Thread: Lots of hoops to sim unlock a phone.

Feedback Score

Lots of hoops to sim unlock a phone.

So I recently purchased a T-Mobile Samsung S21U from Best Buy here in the USA.
    I contacted T-Force via Twitter to request sim unlocking of the device .They stated it couldn't be done because the IMEI is not in their system as it wasn't purchased directly from them. My T-Mobile website shows it up as an unknown device.
    So we're in the 21st century, and sim locking is still being conducted in America to keep the baddies at bay. My question is how does a customer that has paid for the phone in full get his device unlocked ? Since TMobile can't unlock it without the IMEI being loaded on their system first. Cheers.
    PS I've already filed an FCC complaint.

Sent from my SM-G998U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Iphone XS Motorola G7 power and Optimas Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking has been hard now. I remember my cousin wanted to unlock a Att phone that was purchased from Best buy. Att said go to Best buy to get the phone unlock. I tried to use a unlock company that post on here also. In the end he had to just take phone lock and let someone overseas unlock it. With the carriers using VOLTE now blocking phones, I just buy the retail unlock model.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walcott View Post
    Unlocking has been hard now. I remember my cousin wanted to unlock a Att phone that was purchased from Best buy. Att said go to Best buy to get the phone unlock. I tried to use a unlock company that post on here also. In the end he had to just take phone lock and let someone overseas unlock it. With the carriers using VOLTE now blocking phones, I just buy the retail unlock model.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app
    I'm sure someday soon they'll be hit hard for this , not that it's going to help the consumer. Just the relative authorities.

Feedback Score
    I believe this is a function of the Flex sales strategy that Best Buy & other vendors use. Basically they have iPhones that will lock to the first network they are used on. There used to be a workaround of inserting a Verizon sim first because of the Verizon “All Unlocked” requirement mandated by the FCC. Supposedly this was so BB didn’t have to carry excess inventory for each carrier, only phones that would work and lock to carriers at point of sale.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I believe this is a function of the Flex sales strategy that Best Buy & other vendors use. Basically they have iPhones that will lock to the first network they are used on. There used to be a workaround of inserting a Verizon sim first because of the Verizon “All Unlocked” requirement mandated by the FCC. Supposedly this was so BB didn’t have to carry excess inventory for each carrier, only phones that would work and lock to carriers at point of sale.

That would really suck if someone bought a phone and switch network but want to test it out using their existing carrier first. Sounds like a plausible scenario to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    The TMobile Samsung devices are not flex sales like the iphones sold at Best Buy I don't think. It even came with a T-Mobile Sim card and TMobile model number on the box.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by below20 View Post
    That would really suck if someone bought a phone and switch network but want to test it out using their existing carrier first. Sounds like a plausible scenario to me.
    It sucks when people believe that they are buying an unlocked phone from Best Buy and it turns out that it locks itself to the first SIM they insert.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    If you buy unlocked device from BestBuy and do not activate it on the spot (you pay full price), it remains unlocked.

Topic started stated that he bought T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S21. This scenario is sucks: T-Mobile cannot unlock T-Mobile locked devices bought from 3rd party.

That's happened to me few times but, fortunately, the phones were cheap and I did not care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    If you buy unlocked device from BestBuy and do not activate it on the spot (you pay full price), it remains unlocked.

Topic started stated that he bought T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S21. This scenario is sucks: T-Mobile cannot unlock T-Mobile locked devices bought from 3rd party.

That's happened to me few times but, fortunately, the phones were cheap and I did not care.
    We'll see. I had the same issue when I bought a TMobile Samsung device directly from Samsung a few years ago. The IMEI wasn't in TMobiles system. Hoops , that's all I have to say. My case has already been processed by the FCC as an informal complaint and forwarded to TMobile. It's unacceptable that a fully paid for device remains locked indefinitely.