Thread: Distant IP Location, Higher Latency

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score

Distant IP Location, Higher Latency

I noticed that Cricket service has seemed a bit "inconsistent" lately...nothing terrible, but sometimes needing to hit reload, some delays, etc. I'm running an iPhone 12 mini and have seen it on both 5G and LTE in my area, an otherwise very solid area for AT&T.

While my speeds are good, I noticed any Ookla Speedtest (typically against the AT&T Wireless server in Chicago) has put my latency higher than usual (typically 50-70ms instead of the usual 20-40ms I've always seen). I've seen this in other nearby locations (within 20-30 miles).

I checked https://whatismyipaddress.com/ and https://wtfismyip.com/ (warning, salty language on that one) and both have placed me at either Washington, DC or Philly lately when normally I'd get my own city or Chicago (I'm in the Midwest).

Anyone else see weirdness like this in the last month or so in their area?
    Last edited by ecs0013; 10-14-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Distant IP Location...Bigger AT&T Issue?

With AT&T postpaid my IP was typically based out of Atlanta which is several hundred miles away. With location services turned off speedtest will pick the closest server to the IP address. I’d say it’s normal. I typically don’t allow speedtest.net my location that way I get a more accurate ping based on the IP address location. I figure AT&T or any carrier for that matter has their own unique way of routing data. If the IP address and internal DNS address are in close proximity I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, it's more just a little weird than anything and thought I'd see if anyone else had something going on.

I'll mention that the other weird thing is that my hostname is showing as a .mycingular.net one (that's a blast from the past). I turned off location services and it's sending me through the AT&T server in NY with Ookla.

After my post, I had a friend in my city check their phone (also on Cricket) and they're going through Chicago (based on IP address), seeing the old, low latency I had before, and getting a .mobile.att.net hostname. Ookla with Location Services off has a server in our city instead.

Also weird, throwing the SIM in my old 2016 iPhone SE yields a Chicago IP, low latency (but slow because no CA), and an att.net hostname. Moving the SIM back goes back to DC/Cingular/higher latency on LTE or 5G. It's weird.

I'm beginning to wonder if I just have to hope/wait for a new lease?
    Last edited by ecs0013; 10-13-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Do you have the same plan and sim card type as your friend? I would think that could make a difference. I’d be curious to see where the DNS is based out of with DNS leak test. With T-Mobile, I get a Charlotte IP, and DNS lookups are through Charlotte as well. If you're connected to a DNS server a lot further from your IP, that could definitely add some lag and possibly affect the CDN.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    Do you have the same plan and sim card type as your friend? I would think that could make a difference. I’d be curious to see where the DNS is based out of with DNS leak test. With T-Mobile, I get a Charlotte IP, and DNS lookups are through Charlotte as well. If you're connected to a DNS server a lot further from your IP, that could definitely add some lag and possibly affect the CDN.
    My friend is on the base 2GB plan, I'm on More. Both are the current SIM (mine bought as a BYOD kit about 2 months ago, friend got it with the SE a month ago). Like I said, the DC/Cingular arrangement seems this is sticking with my iPhone 12 mini and moving the SIM to another phone goes to the expected values (although nothing overriding things or VPN or custom DNS, etc.) I've got T-Mobile running on the eSIM and it's working as expected.

Doing a DNS leak test (just used dnsleaktest.com), I got 4 servers ending in .mycingular.net and in DC, my friend got 2 ending in .mobile.att.net in Chicago. For the heck of it, I did the T-Mobile line...no hostnames listed, but all T-Mobile in Chicago. iCloud Private Relay is also off.