Thread: Kindle losing free 3G wireless

Feedback Score

Kindle losing free 3G wireless

My mom has a Kindle Paperwhite (5th Generation).

This Kindle cost extra but came with free 3G wireless cellular service for the life of the device.

I got this Kindle for my mom because she does not have Internet at home.

The Kindle can also connect to wi-fi but my mom does not have wi-fi and even if she did would not know how to use it.

When the 3G is shutdown the Kindle will not be able to download books.

I think Amazon should replace the unit with new one because they were suppose to have wireless for the life of the device.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...33S847NN4V6Y83

Why Amazon's oldest Kindles will be cut off from the internet
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3629...-december.html

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

Kindle losing free 3G wireless

Sounds like the life of the device is at its end. You might look into Calibre and load books for her. https://calibre-ebook.com

Unfortunately it’s not Amazon’s responsibility to replace the device because of a decision T-Mobile made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You could easily setup a Wifi router with home internet service for you mother yourself and she could continue using the Kindle as is, just without the cellular connection. No different when At&t shut down the 2G network that OnStar used a number of years ago. Your argument would fall on deaf ears. Amazon owes you nothing when the technology is no longer supported by another company and neither would the cellular carrier.

I found a new Kindle Paperwhite on Amazon for $79.99 in case you need a newer model.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    You could easily setup a Wifi router with home internet service for you mother yourself and she could continue using the Kindle as is, just without the cellular connection. No different when At&t shut down the 2G network that OnStar used a number of years ago. Your argument would fall on deaf ears. Amazon owes you nothing when the technology is no longer supported by another company and neither would the cellular carrier.

I found a new Kindle Paperwhite on Amazon for $79.99 in case you need a newer model.
    The article said they are giving some special offers to the 1st and 2nd gen users.

However, the article sounds like because the other units can use wi-fi they don't think it matters.

I specifically got my mom the one with free cellular data because she has no internet.

My mom actually refuses to get Internet and dislikes computers; even though her kid has a degree in computer science. She is always telling me how computers cause so many problems.

I tried to talk my mom into getting the internet because I think she would really benefit from getting an Amazon talking computer.

However, the kindle she used a lot and bought many books that she could not find at costco. She is always reading a book.

I will probably end up getting her a new kindle but I still think they owe me a new one.

Feedback Score
    Don't tell her it's the internet. Tell her something like it's just a do-hickey that connects your Kindle again Mom.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    The article said they are giving some special offers to the 1st and 2nd gen users.

However, the article sounds like because the other units can use wi-fi they don't think it matters.

I will probably end up getting her a new kindle but I still think they owe me a new one.
    Just give up the thought they owe you/her a new Kindle because it isn't going to happen. What was available when you bought the Kindle back then, is no longer available. When it comes to technology, if you don't adapt, you die. Kind of like Darwinism.

Horse drawn carriages were replaced by modern automobiles. People who used to use horses for transportation didn't get free cars when horses stopped being the standard mode.

Life isn't always fair and the sooner you learn that, the better.

Device(s)
    Note10+ , Galaxy Watch 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post

I specifically got my mom the one with free cellular data because she has no internet.

My mom actually refuses to get Internet and dislikes computers; even though her kid has a degree in computer science. She is always telling me how computers cause so many problems.

I tried to talk my mom into getting the internet because I think she would really benefit from getting an Amazon talking computer.

However, the kindle she used a lot and bought many books that she could not find at costco. She is always reading a book.

When she wants a new book hot spot off your phone . As you're probably aware , Kindle books are only KBs in size so it won't make much of a dent in your allotment if you're not on unlimited data .
    Amazon will not give a rip if they lose 1 customer over an outdated device . My youngest daughter uses my 3G Kindle and if there's no WiFi around she just hot spots off of my phone .

Darth Mode 10+
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16