Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DISH and AT&T Sign Strategic Network Services Agreement

Feedback Score

DISH and AT&T Sign Strategic Network Services Agreement

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like the is Dish's response to T-Mobile not backing down from the CDMA shutdown.

Dish is definitely going to push Sprint device users off the system. Add in that most Boost devices aren't even on AT&T'S VoLTE whitelist... They will definitely see churn from this.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like Dish has no plans to build out their own network anytime soon. I can't imagine that Cricket and H2O dealers are happy about this news either. If Dish offers the same network, without the 8 Mbps cap that those guys offer, there is no use sticking with them unless they lower their prices to levels they don't want to be at. Verizon probably couldn't care less anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Sounds like the is Dish's response to T-Mobile not backing down from the CDMA shutdown.

Dish is definitely going to push Sprint device users off the system. Add in that most Boost devices aren't even on AT&T'S VoLTE whitelist... They will definitely see churn from this.
    At least it might help the coverage issues that many have with T-Mobile. That is IF you have a phone with enough bands to run on all these networks. Already has been a problem with some Sprint/Boost phones on T-Mobile. Not sure if AT&T would offer VoLTE to a roaming partner.

Device(s)
    Essential Phone, Galaxy Tab A
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I haven't had Boost in awhile. Do they use their own SIM cards or do customers have to go to Boost to get a new AT&T SIM Card? What do Boost customers need to do to get AT&T coverage?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 7 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drhz View Post
    I haven't had Boost in awhile. Do they use their own SIM cards or do customers have to go to Boost to get a new AT&T SIM Card? What do Boost customers need to do to get AT&T coverage?
    My guess is you'll have to buy a new phone, or you will be told you have to buy a new phone to get the AT&T coverage. With companies having the ability to blacklist IMEIs, it will be interesting what bring your own phone options will be available.

Boost usually had their own branded sim cards since they were only allow Sprint's native coverage area. I don't see that policy changing. It will also be interesting to see how many dealers will start to sell unlocked phones that will be compatible with the new network.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    At least it might help the coverage issues that many have with T-Mobile. That is IF you have a phone with enough bands to run on all these networks. Already has been a problem with some Sprint/Boost phones on T-Mobile. Not sure if AT&T would offer VoLTE to a roaming partner.
    I believe AT&T does for Verizon roaming customers (those on CDMA-less devices). I think legacy Sprint went VoLTE on AT&T as well (they had them as a roaming partner well before the merger)

Your point about coverage is a fair one, I will agree.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Sounds like Dish has no plans to build out their own network anytime soon.
    They still have to abide by the requirements of... I think it was 70% population coverage by 2023. Now whether they can do it, or they get an extension (like they have in the past) is another story.

Feedback Score
    Here is another article.

As far as I can tell the AT&T deal does nothing to help with the CDMA migration.

Dish switching network to AT&T after calling T-Mobile anticompetitive
    10-year deal will make AT&T the primary network provider for Dish MVNO business.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...with-t-mobile/

Feedback Score
    so from this quote "provides Dish's retail wireless customers with voice and data roaming services throughout the US on the AT&T network and access to AT&T's network, even within the markets where Dish is deploying its own 5G network,"

it makes me think that Dish will just use the spectrum that they own for data only? Since it is going to rely on at&t for voice everywhere, even where dish is present

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    As far as I can tell the AT&T deal does nothing to help with the CDMA migration.
    Yep, AT&T can provide no support for the Boost users relying on the Sprint CDMA network. 2G/3G phones have to be replaced no matter what. Nowhere to go anyway with the falling support on all CDMA networks.

Feedback Score
    i have not heard much but i believe they will avoid a mass migration from one network to the other. would expect a gradual launching of new handsets/SIMs on the att network as current inventory is sold through.

DISH will have both of these MVNO deals for many years, i suppose it may be possible they could offer a Google Fi type service that use both networks in a seamless way.

Feedback Score
    The deal with t-mobile I think was free with the purchase.

But the deal with AT&T cost a lot of money and I don't see this helping much because it is duplicating what they got for free from t-mobile.

Boost is likely to lose a lot of customers if CDMA is shutoff and their phones just stop working. Boost does not seem to want to do anything that cost money to migrate the CDMA customers.

If boost had 5G covering 70% of the USA by 2023 like they are required that would really help but it seems unlikely they could do this in 2 years.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

But the deal with AT&T cost a lot of money and I don't see this helping much because it is duplicating what they got for free from t-mobile.

Boost is likely to lose a lot of customers if CDMA is shutoff and their phones just stop working. Boost does not seem to want to do anything that cost money to migrate the CDMA customers.

If boost had 5G covering 70% of the USA by 2023 like they are required that would really help but it seems unlikely they could do this in 2 years.
    Wasn't free at all.

Feedback Score
    Dish paid 1.4 billion for Boost. I assume there are also ongoing costs to run as an MVNO on the T-Mobile network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast