Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Hotspot Add-On is now $49.99 for Grandfathered Unlimited Plans (gUDP) - could you confirm?

Feedback Score

Verizon Hotspot Add-On is now $49.99 for Grandfathered Unlimited Plans (gUDP) - could you confirm?

Haven't had to use the Hotspot/Tethering in a while.
    Went to verizon.com to turn it on and it says "4G Mobile Hotspot" - $49.99.
    It used to cost $30 per full month and I could activate and deactivate it as I please for $1.00 per day.
    Does the prorating still work? Is it $1.66 per day?

Also,
    Why does it say "4G Mobile Hotspot?"
    I have Galaxy S21 5G (paid full retail.) I get 5G bars most of the time but as gUDPs am excluded from mmwave frequencies. Will the Hotspot feature work only over 4G? If both 4G and 5G are available and I activate hotspot, will it automatically drop me to 4G?
    Last edited by Serial Port; 11-18-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    The only 5G you get is Natowndie 5G is is basically the same as 4G is uses the same frequencies as 4G except band 13. Most of the time band 5. So it really doesn't matter. Right now there is no extra benefit to lowband 5G and in some cases it's worse than 4G. How much data do you sue on hotpsot. it might be better just to switch to a updated plan. Although they may upgrade plans soon.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Lowband 5G can be faster than LTE, and as Verizon deploys 5G Standalone it will also have lower latency than LTE.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There are phones you can buy that give you free hotspot usage on your gudp plan.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Lowband 5G can be faster than LTE, and as Verizon deploys 5G Standalone it will also have lower latency than LTE.
    This is YEARS away. Standalone is on the back back back burner

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    There are phones you can buy that give you free hotspot usage on your gudp plan.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using HoFo mobile app

All I will say is that if their plan calls for a payment for a service then one should pay for said service

Feedback Score

Verizon Hotspot Add-On is now $49.99 for Gransfathered Unlimited Plans (gUDP) - could you confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The only 5G you get is Natowndie 5G is is basically the same as 4G is uses the same frequencies as 4G except band 13. Most of the time band 5. So it really doesn't matter. Right now there is no extra benefit to lowband 5G and in some cases it's worse than 4G. How much data do you sue on hotpsot. it might be better just to switch to a updated plan. Although they may upgrade plans soon.
    The above are all facts, the add-on says “4G hotspot” because it’s still an accurate descriptor.

Let me explain: customers still on the Nationwide Unlimited plans (the customers seeing this specific hotspot option) are NOT allowed use millimeter wave 5G.

Two popups appeared online upon my upgrading from the iPhone XS Max to the iPhone 12 Pro Max:

1.) Customers still on the Nationwide Unlimited Plans will not be able to utilize 5G uW, and
    2.) (unrelated) 5G devices will not be able to be activated using eSIM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by petreza View Post
    Also,
    Why does it say "4G Mobile Hotspot?"
    Because the Mobil Hotspot that's referred to may not be the HS on a phone. It's a stand alone device like a Mifi ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Because the Mobil Hotspot that's referred to may not be the HS on a phone. It's a stand alone device like a Mifi ??
    I’ll repackage what I said in a previous post:

When Verizon first introduced these plans, there was no need to make the distinction what kind of 4G it was. CDMA carriers were using LTE for anything branded 4G. Period.

AT&T came out with their own “4G” (HSPA+, really 3.5G, for a faster rollout. They didn’t have to “touch every tower” well, climb every tower at least). This is why AT&T has separate colors for 4G and 4GLTE on their coverage map. 4G HSPA+ literally had the SAME footprint as their 3G.

There was not a push in the CDMA world for this Proto-4G, although carriers like Verizon and Sprint COULD have chosen to do so with EVDO Rev. A.

Verizon has always chosen the stance of purist when it comes to naming their next-gen wireless access. In the end, they still ended up with their own “5GE” (5G Nationwide) when it was all said and done. But critiquing AT&T’s 5GE was part of their marketing for millimeter wave.

The mmWave 5G in my town covers single city blocks in select areas. Oddly enough there are no single family residences in these areas. Only malls and apartments.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    My lines have shown the add-on as $49.99/mo for a while. Still bills as $30.00/mo.

Actually sometimes it shows as something like 4G Home Voice @ $10.00/mo. I just figure it's their website acting up.

But no actual price change.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    This assumes Verizon will allow old plans access to the 5G SA core. They might easily limit it to current Unlimited plans and/or new yet-to-be-created plans. Verizon could just nickel and dime everyone and charge a separate access fee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    This assumes Verizon will allow old plans access to the 5G SA core. They might easily limit it to current Unlimited plans and/or new yet-to-be-created plans. Verizon could just nickel and dime everyone and charge a separate access fee.
    They don’t allow it. From Day 1 switching to a new iPhone, I was warned my Nationwide Unlimited plan won’t allow me to access 5G UW.

The other 5G, 5G Nationwide, shares the LTE spectrum, and is backhauled by the same fiber serving the tower. Speed tests are often the same as is coverage and signal strength when testing that vs 4G only with 5G disabled.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    They don’t allow it. From Day 1 switching to a new iPhone, I was warned my Nationwide Unlimited plan won’t allow me to access 5G UW.

The other 5G, 5G Nationwide, shares the LTE spectrum, and is backhauled by the same fiber serving the tower. Speed tests are often the same as is coverage and signal strength when testing that vs 4G only with 5G disabled.

I’m not talking about the 5G UWB. I’m talking about the network core itself. As it is right now Verizon’s 5G be it the nationwide 5G that’s piggybacking on the LTE spectrum or the super fast 5G UWB that’s sparse, it’s all using the current Verizon LTE network core that’s been in place since LTE launched all those years ago as an anchor. Verizon has been building an entirely separate core specifically for 5G for 5G Standalone mode.
    https://www.5gradar.com/news/verizon...one-core-trial
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/at...core-timelines
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...ccessful-trial

This is the phase where 5G will become self sufficient and function independently from the constraints of LTE, from Voice over 5G (Vo5G) to text to data, and when the real benefits of 5G like ultra low latency and network slicing and resource reallocation optimization become tangible.

I’m just saying who knows if us customers on the super old tiered and grandfathered unlimited plans are going to be brought along onto this new core or if we’ll be left behind and told to get expensive plans. Verizon hasn’t spelled it out what will happen to us.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VoIP2TDM View Post
    There was not a push in the CDMA world for this Proto-4G, although carriers like Verizon and Sprint COULD have chosen to do so with EVDO Rev. A.
    Did you mean Rev. B / Rev. C?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I’m not talking about the 5G UWB. I’m talking about the network core itself. As it is right now Verizon’s 5G be it the nationwide 5G that’s piggybacking on the LTE spectrum or the super fast 5G UWB that’s sparse, it’s all using the current Verizon LTE network core that’s been in place since LTE launched all those years ago as an anchor. Verizon has been building an entirely separate core specifically for 5G for 5G Standalone mode.
    https://www.5gradar.com/news/verizon...one-core-trial
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/at...core-timelines
    https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...ccessful-trial

This is the phase where 5G will become self sufficient and function independently from the constraints of LTE, from Voice over 5G (Vo5G) to text to data, and when the real benefits of 5G like ultra low latency and network slicing and resource reallocation optimization become tangible.

I’m just saying who knows if us customers on the super old tiered and grandfathered unlimited plans are going to be brought along onto this new core or if we’ll be left behind and told to get expensive plans. Verizon hasn’t spelled it out what will happen to us.
    Except you were, possibly without realizing, because one would not exist (or have a purpose) without the other. Do you know WHY the separate core is being built? It’s not just to post impressive speed and latency tests online.

5G SA will be the only pipe to make the iEN “work”. This can only be done on mmWave. Ultra low latency and intelligent EDGE computing. Because even fiber isn’t quick enough to provide the low latency required by next generation products and services if hosted traditionally in 2 or 3 data centers across the US.

The processing will be done in essentially every rate center. I am concerned 5G Nationwide would have too much latency, even if it were on the SA core, to do some latency-critical tasks with intelligent edge (if not in theoretical scenarios, then in realistic ones with dropped packets and less than 4 bars of signal)

I am beginning to think there is a reason mmWave has such a short throw - more antennas, less area - compared to previous technologies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast