Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile's coverage map now displays "Ultra Capacity 5G" (n41)

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile's coverage map now displays "Ultra Capacity 5G" (n41)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What are the details about "Ultra Capacity 5G" ? Couldn't easily find the information on T-Mobile's site.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In Typical T-Mobile fashion... their legend doesn't state much either.
    As a good piece of news on that... Bar Harbor now shows up as native coverage, and 'Ultra' capacity.

In another typical piece of somewhat misleading map... 5G ultra capacity is shown across all of Boston (except Logan International).
    Umm.. 5g signal may have shown up... but not actual service on n71 or n41 for much of Boston.
    I expect that this contains 'future' coverage (6 - 12 months from now).

To quote their 'map and info' link

Map Information: Map approximates anticipated coverage outdoors (including 600Mhz 4G LTE) based on a variety of factors, which may include limited or no coverage areas, and does not guarantee service availability. Some coverage (e.g., Narrowband IoT, millimeter wave 5G) not depicted.

If you are (most often) in an 'ultra capacity' area, I'd suggest disabling n71 - assuming you have a device that can do this (eg. Samsung) or you may often be on n71 vs. n41.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    Only "Extended Range 5G" here. Thirteen miles from town, 3.1 miles from AZ/MX border. Infrequently drops to TELCEL 3g roaming.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have Ultra 5G mapped in almost all of my city. I have definitely seen the higher wireless speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    I have Ultra 5G mapped in almost all of my city. I have definitely seen the higher wireless speeds.
    Can you post them? I get 160 mbps dl on sprint but i suspended my T-Mobile service for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Great find OP-Jake!

I’m loving the speeds. Getting 100 Mbps plus LTE speeds in areas I used to get 10 or 20 down in lots of areas where I live!

Keeps getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Boy are those tiny little spots! I can see why they have not bothered showing mid-band coverage up till now.

I guess I will stop worrying about when N41 will get here, because the T-Mobile site that covers my town is located 6 miles away and from the looks of how they are showing the coverage of the individual sites they have upgraded in other towns in the area, this signal would only reach out about a mile from the tower. And be very spotty at that.

In other words, it ain't coming here. Oh well, both AT&T and Verizon have sites IN town here, so I will hope they do something with 5G at some point.

Feedback Score
    Ultra Capacity shows up in my town now, and a check shows Home Internet available. Unfortunately, people I know outside of town have the same lousy coverage. Only more towers will fix that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Ultra Capacity shows up in my town now, and a check shows Home Internet available. Unfortunately, people I know outside of town have the same lousy coverage. Only more towers will fix that.
    You like or want their home internet? I haven’t heard much good about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmama2078 View Post
    You like or want their home internet? I haven’t heard much good about it.
    I don't need other Internet just now, but it might be something for the future if AT&T stops the DSL service I now use. Have had that for 8 years with no problems, but they don't even offer it anymore for new subscribers. Very few Internet choices here even in town, and I don't want Comcast. T-Mobile coverage is pretty good here in town, but even slowed down would be faster than my DSL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, it looks like these Ultra Capacity sites only have about a one-mile reach, if that. It's a little disappointing to see such a limited reach after all the hype from T-Mobile about how good it was going to be. It is better than mm-wave to be sure, but it looks like this is going to be another technology that is only useful in urban settings and cities and towns where existing site density is good enough to support it, and since it can travel through glass, leaves, and walls, it will have good utility.

New towers are always good, but there are plenty of towers already across the country that T-Mobile does not have equipment on that would increase and densify their coverage a huge amount. Here in my county, there are 10 towers that each have both AT&T and Verizon equipment on, while T-Mobile is only on 3 of them, and they have large gaps in coverage as a result. Sprint never built a system here, so their sites are no factor.

Device(s)
    1+ 8T 5G, Galaxy S20 5G, Moto G7 Power
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdewey View Post
    Yes, it looks like these Ultra Capacity sites only have about a one-mile reach, if that. It's a little disappointing to see such a limited reach after all the hype from T-Mobile about how good it was going to be. .....
    But the ability to shift load to band 41 when within range will improve the speed for people who are out of band 41's range by unloading the other bands.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here in my county, there are 10 towers that each have both AT&T and Verizon equipment on, while T-Mobile is only on 3 of them, and they have large gaps in coverage as a result. Sprint never built a system here, so their sites are no factor.
    Just curious, where would that be ??

In international countries, I suspect that none of the US carriers actual build or maintain the towers, they have roaming agreements with the local cellular provider.

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it looks like these Ultra Capacity sites only have about a one-mile reach, if that. It's a little disappointing to see such a limited reach after all the hype from T-Mobile about how good it was going to be. It is better than mm-wave to be sure, but it looks like this is going to be another technology that is only useful in urban settings and cities and towns where existing site density is good enough to support it, and since it can travel through glass, leaves, and walls, it will have good utility.

New towers are always good, but there are plenty of towers already across the country that T-Mobile does not have equipment on that would increase and densify their coverage a huge amount. Here in my county, there are 10 towers that each have both AT&T and Verizon equipment on, while T-Mobile is only on 3 of them, and they have large gaps in coverage as a result. Sprint never built a system here, so their sites are no factor.
    I have been able to get a few miles (5) out of them, but you pretty much need to have a device that can disable n71 in favor of n41 (Samsungs). it really depends on the site itself. If you have a site that's built up on a high location (macro), its coverage is similar to AWS/PCS, even if the signal is weak. Where n41 takes a real hit is indoors (or through trees/buildings/etc). Clear line of site makes a huge difference. For practical use, you are correct, n41/b41 beyond a mile (esp in urban areas) is typical, and carriers need the spectrum reuse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast