Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CDMA (3G) network retirement

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    2022 now? Boy Verizon can’t can’t stick to a god damn schedule can they. Of course I’m not surprised from a company that’s been “beta testing” IPv6 on their Fios service for 11 years.
    One again this was announced MONTHS ago this isn't new news

Device(s)
    Moto Z4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    My understanding of the problem is that there are tens of millions of IoT and M2M devices still using 3G. Start with pretty much every truck on the road has a GPS tracking and monitoring system. Those things don't get updated every few years like we do our phones.
    As a previous poster queried, Verizon could disable access from regular phones and keep some minimal CDMA system up only for certain IoT and M2M devices, if there was a good business reason to do so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    One again this was announced MONTHS ago this isn't new news
    Hey this is all new news to me.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I think Verizon Wireless has had some business contracts that forced CDMA to stay up but not sure when those agreements expire.
    They did, back when CDMA was going to be blocked off for everyone else at end of 2019, 1 alarm company had an extension (I think it was in fact to Dec. 31, 2022..) Honestly, my guess is some account manager f'ed up and forgot to remove CDMA from the contract... but it was a large and lucrative enough they decided leaving 1 sliver of 1x up for it was worth it.

Actually this is 1st I'd heard of the Dec. 31, 2022 end date too, but I haven't been on hofo for a bit (and all VoLTE-capable devices so VZW wouldn't have any reason to notify me of anything.)

To OP: You'll need to replace your S3; as others have pointed out, you can get the low-end current Android model and it'll be fine. Of course it spanks the S3 in terms of raw specs, but newer Android would also have higher requirements than the version on the S3. Nevertheless it'll be a bit faster, be able to hold somewhat more apps, games, and photos, and of course run much more modern apps (if you're looking for that.)

You would likely have to replace your network extender too -- if it's one of the ones where it uses wifi and provides a signal, I thought the 1x/3g models were already shut down? If you have one and it's working, apparently not . You'll need an LTE version of it by then. If it's a signal amp, you'll probably be fine, CDMA uses band 2 (1900 PCS) and band 5 (850) (1, the other, or both, depending on which licenses they have in Hawaii), but VZW has LTE up and running on these bands too.

Feedback Score
    Here’s something interesting. All this talk about Verizon killing off 3G and CDMA by not fixing equipment when it fails or breaks, could it be possible Hurricane Ida may have spread up the timeline with all the tower damage? Verizon in the Northeast has said they’re not going to be repairing copper lines and customers will be either upgraded to fiber or contacted for alternative solutions. https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...-hurricane-ida

Feedback Score
    Possibly. It is hard to know what Verizon will do in a disaster situation unless they tell us. Telling us in much technical detail is unlikely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    Here’s something interesting. All this talk about Verizon killing off 3G and CDMA by not fixing equipment when it fails or breaks, could it be possible Hurricane Ida may have spread up the timeline with all the tower damage? Verizon in the Northeast has said they’re not going to be repairing copper lines and customers will be either upgraded to fiber or contacted for alternative solutions. https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...-hurricane-ida
    I don't believe, but could be wrong, that Verizon has anything to do with copper vs fiber except for maybe dedicated fiber for their wireless backhaul. You get Verizon landline phone service through their arrangement with local telecomm. It won't be Verizon upgrading to fiber for that, it's not their lines. As an example Century Link is cutting off dsl to copper line areas because they don't want to invest in fiber with so many people switching landlines to wireless. ISP's that provided DSL to these areas (throough their arrangement with Century) stopped offering it because CenturyLink won't go to fiber in some areas. So telecomms may run it to Verizon towers but not to Verizon landline customers. Verizon's alternate solution is simply killing their landline service in favor of wireless.

Feedback Score
    By me in New Jersey, Verizon is our phone company. Before I went to Verizon Fios, they took care of the copper wiring on the poles, to the house, and inside the house for both phone service and DSL. After hurricane Sandy damaged a lot of copper lines and equipment Verizon said they weren’t replacing their copper lines to peoples homes. Even their CEO said that Sandy was a further catalyst to Verizon's already stated plans to start to move away from older copper lines.

News article: https://www.lightreading.com/broadba.../d/d-id/700049
    News report: https://youtu.be/aaOd46g5V3Q
    News article: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/124166
    News article: https://pressofatlanticcity.com/news...f0c93734e.html

Verizon has been retiring their copper equipment for awhile now and shifting to fiber.
    https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-...rk-disclosures
    https://voltecommunications.com/veri...ment-schedule/

All this is to say that there’s precedent that Verizon has used storms damaging their equipment to speed up plans.

Feedback Score
    OK, thanks @DebiLee. I live in the SW. Verizon doesn't have their own lines in my area, they just use whatever companies lines that do. In my case CenturyLink maintained lines who refuses to go to fiber here.
    Comparing even wireless in the NE to the SW is apples and oranges too. That's why my other comments about areas that had stellar 3G not being able to get an 4G/LTE signal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    OK, thanks @DebiLee. I live in the SW. Verizon doesn't have their own lines in my area, they just use whatever companies lines that do. In my case CenturyLink maintained lines who refuses to go to fiber here.
    Comparing even wireless in the NE to the SW is apples and oranges too. That's why my other comments about areas that had stellar 3G not being able to get an 4G/LTE signal.
    Verizon has been a telco for years just like at&t is a telco. They are not 3rd party reseller

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    One thing I've wondered, I'm sure there are sites where the 1x and 3g are running on the old 1x and 3g equipment, older sites that are still band 13-only or the earlier "XLTE" so band 13+band 4 deployment. But newer sites, are you sure the 1x and 3g equipment is still there? The SDR (Software Defined Radio) that runs the 4G and (sub-6) 5G on newer sites, they do support GSSM/UMTS/HSPA and in some cases CDMA and EVDO, they could be running it off the SDR without any "legacy"equipment in place. Of course if the SDR CDMA/EVDO didn't play nice with the CDMA/EVDO backend equipment it would not be worth it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    But newer sites, are you sure the 1x and 3g equipment is still there.
    Stuff that has gone up in the last few years? No there isn't any CDMA equipment. We had 2 new towers completed in the fall of 2019 neither of those has any CDMA on it I can tell you that

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Stuff that has gone up in the last few years? No there isn't any CDMA equipment. We had 2 new towers completed in the fall of 2019 neither of those has any CDMA on it I can tell you that
    For sure, but it's possible for the newer 4G/5G hardware (SDR-based stuff from last 6-7 years) to also provide "legacy" support, these systems can support GSM, UMST/HSPA, CDMA, EVDO, 4G LTE and (if it's fast/new enough) 5G NR off a single setup, they typically pay some base price for the hardware and per-protocol to support the various phone standards (so they don't have to pay for protocols they'll never use) although I think some just ship with everything. I don't know if Verizon does this or not, but if so it's possible Ida wouldn't hasten 1x/3G shutdown at all, if the 1x/3G is already gone from the sites and the service is emanating from the same hardware as 4G/5G.

Feedback Score
    For sure, but it's possible for the newer 4G/5G hardware (SDR-based stuff from last 6-7 years) to also provide "legacy" support, these systems can support GSM, UMST/HSPA, CDMA, EVDO, 4G LTE and (if it's fast/new enough) 5G NR off a single setup, they typically pay some base price for the hardware and per-protocol to support the various phone standards (so they don't have to pay for protocols they'll never use) although I think some just ship with everything. I don't know if Verizon does this or not, but if so it's possible Ida wouldn't hasten 1x/3G shutdown at all, if the 1x/3G is already gone from the sites and the service is emanating from the same hardware as 4G/5G.
    Any CDMA equipment that was damaged will 100% not be replaced

Feedback Score
    This is a good point. Perhaps if the equipment was damaged then maybe Verizon will replace it with the new “single setup” equipment you’ve mentioned. Perhaps that new equipment will put out even better performance then the equipment that was previously in place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2