Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Hotspot Add-On is now $49.99 for Grandfathered Unlimited Plans (gUDP) - could you confirm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Also notable: The hotspot of Business Unlimited Pro 2.0 is throttled after 100 GB (600 Kbps on LTE and 5G Nationwide, 3 Mbps on 5G UW) whereas the gUDP hotspot is truly unlimited on LTE and 5G Nationwide but without any access to 5G UW.
    Which is pointless to keep. Is AT&T doing the same thing with say the $34.99 unlimited iPad plan? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Also notable: The hotspot of Business Unlimited Pro 2.0 is throttled after 100 GB (600 Kbps on LTE and 5G Nationwide, 3 Mbps on 5G UW) whereas the gUDP hotspot is truly unlimited on LTE and 5G Nationwide but without any access to 5G UW.
    Who’s using 100+GB a month off a mobile hotspot? A trucker watching Netflix while he’s behind the wheel? An RV-based household whose kids have video Zoom class all day while the parents drive?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    Who’s using 100+GB a month off a mobile hotspot? A trucker watching Netflix while he’s behind the wheel? An RV-based household whose kids have video Zoom class all day while the parents drive?

Not everyone has access to proper internet so they use mobile as their internet

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For people using their cell phone as their only internet connection, the best way to circumvent hotspotting limits is to buy an HDMI adapter for the phone and plug it into a TV or large monitor for video streaming or calling. It’ll count as on-device data despite being on a big screen.

Feedback Score
    For people using their cell phone as their only internet connection, the best way to circumvent hotspotting limits is to buy an HDMI adapter for the phone and plug it into a TV or large monitor for video streaming or calling. It’ll count as on-device data despite being on a big screen.
    wont work for everything. for example try doing this for NFL games and it won't work. Also for some reason Google has decided to not allow HDMI out on Pixels

Feedback Score
    To corroborate some things:

On my Sony Xperia 1 III, I can enable the hotspot feature without paying an additional fee, but it is limited (by the phone, as well as my gUDP plan) to "Nationwide" 5G which is still faster at times than LTE. And I haven't noticed any significant deprioritization, either direct on the phone or connected to the hotspot, relative to my LTE 2016 iPad Pro 9.7 (and hotspot). (And I'm not worried about the lack of UWB 5G in the near future because I live in Hawaii.) I also have a USB-C (phone) to USB-C (power) + HDMI (A/V) adapter which I use to display the phone's screen on a TV/monitor, but some (sports) apps (i.e. NFL, ESPN) block this.

Edit: incidentally, the only issue I had with the Xperia 1 III was that I had to go to a VZW brick-and-mortar to get the phone provisioned "CDMA less" in order to receive texts (sending texts, and sending/receiving data and calls worked fine) because attempting to do this online required two-factor verification. i.e. sending a text to the phone that wasn't able to receive texts.
    Last edited by BitMaestro; 11-25-2021 at 02:52 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    AT&T killed off the $34.99 IPad plan in February of 2020. People using the lines got shut down in massive numbers early on. People depending on it for home internet we're left high and dry. ATT is still shutting these down. "Companies" like NetBuddy, OTR, Nomad and others were leasing out thousands upon thousands of these every month and making huge money by abusing the plan.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I always wonder what would have happened if Sprint got scooped back up by it’s wireline spin-off, the company formerly known as:

1.) Sprint Long Distance, aka
    2.) Embarq, aka
    3.) Qwest, aka
    4.) Centurylink, aka
    5.) Lumen

… instead of T-Mobile? Sure, T-Mobile has 10x the annual revenue of Lumen ($60B vs $6B), but I see potential benefits of having an existing TIER 1 fiber network at your disposal, tariff-free, vs having to pay for peering FROM a Tier 1 or Tier 2.

Lumen converged Centurylink, Level 3, and Global Crossing to name a few, to create the largest IP backbone (in route-miles), greater than AT&T’s, Verizon’s, or Zayo’s.

Example: T-Mobile has to pay AT&T for their fiber to their towers. In my area, they are 10G fiber. In these charges are MRC for transport (circuit base price), as well as usage charges for bandwidth.

AT&T pays nothing in areas served by AT&T as an ILEC, Verizon pays nothing in areas served by Verizon as an ILEC, but Sprint (T-Mobile) pays EVERYWHERE, for EVERY tower they have.

Sprint kept their fiber backbone, T-Mobile now owns it and is a level 1 provider. CenturyLink/Lumen only has what US West/Qwest/Embark/CenturyTel had

http://www.sprint.net

They have quite the network of fiber:

https://www.sprint.net/tools/network-maps

Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    AT&T killed off the $34.99 IPad plan in February of 2020. People using the lines got shut down in massive numbers early on. People depending on it for home internet we're left high and dry. ATT is still shutting these down. "Companies" like NetBuddy, OTR, Nomad and others were leasing out thousands upon thousands of these every month and making huge money by abusing the plan.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using HoFo mobile app
    I had set up a few of these for people in rural Ohio who could not get anything but 768-1.5Mbps from CenturyLink.. AT&T never gave more than 3-5Mbps in those parts, but "luckily" the CAF-II project was completed and both places have 10/1 now from CL.. it's not great but far better than they had before.

Although, I do still have one of the SIM cards here in a nighthawk and oddly enough they've let me keep the plan - although I rarely, if ever use it anymore.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Sprint kept their fiber backbone, T-Mobile now owns it and is a level 1 provider. CenturyLink/Lumen only has what US West/Qwest/Embark/CenturyTel had

http://www.sprint.net

They have quite the network of fiber:

https://www.sprint.net/tools/network-maps

I had set up a few of these for people in rural Ohio who could not get anything but 768-1.5Mbps from CenturyLink.. AT&T never gave more than 3-5Mbps in those parts, but "luckily" the CAF-II project was completed and both places have 10/1 now from CL.. it's not great but far better than they had before.

Although, I do still have one of the SIM cards here in a nighthawk and oddly enough they've let me keep the plan - although I rarely, if ever use it anymore.

This is total supposition on my part, but I'm guessing AT&T is going by the highest data users first. So I'm guessing if you started using a few hundred gb's per month, your plan would be killed pretty quickly.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dentite View Post
    About time. These folks want the best quality service, they need to pay for it like the rest of us. Grandfather accounts should have no upgrade or add-on offers.
    What's your problem with my using the plan as it was sold to me?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln View Post
    Because it’s easier to take out one’s anger on an everyday individual than on the powerful corporation at which it should be directed. Same reason people have reacted to the pandemic by behaving abusively toward retail workers who have to ask them to wear a mask properly, although of course anger at Verizon for plan restrictions is reasonable whereas anger at mask requirements is infantile and absurd.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln View Post
    gUDP was not sold with hotspot feature it was an add-on that was $30

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    gUDP was not sold with hotspot feature it was an add-on that was $30
    I know, and I do pay that extra $30. So again, what's your problem with my using the plan as it was sold to me?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    All I will say is that if their plan calls for a payment for a service then one should pay for said service
    Depends. Is it a service, or is it a scam? Customer perception is everything. They’ll tell you if something stinks.

Let’s say we’re talking about the ethics of charging for mobile hotspot (because we are) and need to analogize it to something.

I’m going to use Spectrum’s modem rental and WiFi access policy to compare. When signing up for internet, they used to have a box to tick “add WiFi for $9.99/month”.

It presents itself in the order process as “pay this to have WiFi” and it is not clarified that there is any other option for the customer. Pay it, or no wireless. The modem rental fee, however, presents “Spectrum provided” or “use your own modem”.

Hotspot MRC is paying ransom to a carrier to unlock a feature that they arbitrarily locked down in an otherwise unlocked phone. *** It’s the same god damn data, and you’re PAYING Verizon to tell you it’s not *** and let them limit and throttle it.

IMEI whitelists, private IP’s assigned, streaming quality managed… I draw the line.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Depends. Is it a service, or is it a scam? Customer perception is everything. They’ll tell you if something stinks.

Let’s say we’re talking about the ethics of charging for mobile hotspot (because we are) and need to analogize it to something.

I’m going to use Spectrum’s modem rental and WiFi access policy to compare. When signing up for internet, they used to have a box to tick “add WiFi for $9.99/month”.

It presents itself in the order process as “pay this to have WiFi” and it is not clarified that there is any other option for the customer. Pay it, or no wireless. The modem rental fee, however, presents “Spectrum provided” or “use your own modem”.

Hotspot MRC is paying ransom to a carrier to unlock a feature that they arbitrarily locked down in an otherwise unlocked phone. *** It’s the same god damn data, and you’re PAYING Verizon to tell you it’s not *** and let them limit and throttle it.

IMEI whitelists, private IP’s assigned, streaming quality managed… I draw the line.

Serious question, is one able to avoid paying the $9.99/month for WiFi if they provide their own equipment?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast