Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Legacy Gold Rewards & 2G/3G shutoff?

Feedback Score
    I wonder if they will make some announcement about what options are available.

I have not got any text about the future shutoff yet that I know of.

For example, if they will give you a free SIM or give you a free phone or at least a discount on a new phone.

They might not care about legacy customers because they don't have high price plans.

The T-Mobile Samsung T349 phone is small and simple and it is hard to find cheap simple phones anymore.

I use this phone as a backup phone and I only paid $10 a year to keep it active.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    If I need a smaller SIM do they send you a smaller SIM for free or do you have to buy one?

I also not sure about the size I need
    The three in one SIM's will fit any phone. T-Mobile sells them for $10. You can buy them on ebay for $4.99:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223318683251

Amazon has them for $7.99:

https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Prep.../dp/B00LPPHHFK

Once you get the card, you just call customer service to place it on your account. Then punch out the SIM for whatever size you need.

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp,Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Somebody else mentioned that they got a free T-Mo SIM at Costco, so I tried that and it worked -- but only after telling them I had an existing account that I needed to move to a smaller SIM card. They weren't going to just hand out a free SIM to everybody.

Sent from my Z5157V using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My Prepaid Legacy SIM recently stopped working in my older phones. Luckily it works in my iPhone SE2, Moto e6 and Moto g6.

Kind of caught me off guard. I knew att and Cricket were doing this crap. Didn't know tmo was too. Don't really use the line much at all.

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    My Prepaid Legacy SIM recently stopped working in my older phones. Luckily it works in my iPhone SE2, Moto e6 and Moto g6.

Kind of caught me off guard. I knew att and Cricket were doing this crap. Didn't know tmo was too. Don't really use the line much at all.
    I think there's a point of clarification with this—if it's not working in your older phones, they may have shut off 2G and/or 3G in your area. Can you connect to 2G or 3G on the 2nd-gen SE, E6 or G6? If not, I'm guessing it might only be LTE or 5G in your area and that's really what happened.

In the case of T-Mobile, 3G and 2G will be shut off everywhere eventually (3G by 7/1/22, 2G no official date yet). Until then, those services may degrade until everything is turned off. The old Sprint CDMA (2G/3G) and LTE networks are also being shut down: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...work-evolution

While T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are all discontinuing their 2G (AT&T already shut theirs down) and 3G networks, it seems that until the official shutdown dates, things will sort of be left alone with no official repairs or much upkeep. Basically at this point, if you have a 2G or 3G phone and it still works, think of it as being on borrowed time.

The part where this is different than what AT&T/Cricket are doing is that they're preventing many BYOD Android devices from getting service because they haven't been certified for VoLTE. T-Mobile (and to an extent Verizon) seems cool with most random BYOD phones.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    I think there's a point of clarification with this—if it's not working in your older phones, they may have shut off 2G and/or 3G in your area. Can you connect to 2G or 3G on the 2nd-gen SE, E6 or G6? If not, I'm guessing it might only be LTE or 5G in your area and that's really what happened.

In the case of T-Mobile, 3G and 2G will be shut off everywhere eventually (3G by 7/1/22, 2G no official date yet). Until then, those services may degrade until everything is turned off. The old Sprint CDMA (2G/3G) and LTE networks are also being shut down: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...work-evolution

While T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon are all discontinuing their 2G (AT&T already shut theirs down) and 3G networks, it seems that until the official shutdown dates, things will sort of be left alone with no official repairs or much upkeep. Basically at this point, if you have a 2G or 3G phone and it still works, think of it as being on borrowed time.

The part where this is different than what AT&T/Cricket are doing is that they're preventing many BYOD Android devices from getting service because they haven't been certified for VoLTE. T-Mobile (and to an extent Verizon) seems cool with most random BYOD phones.
    They must have turned off 2/3g in the area and the 2 older phones are not Volte compatible with Tmo.

The older phones was an unlocked Cricket LG xpower. Sometimes in the last 2 weeks it began the Invalid Card notification. The unlocked Metro ZTE blade zmax seemed not to recognize the SIM card at all. Maybe a faulty/rushed installation.

Just know the 3 newer phones just worked for voice. Think they all just displayed LTE. Keeping it in the factory unlocked e6 and it just shows LTE.

Edit: Well, turns out I can force 2g and 3g calls successfully with the e6(in addition to LTE).

Got the Metro Blade zmax working also. So the only one not working on Tmo is the LG X Power,
    which does work perfectly with a Cricket SIM.

Thanks.
    Last edited by gwite; 09-26-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2