Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Legacy Gold Rewards & 2G/3G shutoff?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,161
    Feedback Score
    0

    Legacy Gold Rewards & 2G/3G shutoff?

    I have a phone on the Legacy Gold Rewards plan.

    My phone is T-Mobile Samsung T349 and the specs say it is EDGE.

    https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2005

    I don't use data on this phone, I just make phone calls.

    So I am not clear on when the phone will stop working.

    Does it depend on 2G or 3G for phone calls?



    https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mo...-date_id134159

    T-Mobile and Sprint 3G/2G/4G LTE network shutdown dates

    Sprint 2G/3G CDMA network shutdown date: January 1, 2022
    Sprint 4G LTE network sunset date: June 30, 2022
    T-Mobile 3G network shutdown date: April 1, 2022 (formerly October 1st, 2021)
    T-Mobile 2G network shutdown date: January 1, 2023

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,187
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yep, when 2G is shut off in your area (typically after 3G), it will roll over to No Service. You'll need to upgrade to something that can do VoLTE—there's a few flip phones out there that support it if you'd prefer to keep that for that line.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm trying to find a lightly used or refurbed LG Aristo Plus 2 for T-Mobile, as it's just about the cheapest (T-Mobile carrier branded) smartphone that has Band 71 available. I still have Edge and HSPA+ in my small town area, for the time being.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21,061
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    EDGE is 2G, prior to the introduction to 3G (GSM) by both T-Mobile and At&t. It is a dying technology. You will need to upgrade to a 4G (LTE/VOLTE) and/or 5G phone sooner than later. I don't know anything about what will happen to your current rewards plan, but I suspect you may have to change the plan when you get a new phone. Whether or not you use data, the new phone/plan will support it and most (if not all) current plans either include unlimited or several Gigabytes of data built in to the plan. Text messaging (inbound/outgoing) is unlimited on all current plans.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,494
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I don't know anything about what will happen to your current rewards plan, but I suspect you may have to change the plan when you get a new phone.
    Your plan should be compatible with newer phones. You'll probably need a new SIM as your current SIM may be too large for the newer phone. Most of the new SIMs have 3 sizes built in, so you can just add it to your Legacy account, insert it into a 4G phone and still be able to make your phone calls. Since your Legacy plan doesn't have data, you'll still be able to do any phone updates on the new phone through Wifi.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,187
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    EDGE is 2G, prior to the introduction to 3G (GSM) by both T-Mobile and At&t. It is a dying technology. You will need to upgrade to a 4G (LTE/VOLTE) and/or 5G phone sooner than later. I don't know anything about what will happen to your current rewards plan, but I suspect you may have to change the plan when you get a new phone.
    Just to clarify, for T-Mobile and AT&T, 2G and 3G technically fall under the GSM umbrella. 2G would be GPRS and EDGE (Enhanced Data [rates for] GSM Evolution), while 3G is UMTS and HSPA+ (similar in that the second builds on the first, kind of like LTE and LTE-Advanced do today). AT&T shut off their 2G network in 2016, which was mostly EDGE by the time it was shut off, and will be shutting off their mostly-HSPA+ "fake 4G" 3G network in the near-future. T-Mobile, on the other hand, is shutting down 3G (again, HSPA+ "fake 4G") first, as it's more spectrum-hungry than running some 2G in a guard band for a bit longer. Still, they'll all go away soon enough.

    Unlike AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobile seems to be fine supporting all network technologies on all accounts, which means that someone with an old T-Mobile To Go prepaid account from 2006 could get a new iPhone 12 and connect to 5G towers (although may not include a data plan). The only technical hurdle is having a more recent SIM card in some cases and having a SIM card that fits in said phone.

    As jet1000 said, OP won't have to change plans, just won't have cellular data on a smartphone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    140
    Feedback Score
    0
    Our Nokia 6030 and 1208 still ring more reliably than the Google Voice app on Android.

    One would think that T-Mobile should offer free phones like AT&T did
    for 2G https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17145742
    and 3G https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ble-BYOD/page2 (Motorola One 5G ACE!).
    Last edited by andyk88; 08-26-2021 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,771
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    2G still around but I'm sure it's significantly reduced in terms of coverage and quality at this point. You'll have a much better network experience on a newer phone with VoLTE. I still have a couple of legacy Gold Rewards accounts with no data, but keep the SIMs in newer phones. Just because you don't have data doesn't disable VoLTE. On the plus side, you can safely swap to a new nano SIM and keep your prepaid account intact. I've done that several times over the years. I recently updated the PIN on one of my GR accounts and care thanked me for being a customer for 16 years. Didn't realize I had it that long!
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone 13 Pro eSIM; Galaxy Z Flip4
    Secondary: TracFones: iPhone 13 Pro dual-SIM [AT&T] & iPhone 13 mini [Verizon]
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,161
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY View Post
    2G still around but I'm sure it's significantly reduced in terms of coverage and quality at this point. You'll have a much better network experience on a newer phone with VoLTE. I still have a couple of legacy Gold Rewards accounts with no data, but keep the SIMs in newer phones. Just because you don't have data doesn't disable VoLTE. On the plus side, you can safely swap to a new nano SIM and keep your prepaid account intact. I've done that several times over the years. I recently updated the PIN on one of my GR accounts and care thanked me for being a customer for 16 years. Didn't realize I had it that long!
    I just took the back off the samsung phone and it has a large SIM.

    I have an unlocked moto e4 that has a smaller SIM.

    However, the problem with my moto e4 is the battery is bad so I would need a new battery if I used that phone.

    So I am not sure what I am going to do as far as get a new phone or get a new battery for my moto e4 or just let the plan die.

    If I need a smaller SIM do they send you a smaller SIM for free or do you have to buy one?

    I also not sure about the size I need for the SIM either.

    I have not got any information from T-mobile. I kind of think they are not going to say anything.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21,061
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    2G cellular technology has been shut down by all of the major carriers in the US for more than a few years. I think At&t was the last provider to do that. Only regional providers may offer coverage on 2G networks in select markets.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    305
    Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a "Gold Rewards" legacy SIM. I wanted to put it in a smartphone and Tmobile store wanted $10 to do it.
    I called Tmo c/s and they finally agreed to give me a 3 way SIM at no cost. It worked fine w/talk/text , but no data.

    Two scenarios:
    1. Your sim is large and needs to be a nano SIM for the smartphone. Can trim it to fit the nano socket or see if Tmo c/s w/give you a 3 way.
    2. You have a nano SIM. Find a discarded frame from a 3 way SIM and break out the frame that will fit. Most any phone place should have one in the trash can.

    When you put the SIM in the new phone, it may say something about APN, never mind you don't have data anyway.
    A battery for the Motorola E4 should be cheap on Ebay. Even if it's a chinese knockoff it should be good enough for talk/text. I have a reject E4 in use as an app guinea pig.

    If you don't mind paying $5 a month just get Tello. 100 min/mo An extra $1 gets 500mb of data. Get new user coupon code by sending a PM to me..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,885
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    2G cellular technology has been shut down by all of the major carriers in the US for more than a few years. I think At&t was the last provider to do that. Only regional providers may offer coverage on 2G networks in select markets.
    Do you consider T-Mobile’s GSM network to be 2G? Because it’s still alive, albeit at reduced capacity since from what I understand it just a few channels in the LTE guard bands on 1900MHz.

    I used to occasionally put my SIM in some cool old retro GSM phones until I had to get a new one and they broke compatibility somehow with the old phones, which is a shame.

    On that same note, if one considers IS-95/CDMA2000 phones to be 2G, those still work if you have one activated on Verizon and Sprint, but their days are numbered too.

    As far as I know, AT&T is the only carrier that has truly turned down 2G at this point.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21,061
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I consider T-Mobile's and At&t's GSM network as 3G. Technically, the first version of GSM was on 2G but it did evolve to 3G later when higher data speeds were introduced. At&t and T-mobile cellular technology has evolved on the same basic timetable. Sprint and Verizon stuck with CDMA in the past, and today all three remaining networks are focusing on LTE/VOLTE (4G) and 5G at the same time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,771
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I just took the back off the samsung phone and it has a large SIM.

    I have an unlocked moto e4 that has a smaller SIM.

    However, the problem with my moto e4 is the battery is bad so I would need a new battery if I used that phone.

    So I am not sure what I am going to do as far as get a new phone or get a new battery for my moto e4 or just let the plan die.

    If I need a smaller SIM do they send you a smaller SIM for free or do you have to buy one?

    I also not sure about the size I need for the SIM either.

    I have not got any information from T-mobile. I kind of think they are not going to say anything.
    Prepaid care is more limited so I've never asked, I either buy a new SIM for a couple bucks or use one from one of my upgrades (I also have a family plan).

    I think it's worth keeping around considering the low cost - $10/year is a great price for a backup line.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    10,771
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I consider T-Mobile's and At&t's GSM network as 3G. Technically, the first version of GSM was on 2G but it did evolve to 3G later when higher data speeds were introduced. At&t and T-mobile cellular technology has evolved on the same basic timetable. Sprint and Verizon stuck with CDMA in the past, and today all three remaining networks are focusing on LTE/VOLTE (4G) and 5G at the same time.
    T-Mobile still has a true 2G network active with EDGE data speeds - very slow. Phones that are only capable of 2G are still able to connect to the T-Mobile network in a lot of areas for the time being. HSPA (3G) is separate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2021, 11:35 AM
  2. Legacy Gold Rewards prepaid account .10 minute rate
    By Nokiayes in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-24-2021, 03:13 PM
  3. T-Mobile legacy gold rewards sim card
    By stususs in forum Take over my phone plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2019, 03:52 PM
  4. Legacy Gold Rewards roaming Canada $1.79!
    By Nokiayes in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2017, 09:16 AM
  5. T Mobile Legacy/Gold Rewards - Upgrade to new phone
    By gzp in forum T-Mobile prepaid
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Bookmarks