Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions to replace $30 Walmart 5GB 100 min plan? Getting throttled after 5GB for streaming apps

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub View Post
    I also just noticed that my YouTube viewing on cellular is eating up my regular data allotment after T-Mobile switched to the new account management system. At this point, besides retaining the almost unusable 2G speed after 5GB, there no longer is an advantage to retain this plan. I will be switching to the Connect plan soon to see if I can get by, if not I'll have to search for a new plan as well. Do I need a new SIM to switch to the connect plan?
    In the past, you'd need a new SIM in all cases. If your line has been moved to the new billing system, you can just select the new Connect plans and that's it.

If you're still on the old billing system, the easiest way to migrate to the new billing system is to set up a new Connect line (use whatever generic number they give you). Once up and running, on the account management page, there's a "Change my number" option where you can "port" your number in (coming from the different billing system works exactly like if you're bringing from another carrier) and it will replace the temporary number.

This is something you can do entirely yourself, unless you need to migrate funds or run into trouble. Additionally, going to a corporate store may also be easier to set things up—you'd just pay $10 for the SIM, the first month of service, and applicable tax and walk out with a working SIM card.

Regardless, if/when you set up your new line, make sure you pick out a 6 digit PIN (no more, no less) because when you make a T-Mobile ID for the new line, it expects 6 digits.
    Last edited by ecs0013; 11-17-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I have a legacy Gold Rewards line that was automatically switched to the new billing system. It is still the same plan, same SIM, same balance.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, iPhone SE, OnePlus Nord N200
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I have a legacy Gold Rewards line that was automatically switched to the new billing system. It is still the same plan, same SIM, same balance.
    Me too. And my.t-mobile.com now looks like it lets me switch to any of the current plans online. My SIM is 9 years old. Before the migration to the new billing system I could only switch to a couple of overpriced legacy prepaid plans.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-11-16-19-54-48.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  29.6 KBName:  Screenshot_2021-11-16-19-55-15.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  43.4 KB
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    What happened to OP & what did they end up doing?
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    I'm still here, for some reason I wasn't receiving email alerts there were posts to this thread even though I'm subbed to get such notifications. Anyways I have some prepaid money left on my account which will take me though January.

Right now I'm planning to move to Mint Mobile as they have a buy 3 months, get 3 months free promo for new customers at BestBuy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/m...le-3month-bogo

So the total 6 month cost for each of their plans with this promo would work out to the following:
    4GB - $45 ($7.5/month)
    10GB - $60 ($10/month)
    15GB - $75 ($12.5/month)
    Unlimited - $90 (15/month)

After 6 months the price would go up to the normal price which is double the per month cost you see in parentheses.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techdude90 View Post
    I'm still here, for some reason I wasn't receiving email alerts there were posts to this thread even though I'm subbed to get such notifications. Anyways I have some prepaid money left on my account which will take me though January.

Right now I'm planning to move to Mint Mobile as they have a buy 3 months, get 3 months free promo for new customers at BestBuy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/m...le-3month-bogo

So the total 6 month cost for each of their plans with this promo would work out to the following:
    4GB - $45 ($7.5/month)
    10GB - $60 ($10/month)
    15GB - $75 ($12.5/month)
    Unlimited - $90 (15/month)

After 6 months the price would go up to the normal price which is double the per month cost you see in parentheses.
    Target also has the same deal. Wherever you purchase, try to do it via in-store pickup. Numerous reports of missing sim cards from the package. So verify at the counter, just look on the back where there's a cutout window.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just an update. I’m still on the Walmart 5GB and I noticed even bursting my data limit, the Speedtest shows that I’m still getting 5G speeds. So I think T-Mobile is playing tricks on people to make you think 5GB is not enough, but in reality the YouTube BingeOn is still working, so my real non-bingeon data usage is still under 5GB.
    **100% POSITIVE!!**
    My Feedbacks:
    HoFo, ,

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just an update. I’m still on the Walmart 5GB and I noticed even bursting my data limit, the Speedtest shows that I’m still getting 5G speeds. So I think T-Mobile is playing tricks on people to make you think 5GB is not enough, but in reality the YouTube BingeOn is still working, so my real non-bingeon data usage is still under 5GB.
    Hope that's true! I haven't had the opportunity to test recently. I've been using RPs $1 50+50gb sim.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I’ve seen it where even after your plan hits the limit and gets throttled, speedtests still run at full speed.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    s22u, Pix6P, i13PM, iw7, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Tmo, Visible, Google Fi, RP/att/vzw/tmo, Tello, Tru
    Feedback Score
    Binge On stopped working for me (YouTube started deducting data) which was the last reason to hold out (as well as the old system giving 1000 minutes due to a calculation error for the past several years - never brought that up for obvious reasons).

Now that I am on the connect plan I can verify that speedtest.net does not deduct data.
    --
    CellGuru

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Still haven't been able to verify tha my Binge On is lost. #225# says 5GB used but I was still able to use 12GB more of data mostly using YouTube in preview. Tested speed at the end of the month and got 49/26 Mbps (via Open Signal). Glad I didn't switch plans yet. Will have to do more testing.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've been casually testing Binge On this month (since 1/8). So far, I've used 8.5GB on YouTube out of total 11.1GB of data - as measured by the phone. Dialing #WEB#, TMo reports back that I've used 5.0GB, i.e., maxed out since 1/19, w/o being throttled. All very puzzling. (This is on the 5GB/Walmart plan.) So the indications are, tentatively, that I still have Binge On/Music Freedom. Huzzah, huzzah...

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Just curious if you’ve logged into the online account to view the data usage?

If so, does it show any data usage as BingeOn? My Simple Choice North America prepaid internet plan stopped showing as BingeOn so I just assumed it wasn’t working.

Music Freedom still shows up there, so not sure if mine is working or not. Maybe towards the end of the month I’ll run out the data watching video and see if I get throttled. I was considering letting this plan lapse, but maybe if it’s still working I’ll keep it.

The North America data used to be nice, but I won’t be traveling at all any more so no real reason to keep it otherwise.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Just curious if you’ve logged into the online account to view the data usage?

If so, does it show any data usage as BingeOn? My Simple Choice North America prepaid internet plan stopped showing as BingeOn so I just assumed it wasn’t working.

Music Freedom still shows up there, so not sure if mine is working or not. Maybe towards the end of the month I’ll run out the data watching video and see if I get throttled. I was considering letting this plan lapse, but maybe if it’s still working I’ll keep it.

The North America data used to be nice, but I won’t be traveling at all any more so no real reason to keep it otherwise.

Online is even more confusing. Summary shows I've used all 5GB of High Speed Data. No other bucket, e.g., Total Network; But under Details it shows multiple line items per day with Data Types: VideoFreedom, Whitelisted (Music Freedom?), and Data which seems to verify Binge On. It's like it's showing every time I access data on my phone is logged. 270MB here, .07MB, 240MB, etc.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Ah, okay. So it still shows there for you. Maybe time to just let this line go then. Feature removal after years just rubs me the wrong way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast