Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: eSIM

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score

eSIM

Does it still look like we will be able to upgrade to eSIM on Prepaid on iPhone 12 models once iOS 15 is released?

I would like to be able to move my backup number to my main phone. Though on the vacation this week, having it in a different phone was useful since for me, battery doesn't otherwise last a day what with photos, using the phone for navigation and Ubers.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Feedback Score
    I'm using Android and i could covert my prepaid physical SIM number to eSIM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T PREPAID
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bandoba View Post
    I'm using Android and i could covert my prepaid physical SIM number to eSIM.
    Same here.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Does it still look like we will be able to upgrade to eSIM on Prepaid on iPhone 12 models once iOS 15 is released?

I would like to be able to move my backup number to my main phone. Though on the vacation this week, having it in a different phone was useful since for me, battery doesn't otherwise last a day what with photos, using the phone for navigation and Ubers.
    iOS 14.n supports eSIM as does AT&T Prepaid. Is there something broken with AT&T Prepaid eSIMs and iPhones? If there is I doubt iOS 15 will fix it.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    iOS 14.n supports eSIM as does AT&T Prepaid. Is there something broken with AT&T Prepaid eSIMs and iPhones? If there is I doubt iOS 15 will fix it.
    There is supposed to be an enhancement in 15 to extend the transfer of sim functionality. Being able on some carriers to convert from physical sim to sim without going into the store. The local store a few weeks ago was out of stock of the eSIM cards.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, TracFone, TextNow, Moto E2
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There is supposed to be an enhancement in 15 to extend the transfer of sim functionality. Being able on some carriers to convert from physical sim to sim without going into the store. The local store a few weeks ago was out of stock of the eSIM cards.
    Out of stock on software... gotta love ATT.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    Out of stock on software... gotta love ATT.
    Their physical eSIM

Feedback Score
    It's a weird system, they have these physical cards with QR code. Never understood why they can't provide it over email like many other vendors can!

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    It's a weird system, they have these physical cards with QR code. Never understood why they can't provide it over email like many other vendors can!
    I think AT&T did the QR activation cards as a stopgap to shoehorn eSIM capabilities into any plan. Because the cards have a normal ICCID, they can be substituted into any plan that expects a normal AT&T SIM card. This allows them to work on prepaid (as long as you don't have an idiot at the store), postpaid, and business accounts without any changes to their software systems. They're slowly adding the ability to generate emails (postpaid) or add the EID directly (new prepaid activations), but we all know most carriers move at a glacial pace.

Compare that with Verizon who still doesn't do eSIM on prepaid, T-Mobile who took awhile to bring it to postpaid, and all the various MVNOs that haven't supported it yet (to be honest, kind of surprised Cricket doesn't have QR activation cards like AT&T).

Also, if you're running into trouble getting them from an AT&T store, Apple Stores have stocked them in the past, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I think AT&T did the QR activation cards as a stopgap to shoehorn eSIM capabilities into any plan. Because the cards have a normal ICCID, they can be substituted into any plan that expects a normal AT&T SIM card. This allows them to work on prepaid (as long as you don't have an idiot at the store), postpaid, and business accounts without any changes to their software systems. They're slowly adding the ability to generate emails (postpaid) or add the EID directly (new prepaid activations), but we all know most carriers move at a glacial pace.

Compare that with Verizon who still doesn't do eSIM on prepaid, T-Mobile who took awhile to bring it to postpaid, and all the various MVNOs that haven't supported it yet (to be honest, kind of surprised Cricket doesn't have QR activation cards like AT&T).

Also, if you're running into trouble getting them from an AT&T store, Apple Stores have stocked them in the past, too.
    Thanks and I agree it's a slow process. It's just if that Mint and couple of other providers can do it so quickly and AT&T is taking so long.

BTW thanks for tip on Apple stores. I thought they had SIMs available, didn't know they also have QR code cards.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    I see the option in settings now. I just didn't want to try it the first day. Wait until I hear success story.

Carrier(s)
    310-260
    Feedback Score
    BTW thanks for tip on Apple stores. I thought they had SIMs available, didn't know they also have QR code cards.
    Yep, they did at least at the end of 2019 when I was last using AT&T Prepaid for my main line and had to pick a card up for an iPhone 11. As Apple carries SIMs for everyone and is pushing eSIM, I feel like they most likely still have it (sometimes, like AT&T, you'll get an employee that is unfamiliar with the QR cards).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Well, I went ahead and tried it. Errored off and I now have a pending plan in settings. Phone still working.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

eSIM

What is the process of getting an Esim for a new Byod customer? Would I need to go to a store to get an esim or could I chat with support and they can email me a QR code like Verizon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast