Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation ios 13.5.1 and iphone 7plus

I have ios 13.5.1 on an iphone 7plus. I did not update because there is an app I use that is not compatible with iso 14. I have 14gb of space available of 128gb. Phone has been working fine for the three years I've had it. (except when it gets full lol).

So today the app I didn't update for started acting weird. I thought maybe the developher finally stopped it. (It's on it's way out). I thought the app was dead. Earlier I noticed Facebook wasn't loading and my bank app was crashing. I didn't think anything of it because apps always have issues.

Sometime this evening another app wouldn't open. Now I'm getting suspicious. I had 26 apps update today. Some automatically, and earlier I did 9 updates at once. Then I noticed all apps I updated would do one of the following:
    Open and freeze.
    Load forever and never open.
    Open all the way and crash
    Crash upon the logo screen
    Loads only to a white screen and stays that way forever.

Basically very few apps work. Facebook started working again, but now it's not again.

I thought it was just apps that I updated but it's not. It's also apps that haven't been updated.
    Settings works fine thank goodness.

I have never had something so strange happen and i've been using iphones for 10 years.

Is it possible something is up with ios 13.5.1? I have a backup from yesterday and I'm THINKING of restoring to that backup but will the phone be forced to update? If I update I will lose that app I use daily.

I worked in phone tech support and I have seen some crazy things but never something like this. I am at a total loss and was wondering if anyone is having any similar issues or has anything ever happened like this?

Specs of phone:
    iphone 7plus 128gb
    14.86gb free
    1 song
    151 (short) videos
    13,263 photos
    105 apps

I have restarted and did a hard shutdown.

(the amount of photos is not an issue since I've had as little as 128MB left and the phone was slow but didn't act like this. I would make sure they are all backed up to google photos but that crashes too!)

Thanks for any help!
    My body is a cage,
    My mind holds the key.
    Except I lost the key.

Feedback Score
    The next step I would try is a Network Reset. This is a common cure for many iPhone issues that communicate with other devices.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I did think of that but was trying other things first. I did delete and reinstall a few apps and that didn't work either. I guess along the lines of network reset, I can toggle airplaine mode and pull the simcard. I'll update with results. (fingers crossed!!).

Edit 1: can't get into reset network settings. I get as far as reset and when I tap reset it freezes. If I search for it up top, I type "reset..." and it freezes. I can go into other things tho, but not reset.

My phone is not jailbroken so the odds of a virus are unlikely. I'm going to pull the sim card. If this doesn't work I'll have to restore to a backup.

Edit 2: I hard restarted and was able to get into network setting reset. That didn't work. Just for the heck of it I went to download mcafee. I type name of app, press enter and all I get is the spinny thing forever. So I look on laptop, message myself the link (thru messenger which mostly works thank goodness), and it takes me right to the app. It downloads............

but it crashes upon opening! NEXT....................

From what I'm assuming there is no safe mode in iphone right? aFAIK there is only DFU mode?

Edit 3: Sim pull didn't work. I'm guessing it's an ios issue considering it's ios 13.5.1 and apple just released 14.7.1. I don't really want to restore to a backup. I don't know if i will have to update the ios upon restore. Does anyone know if this will happen? If it doesn't I will gladly restore to a backup.
    Last edited by FallenAnjel; 07-31-2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added info

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So it seems that the apps that are freezing are just extremely slow. I was using instacart (miraculously it was working) and when I hit "continue" to go to check out it "froze" I left it just to see what would happen. 15 minutes later it went to the next screen. However it froze again when I tapped the next item.

It's almost as if it's the year 2000 and my explorer browser is loaded with 6 toolbars and all sorts of bloatware and it takes 20 minutes for the computer to start up.

So to test my theory I opened facebook, started using that and As I was typing a reply and tagging a page it froze at the @F with the "F" pressed on the keyboard ("popped up"). I started a timer.
    It took 6.5 minutes for the "or" to show up but froze again with the O & R "in the air".
    Then it took 4 minutes for the O & R to finish typing and the S to show up and then S was frozen 'in the air'
    As it was frozen I typed the rest of the word, "ale" with nothing happening knowing the keyboard taps were "recorded".
    At the 16.5 minute mark the app crashed.
    I went back into facebook, to the post, it was still there but as soon as I typed the "a" it froze again.

So it was a total of 36 minutes to get five characters typed and not all of them even showed up or was succesfully typed.

I'm currently in the process of moving pics and video over to hard drive (which I do every now and then anyway). I don't understand this at all. I don't understand it because like I said in my first post I've had as little as 129 MEGABYTES free and the phone NEVER acted like this. And I am ALWAYS filling my phone up . I have to clean it out at least three times per year. This is why I think it's either an ios issue or maybe a chip went bad or something. IDK.