Thread: Are All New iPhone Models Unlocked?

Feedback Score

Are All New iPhone Models Unlocked?

Hi,

Forgive this seemingly dumb question. I am a lifelong Android user so I'm unfamiliar with Apple products. I recently won an iPhone 13 from TMobile from a contest. Since I am an android user, I'm looking to sell the phone. As far as listing it, I thought that I should list the carrier as TMobile to be safe so no buyer is disappointed. However, upon further research, it seems that all iPhone models from iPhone 6 and up are carrier unlocked so long as they are free of any financing? I inputted the IMEI to the Verizon compatability checker and it says it will work. It doesn't seem like AT&T has a compatability checker but it does state all iPhone models above iPhone 6 will work. The model of the iPhone 13 I have is A2482. So would I be correct in assuming that it will work on all carriers? Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Normally any iPhone purchased from Apple directly in full will be unlocked. From carriers, if full price is paid (such on the post paid side with no installments), they are probably locked for a specified time. Such as 60 days.

One won from a carrier is not a case I've heard of. No requirement of service? Where maybe you get credits for the phone over 24 months that offset the payment plan?
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Normally any iPhone purchased from Apple directly in full will be unlocked. From carriers, if full price is paid (such on the post paid side with no installments), they are probably locked for a specified time. Such as 60 days.

One won from a carrier is not a case I've heard of. No requirement of service? Where maybe you get credits for the phone over 24 months that offset the payment plan?
    It was never mentioned by them or in the official rules that I was required to have service with TMobile. So I don't think that was the case. I did run the IMEI through the Verizon compatability checker and it passed their check.

Feedback Score
    I assume you have not opened the box yet. However if you intend to sell it, a buyer will want to inspect it and also confirm that it is carrier unlocked. I recommend inspecting it yourself first to determine if it is functional, and you can also check the lock status in the Settings Menu under General-About-Carrier Lock. You should probably have it charged up for the buyer to test also. I would never buy a phone without a thorough inspection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I assume you have not opened the box yet. However if you intend to sell it, a buyer will want to inspect it and also confirm that it is carrier unlocked. I recommend inspecting it yourself first to determine if it is functional, and you can also check the lock status in the Settings Menu under General-About-Carrier Lock. You should probably have it charged up for the buyer to test also. I would never buy a phone without a thorough inspection.
    That's a great idea and very helpful. I had no idea you could check the lock status simply by going on the settings. I've been an Android user all my life. The only reason why I don't want to open the box is that it then loses value and some may think that it's used. I would however offer to have the buyer inspect it and insert their SIM after they opened the box in a personal meet up if I knew they were serious.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 5G, a32 5G, S10+, iPhone 12 mini, bunch of others
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Red Pocket, 3UK, VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    Maybe a little too late at this point, but don't let a prospective buyer go through the setup process. If they enter their Apple ID in the setup they effectively control the phone and until they remove their account the phone is unable to be used by anyone else. Resetting won't clear the restrictions.

And since the phone was won and from T-Mobile I would expect it to be locked to them. Normally it requires 40 days on the network and fully paid off to be eligible to unlock. But they are flexible on the 40 days requirement, sometimes.

Feedback Score
    Very interesting. I had no idea that one put in an Apple ID upon setup of the phone and then it locked in that user to that phone.

So since I posted the original question here, I had it up for sale both on Facebook Marketplace as well as Offer Up for local pickup. I had wanted to sell it for in-person meetup for cash in order to avoid Paypal fees as well as shipping costs. I was getting tons of "interested" buyers responding daily but soon gave up on the idea of in-person sales as it seemed like every single potential buyer was a scammer. I knew this by checking on their FB profiles and almost all of the profiles were empty or they were from somewhere nowhere near NYC (In fact, more than half were from foreign countries). So I wound up selling it last week on Swappa via shipping. I figured more security and peace of mind was worth the lower price. The box was never opened by me and I haven't heard anything back since the buyer received it Thursday so hopefully all is well on his end. Thanks for the helpful info as I will def keep that in mind in the future.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    You would want to remove the phone from your account anyway. Just do it before a reset. Otherwise the phone needs your account information to activate after reset.

Theft deterrent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackguy7 View Post
    ...The only reason why I don't want to open the box is that it then loses value and some may think that it's used. I would however offer to have the buyer inspect it and insert their SIM after they opened the box in a personal meet up if I knew they were serious.
    I guess this issue is resolved.

But back when I sold new factory sealed laptops. We'd meet at a slow McDonald's. I said when they had paid me they could break the factory seal. If there was a rock in it I told them I'd give them their money back. Otherwise they owned it.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Feedback Score
    Hey, have you solved this ? And how did you do that ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dkrbnd View Post
    Hey, have you solved this ? And how did you do that ?
    Hi. I did do an ESN check on TMobile, Verizon and AT&T and it did pass. However, just to be totally safe, I described it as TMobile compatible. I wound up listing it and selling in on Swappa. I could have gotten more for it if I had listed it as carrier unlocked instead of TMobile (Could have sold it outright on Gazelle for close to ARV without even listing it for sale) but I didn't want to take the chance that it would be returned eventhough I was confident it would have worked for all carriers.