Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How much will trade in value decrease when iPhone 13 released?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,755
    Device(s)
    IPhone 13
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    How much will trade in value decrease when iPhone 13 released?

    I’m planning to upgrade from my current iPhone XS Max to the iPhone 12. Right now I would get a $330 trade in through Apple. Rumors are the iPhone 12 will decrease in cost when the iPhone 13 is released but I expect the trade in value of the XS Max to also decrease. Just wondering whether the trade in value of the XS Max will decrease about the same as the cost of the 12 or more.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    21,060
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Nobody can say with any certainty until you are ready to trade your current phone. The crystal ball feature is alway disabled on all phones and there is no additional application you can download to help. Used Apple devices do tend to hold their value longer than most other similar devices and there is no question about that.
    Just another day in paradise.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    0

    How much will trade in value decrease when iPhone 13 released?

    Probably can expect another $50-$70 drop in trade-in value. Could be more, could be less, but I would expect at least $50 less.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    126
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S21 5G, a32 5G, S10+, iPhone 12 mini, bunch of others
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Red Pocket, 3UK, VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Seems like Apple cuts the price of current models by $100 when new ones are introduced.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,477
    Feedback Score
    0
    The iPhone 11 is $200 less that the iPhone 12. $599 versus $799.

    The XS Max trade in is $330 like you said. The trade in on the previous year's phone the X is $220. So that's $110 less.

    So if this is pattern repeats, your trade-in value shouldn't drop as much as the iPhone 12 price should drop. Thus, you'll save some money by waiting until the new release.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,755
    Device(s)
    IPhone 13
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The iPhone 11 is $200 less that the iPhone 12. $599 versus $799.

    The XS Max trade in is $330 like you said. The trade in on the previous year's phone the X is $220. So that's $110 less.

    So if this is pattern repeats, your trade-in value shouldn't drop as much as the iPhone 12 price should drop. Thus, you'll save some money by waiting until the new release.
    thanks. This is what I was thinking and was looking for someone to confirm my thinking.

    (and to everyone, I’m well aware that there are no guarantees but patterns are often a good indicator or what to expect.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,755
    Device(s)
    IPhone 13
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    OK. So it looks like it made sense to wait. As of today, Apple shows $320 trade in value for my XS Max. Trade in value only dropped $10.

    The other thing that surprises me is that the iPhone 13 256GB is $899. As of Sep 12, the iPhone 12 256Gb was $949. (The iPhone 12 25bGB is showing as $849 today so while $100 less than it was earlier, only $50 less than the 13 - maybe price on 12 will drop on Friday but since the 13 is only $899, I'm going with that.)


    Edit: Setting my alarm for 6:45 am CT on Friday so I can be ready at 5 am PT.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,638
    Device(s)
    iPhone12 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
    Edit: Setting my alarm for 6:45 am CT on Friday so I can be ready at 5 am PT.
    Have you done the pre-pre-order in the Apple Store app? Last year I didn't do that, because I couldn't make up my mind if I was updating or not. On ordering day, I was on-line at 4:58 AM PT, but it took nearly an hour to get my order accepted, so I didn't get a release day phone (I did get it the following Thursday). People who had done the pre-pre-order sailed right through the ordering process.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,755
    Device(s)
    IPhone 13
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Have you done the pre-pre-order in the Apple Store app? Last year I didn't do that, because I couldn't make up my mind if I was updating or not. On ordering day, I was on-line at 4:58 AM PT, but it took nearly an hour to get my order accepted, so I didn't get a release day phone (I did get it the following Thursday). People who had done the pre-pre-order sailed right through the ordering process.
    I did however it would not let me get the Veteran's discount so I ended up reentering everything this morning. I had no problems getting through (other than the fact that it wasn't online right at 5 am PT. As soon as it came on line, I had no problems getting through. Not sure exact time but the confirmation email came at 7:13 and that took a few minutes after I got confirmation that my order went through on line.

    So I should receive my Pink iPhone 13 on the 24th.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,638
    Device(s)
    iPhone12 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Excellent - I'm glad you got through and will be getting a release day phone. Enjoy it!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
  2. how much will 6230i be on 2yr when released
    By jyalexop2003 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 02:45 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 07:23 PM

Bookmarks