Thread: Sim card for new port in

Feedback Score

Sim card for new port in

My hubby's Cricket credits will run out in January. We will move him to T-Mobile Connect plan. I have an unused T-Mobile sim card from the Franklin trial device we received and never used. Can I use that sim card to activate?

The phone we have is a factory unlocked Samsung A32 5G. Can esim be activated for this phone? I have seen posts with issues for esim. Is it better to avoid it even if it is possible?

Also, does the sim card from Franklin device have 5G capability? Or is there a special sim card?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    You'll need to get a new sim card.

Feedback Score
    This should be what you want, worked for me activating prepaid.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-MOBILE-Tr...-127632-2357-0

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by magnacarta View Post
    This should be what you want, worked for me activating prepaid.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-MOBILE-Tr...-127632-2357-0
    I'll also throw in that it's going to be way less trouble-free to activate on a new number and then port the Cricket number in once things are up and running and you've created a login for account management. There's a link on there to get a new number and then you can enter the porting details to replace the T-Mobile number with your Cricket one.

Also, when signing up, make sure you pick out a 6-digit PIN, no more, no less, as that's what the account management creation tool expects.

Finally, corporate stores (and maybe some authorized resellers) will only charge you $10 for the SIM and the first month of service, so you could also set things up there. While the service has been solid for me, there are some snags with the prepaid billing system that pop up from time to time, especially with initial activations.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your replies and help.

Cricket suddenly suspended service yesterday morning since our BYOD unlocked Samsung A32 5G was not on their whitelist (they sent a text message few days ago but their own website said it was compatible) and the customer rep couldn't resolve it. We used an old Cricket iPhone we had to restore service. Then walked straight to Tmobile store and ported over with a T-Mobile connect plan. It was very smooth and the reps were super nice and helpful. We had to pay $10 for sim card and first month bill of $15 plus tax.

We had Cricket service free for 8 years on referral credits. We lost $60 in credits. But my hubby is happy now and that counts the most. We have 5G service and wifi calling with TMobile and everything is working well now.

Feedback Score
    kadi1981, I'm glad you found a workable solution!

You mentioned that Cricket's website said your A32 5G was compatible, even though not on the whitelist.
    Is this the page you used to check, by entering the IMEI?
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...ing-your-phone

I have also been hoping that the IMEI check page was accurate.... bummer if it's not.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kadi1981 View Post
    Thank you for your replies and help.

Cricket suddenly suspended service yesterday morning since our BYOD unlocked Samsung A32 5G was not on their whitelist (they sent a text message few days ago but their own website said it was compatible) and the customer rep couldn't resolve it. We used an old Cricket iPhone we had to restore service. Then walked straight to Tmobile store and ported over with a T-Mobile connect plan. It was very smooth and the reps were super nice and helpful. We had to pay $10 for sim card and first month bill of $15 plus tax.

We had Cricket service free for 8 years on referral credits. We lost $60 in credits. But my hubby is happy now and that counts the most. We have 5G service and wifi calling with TMobile and everything is working well now.
    Ugh, that's unfortunate, but glad you were able to get up and running. The refills that go on sale at Target.com and other places will work just fine on that account and most things are a lot like what you're used to with Cricket (I've used both off and on for years). You can also upgrade/downgrade between the Connect, Simply Prepaid, and Mobile Internet plans.

Just like how AT&T Prepaid is often the forgotten product line on the AT&T side of things, it seems T-Mobile puts more effort in on Metro and T-Mobile postpaid, so account management only works through the web site (fortunately it is responsive design) and the Scam Shield app doesn't work, but the feature itself can be added. T-Mobile Tuesdays works on the $40 plan and up. I find these shortcuts helpful in the dialer, though:

#436# or #662# - enables Scam Shield/name caller ID
    #932# (#WEB#) - checks data usage (really handy if you don't want to have to log in to check it)
    #225# (#BAL#) - shows balance

If you bring any other lines over, there won't be any group discount, so it may make sense to just set it up as a completely separate, standalone account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    kadi1981, I'm glad you found a workable solution!

You mentioned that Cricket's website said your A32 5G was compatible, even though not on the whitelist.
    Is this the page you used to check, by entering the IMEI?
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...ing-your-phone

I have also been hoping that the IMEI check page was accurate.... bummer if it's not.
    Yes, that page is not accurate

Sent from my SM-G996U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Ugh, that's unfortunate, but glad you were able to get up and running. The refills that go on sale at Target.com and other places will work just fine on that account and most things are a lot like what you're used to with Cricket (I've used both off and on for years). You can also upgrade/downgrade between the Connect, Simply Prepaid, and Mobile Internet plans.

Just like how AT&T Prepaid is often the forgotten product line on the AT&T side of things, it seems T-Mobile puts more effort in on Metro and T-Mobile postpaid, so account management only works through the web site (fortunately it is responsive design) and the Scam Shield app doesn't work, but the feature itself can be added. T-Mobile Tuesdays works on the $40 plan and up. I find these shortcuts helpful in the dialer, though:

#436# or #662# - enables Scam Shield/name caller ID
    #932# (#WEB#) - checks data usage (really handy if you don't want to have to log in to check it)
    #225# (#BAL#) - shows balance

If you bring any other lines over, there won't be any group discount, so it may make sense to just set it up as a completely separate, standalone account.
    Thank you so much for the tips!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kadi1981 View Post
    Yes, that page is not accurate

Thanks for sharing that very disappointing info. AT&T is really mucking up this whitelist process, and the Cricket test is the only available direct-IMEI check tool.