Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Verizon applauds FCC approval of Tracfone Acquisition

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Pretty good article here about the acquisition and what Verizon plans to do right now.
    It's a couple months old, but explains some things.

https://www.lightreading.com/service.../d/d-id/763939
    ~~Teresa ~~

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    From what I've read Straight Talk is the most profitable brand for TF so that's probably the only brand VZW will keep.
    What ever brand plans they may eventually emulate they'll still drop the brand, it'll just be under TF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    What ever brand plans they may eventually emulate they'll still drop the brand, it'll just be under TF.
    The Tracfone name has long reputation of being the first choice for deadbeats and drug dealers. I've thought that Verizon might want to kill that name.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Tracfone name has long reputation of being the first choice for deadbeats and drug dealers. I've thought that Verizon might want to kill that name.
    Based on that article Nana posted, if there is a dropping of brands, ST would seem to be the best to go with since they have almost 50% of TF(the company) customers. Then there will be a renaming of the company to ST. Or Verizon Economy Prepaid Wireless. Or ???
    We have some years on here of new speculation's. No lack of topics. Knowing how corporations work, Verizon already has this all laid out. Decisions are made many years in advance, not on the fly.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The Tracfone name has long reputation of being the first choice for deadbeats and drug dealers.
    That might have been true in the old days before TF allowed BYOP, when phones on TF were relatively cheap and disposable. Nowadays, with BYOP iPhones & high-end Androids, and TF-branded phones that cost $300 or more, that sigma has lessened significantly.

Feedback Score
    We all have no idea, but its a fun random exercise to look at all their brands at https://www.tracfonewirelessinc.com/en/brands/

Copy pasting the list we have
    * Straight Talk
    * TracFone
    * Simple Mobile
    * Total Wireless
    * SafeLink
    * Walmart Family Mobile
    * Net10
    * PagePlus
    * GoSmart
    * Clearway

Even before Verizon showed up it seemed like there was plenty of room for consolidation. The last two are so small that I don't think I've ever heard anyone specifically talk about them. I'm honestly surprised PagePlus has survived so long as its own little variation. Some of the other carriers (ie Simple Mobile is only TMobile based) is basically doomed, I would think also... If I had to bet, I'd also say Straight Talk survives...

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I won't bet against you on that one. A year or two ago, TF opened some "real" TF stores. I wonder if they still exist.
    They exist. Tracfone calls them Total Wireless stores but they sell all the TF brands except Straight Talk which is a Walmart exclusive for in-store sales. Here's a list: https://locations.totalwireless.com/
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    One interesting notice from an article sourced by Nana's article (The CounterPoint study, with that article being published in Sep 2020) is this:

There are 13 million TracFone customers who use the Verizon network. This means 8 million customers would have to transition to the Verizon network and use a Verizon compatible device.

That's a bit over 60% of TracFone customers on Verizon -- I'm sure it has changed as TracFone has been basically pushing Verizon non-stop for over a year since then, but I would still say its reasonable that 1 in 4 customers are NOT on Verizon. That's a lot.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a, LG Q7+, LG Q6, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    They exist. Here's a list: https://locations.totalwireless.com/
    Thanks for that. No TF physical store in Kansas, that's why I've never seen one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That might have been true in the old days before TF allowed BYOP, when phones on TF were relatively cheap and disposable. Nowadays, with BYOP iPhones & high-end Androids, and TF-branded phones that cost $300 or more, that sigma has lessened significantly.
    Yeah, I was being somewhat sarcastic. I don't hear much about Tracfone stigma anymore, but there is still some out there. Part of the bad rep probably came from them primarily using T-Mobile as the carrier ten or so years ago. Back then the T-Mo network was pretty dreadful - smaller than Sprint.

I'm not a teenager with childish peers. The people I know could not care less what I use for phone service or if I have the latest iPhone. All phones look about the same in a case. Tracfone with the use your units any time works best for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    We all have no idea, but its a fun random exercise to look at all their brands at https://www.tracfonewirelessinc.com/en/brands/

Copy pasting the list we have
    * Straight Talk 9.3 million - Verizon & AT&T
    * TracFone 4 million - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
    * Simple Mobile 2 million - T-Mobile
    * Total Wireless 3 million - Verizon
    * SafeLink 9.1 million - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
    * Walmart Family Mobile 1.4 million - T-Mobile
    * Net10 1 million - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
    * PagePlus 1 million - Verizon
    * GoSmart 0.2 million - T-Mobile
    * Clearway Business plans, subscriber count and network not found

Even before Verizon showed up it seemed like there was plenty of room for consolidation. The last two are so small that I don't think I've ever heard anyone specifically talk about them. I'm honestly surprised PagePlus has survived so long as its own little variation. Some of the other carriers (ie Simple Mobile is only TMobile based) is basically doomed, I would think also... If I had to bet, I'd also say Straight Talk survives...
    I added the subscriber numbers and network used I found a while back. If the numbers are correct there are 31 million total subscribers. Of which 29% are Safelink Lifeline for which that they get paid $9.25 a month. IIRC, I got the subscriber count from prepaidcompare.net.

I did a cursory review of the plans on the various brands. Other than Tracfone itself, with no monthly cost and units you can use any time, all the rest are about the same price and plan features. Brand consolidation would make sense to me.

It will be interesting to see how they position the plans. As it is, Verizon Prepaid with unlim talk, text, and 5GB data is only $30 a month after a year to get the full loyalty discount. That is a better deal than a lot of the Tracfone brands plans already. Will they make the Tracfone brands plans cheaper or hope that people don't compare to Vz Prepaid and notice.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    When Straight Talk first introduced Smartphones they ran with Verizon Service only. Verizon pulled out rather quickly without giving a reason. Speculation was they realized they were undercutting their own high-priced market.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Verizon applauds FCC approval of Tracfone Acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    When Straight Talk first introduced Smartphones they ran with Verizon Service only. Verizon pulled out rather quickly without giving a reason. Speculation was they realized they were undercutting their own high-priced market.
    That was using Sprint not Verizon: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...s-hspa-network (this article talks about when Sprint's smartphone exclusivity was going away).
    I remember this happening before BOYD but after the revelation that Nokia E71 SIMs worked on any AT&T compatible device.

(Honestly the E71 was the first smartphone on any Tracfone brand).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Haas_Dave; 11-25-2021 at 05:16 AM.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has begun making changes... https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.p...indpost&p=7922

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3