (Unlocked) - Classic Blue
    Model:TA-1282SKU:6453853

49.99 Best Buy website

Compatible with GSM carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile. Also compatible with GSM SIM Kits, including Cricket Wireless, Tracfone, Google Fi, Net10, H2O, AT&T Prepaid and Simple Mobile.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nokia-2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The Nokia doesn't seem to mention VoLTE that I can see.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Amazon has the unlocked Nokia 225 bar phone in black for 44.98 and in blue for 49.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocke...420&psc=1&th=1

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    The Nokia doesn't seem to mention VoLTE that I can see.
    I read one of the Best Buy reviews and it says it is 4g and has VoLTE calling in settings.

It's useful to read the reviews because Best Buy specs are sometimes iffy. It mentions touchscreen but a review I read said it isn't.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I don't have one, but this is a Nokia and it's a simple format bar shaped phone rather than a flip.

It's unlocked which means that it can be used with a variety of services. Those are listed below. You might look it up on Google to see if you can get a better price.

Nokia - 225 (Unlocked) - Classic Blue
    Model:TA-1282SKU:6453853

49.99 Best Buy website

Compatible with GSM carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile. Also compatible with GSM SIM Kits, including Cricket Wireless, Tracfone, Google Fi, Net10, H2O, AT&T Prepaid and Simple Mobile.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nokia-2...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I had a phone like that one from nokia but it was 3G and the buttons were too small so don't think she would like it.

She needs large buttons.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast