Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PIN reset due to the recent data breach

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score

PIN reset due to the recent data breach

Just now, received this text from T-Mobile

T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some T-Mobile data occurred. We have no evidence your debit/credit card information was compromised. We take protection of our customers seriously and to protect your T-Mobile account, your PIN has been reset. Your new PIN: 123456. No action needed.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone (VZ) with Airalo esim for data with Google Voice phone number
    Feedback Score

PIN reset due to the recent data breach

I reset mine on my own. I only use gift cards to pay my monthly fee. No credit card linked to the account. Makes me feel better when there is a breach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Just now, received this text from T-Mobile

T-Mobile has determined that unauthorized access to some T-Mobile data occurred. We have no evidence your debit/credit card information was compromised. We take protection of our customers seriously and to protect your T-Mobile account, your PIN has been reset. Your new PIN: 123456. No action needed.
    Yep, got it on an iPad data line (no longer in an iPad) where I've bought passes (presumably the "old" billing system). Kind of curious to see what, if any kinds of prepaid accounts were breached or if it was across the board.

Edit: All my Prepaid Free Data for Life SIMs got their PINs reset while a hotspot on a Simple Choice Mobile Internet plan on the current billing system (Rebellion) did not. I've since updated the PINs for everything to something entirely new.
    Last edited by ecs0013; 08-18-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am glad to hear that T-Mobile is taking action ASAP instead of waiting to see what could happen. Still embarrassing for them for the hacked accounts for having insufficient safeguards to prevent this.
    Last edited by Serial Port; 08-18-2021 at 03:19 PM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prof68 View Post
    I reset mine on my own. I only use gift cards to pay my monthly fee. No credit card linked to the account. Makes me feel better when there is a breach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here, only ever used refill cards. I'm thinking only postpaid accounts are at major risk.
    Come to think of it, the only time I've ever needed the PIN was when I was purchasing ePins at a TMO store. They wanted to verify my account, it was part of their free phone program. But it was only the one time. The next time, they didn't ask.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    Got the same text message as well, Legacy Gold Rewards. Called the automated 611 to change it to something easier to remember. New PIN number must be 6 to 15 digits long, used to be 4-digit. Guess they're stepping up the security.

The only time I've needed to use the account security PIN is when contacting live customer service to change SIM cards. Had this number for 10+ years now, gone from Mini SIM -> Micro SIM -> Nano SIM. I assume this new PIN is the same PIN used for voicemail?

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Got the same text message as well, Legacy Gold Rewards. Called the automated 611 to change it to something easier to remember. New PIN number must be 6 to 15 digits long, used to be 4-digit. Guess they're stepping up the security.

The only time I've needed to use the account security PIN is when contacting live customer service to change SIM cards. Had this number for 10+ years now, gone from Mini SIM -> Micro SIM -> Nano SIM. I assume this new PIN is the same PIN used for voicemail?
    Yeah, they changed to minimum 6 a few years back...maybe after one of the last breaches? As for the PIN, it's only for account-related access and porting and has no relation to voicemail (although I'd probably recommend keeping them separate even if you can set both to be the same).

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post

I remember setting up one each individually.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No such message on my postpaid T-mobile account.

Feedback Score
    Got this on 2 out of the 3 T-mobile legacy prepaid accounts. For the one that didn't I'm afraid it might have been accidentally deleted, how would you get T-mobile to resend a new PIN?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techdude90 View Post
    Got this on 2 out of the 3 T-mobile legacy prepaid accounts. For the one that didn't I'm afraid it might have been accidentally deleted, how would you get T-mobile to resend a new PIN?
    Did you try calling them? Maybe go to a corporate store. As I said earlier, they asked me for my PIN to verify me once, so presumably they had it on file.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    As I said earlier, they asked me for my PIN to verify me once, so presumably they had it on file.
    From my prior experience with At&t, Verizon, Sprint, and now T-mobile I have always been required to provide my PIN # before they could touch my account. Obviously, they have access from an internal standpoint, but they are required to confirm it and enter it in the computer before they can discuss anything about the account. This should be no surprise for anybody. I worked postpaid customer service with At&t for almost 9 years and it was also the same policy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techdude90 View Post
    Well the easiest way to see if your old PIN still works for the line that did not get reset is to call 611 and the automated system will eventually ask for your account PIN. If it still works, you're fine and it wasn't breached.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It was formerly reported that Metro by T-Mobile subscribers were safe from the hack.
    But now, it looks like 52,000 Metro by T-Mobile customers have been included in the attack.

Former Sprint prepaid and Boost Mobile customers remain to be in the clear.

https://www.tmonews.com/2021/08/numb...curity-attack/

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    My old backup Legacy Gold Rewards line doesn't get powered on often, so I got it up and left it up for an hour or so today, while I visited the web site to check my balance. I got no text messages or anything on the website attempting to alert me to anything regarding the breach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast