Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDMA (3G) network retirement

Feedback Score

CDMA (3G) network retirement

After December 31st, 2022, if you are a Verizon customer still using a device that is 3G (CDMA) or 4G that does not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE), the device will no longer make/receive calls,
    send/receive text messages, or use data services.
    Until this date, your device will still be able to use these services.
    Device models that are 3G (CDMA) and 4G that do not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE) will be impacted. Some of the popular impacted devices include:
    4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice
    Samsung Galaxy S4 or Prior

from my account on Verizon website:
    Galaxy S3
    IMEI
    ###########
    on my phone:
    SCH-I535
    IMIE
    ###########
    neither show MEID or ESN even though Verizon phones are supposed to be both CDMA and GSM.
    I live in Hawaii, in a cell tower shadow area, so have to use a network extender. phone does not show 4G in upper right of screen area.

so:
    is my smarty phone a CDMA or GSM?
    and, will it be afffected by the CDMA retirement?
    cheers
    Last edited by Serial Port; 08-16-2021 at 07:57 AM. Reason: IMEI should never appear in an open forum to prevent fraud. Only offer make/model.

Feedback Score
    The Verizon Galaxy S3 is a CDMA phone with only LTE band 13. It will stop working when CDMA is turned off end of 2022, maybe earlier as they start shutting down the network. It has no GSM capability, unlike later models.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE, Galaxy a10e
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    First, I see people mentioning all the time you don't want to post your IMEI, etc, on public forums.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current primary phone. And also have a Galaxy a10e as a backup travel phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    As your post indicated, models before the S5 won't work, so aren't VoLTE compatible. And since it works on Verizon, it is obviously CDMA. Some much more modern phones will work on Verizon without CDMA.

And if you are trying to work a phone until the end of the listed support, you can't assume that something won't happen before then that causes it to be disabled earlier. Though Verizon has extended things a few times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    As your post indicated, models before the S5 won't work, so aren't VoLTE compatible. And since it works on Verizon, it is obviously CDMA. Some much more modern phones will work on Verizon without CDMA.

And if you are trying to work a phone until the end of the listed support, you can't assume that something won't happen before then that causes it to be disabled earlier. Though Verizon has extended things a few times.
    They aren't extending it again and just because Dec 31 2022 is the end date doesn't mean it can't be shut off in areas before then. They could shut all all CDMA in my area tomorrow if they wanted too. The OP needs to upgrade already. Even the lowest end Samsung phone is better than this, Even Samsung Galaxy A12 (verizon.com) or Samsung Galaxy A02s (verizon.com) is better than what they have though I wouldn't get either

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Dec 31 2022 seems to be yet another extension to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Dec 31 2022 seems to be yet another extension to me.
    This date was announced months ago. It's not getting extended further

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, Mobi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    This date was announced months ago. It's not getting extended further
    All I can say is wait and see. End of 2020 became 2021 then 2022. I’ve been on compatible phone for years so doesn’t affect me.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is Verizon Wireless shutting down the 1X/EVDO signal at the end of the year or are they just cutting off access to consumer/MVNO accounts. I think Verizon Wireless has had some business contracts that forced CDMA to stay up but not sure when those agreements expire.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    aloha
    mahalo to everyone that responded.

on "https://www.wikihow.com/Check-CDMA-or-GSM":
    Check your phone's "About" settings. If you see a MEID or an ESN category, your phone requires CDMA; if you see an IMEI category, your phone is GSM.
    If you see both (e.g., Verizon phones), your phone supports both CDMA and GSM, and may use either network.
    Use the following steps to check your phone's "About" settings
    Android:
    Open the Settings app.
    Tap About phone.
    Tap Status,
    Look for an MEID (or ESN) or IMEI number.

so, since my phone only shows an IMEI, and not either MEID or ESN, is Wikihow just wrong on this?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My iPhone 12 Pro Max is active on Verizon’s network via eSIM but it still has an MEID in addition to an IMEI in Settings → General → About.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deWOZ! View Post
    aloha
    mahalo to everyone that responded.

on "https://www.wikihow.com/Check-CDMA-or-GSM":
    Check your phone's "About" settings. If you see a MEID or an ESN category, your phone requires CDMA; if you see an IMEI category, your phone is GSM.
    If you see both (e.g., Verizon phones), your phone supports both CDMA and GSM, and may use either network.
    Use the following steps to check your phone's "About" settings
    Android:
    Open the Settings app.
    Tap About phone.
    Tap Status,
    Look for an MEID (or ESN) or IMEI number.

so, since my phone only shows an IMEI, and not either MEID or ESN, is Wikihow just wrong on this?
    The SCH-I535 has CDMA and LTE band 13. It has no GSM capability. It's running on borrowed time. Verizon is providing 3G CDMA and EvDO on an as-is where-is basis with no guarantees of continuing service even now. If something breaks they don't fix it or continue it if a cell site is updated.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    That's correct.. in Chicago the CDMA is just dreadful now. In my house it's full signal LTE/DSS 5G even in the basement - but that's due to a small cell at the end of the block.

CDMA, indoors is barely "1 bar" and breaks up terribly... outside it's a solid "single bar" and is usable.. but at this point there's simply no reason to keep a CDMA handset.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deWOZ! View Post
    After December 31st, 2022…
    2022 now? Boy Verizon can’t can’t stick to a god damn schedule can they. Of course I’m not surprised from a company that’s been “beta testing” IPv6 on their Fios service for 11 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    2022 now? Boy Verizon can’t can’t stick to a god damn schedule can they. Of course I’m not surprised from a company that’s been “beta testing” IPv6 on their Fios service for 11 years.
    My understanding of the problem is that there are tens of millions of IoT and M2M devices still using 3G. Start with pretty much every truck on the road has a GPS tracking and monitoring system. Those things don't get updated every few years like we do our phones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast