Thread: question about t mobile internet

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score

question about t mobile internet

we now have comcast internet and basic cable. i get more tv channels over the air than i do on there basic plan but they gave me the box so i use it on 1 tv.

anyway they keep jacking up the rates and i have to call and get them back down and about a month after they raise the speed they jack up the rates again.

my neighbor got one of those t mobile internet boxes and he tells me he pays like 50$ a month. so what is the deal with this type of system? i do use the internet a lot and we have a roku box and netflix, netflix is about to go but how does this t mobile internet box work for internet and the roku box and netflix?

my neighbor tells me he has not had his rate get raised yet and he has had it all winter, so does t mobile leave there network box rates at one price? or do they raise it after like 6 months or at 1 year or 2 years? and do they start limiting the service after you use it for the month, so that if we are watching the roku box a lot we get throttled down towards the end of the month?

if t mobile messes with there service after you are using it every month then i may be better to just suck up comcast and live with there b/s. i do not need to drop them just to wind up in another company's b/s thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    we now have comcast internet and basic cable. i get more tv channels over the air than i do on there basic plan but they gave me the box so i use it on 1 tv.

anyway they keep jacking up the rates and i have to call and get them back down and about a month after they raise the speed they jack up the rates again.

my neighbor got one of those t mobile internet boxes and he tells me he pays like 50$ a month. so what is the deal with this type of system? i do use the internet a lot and we have a roku box and netflix, netflix is about to go but how does this t mobile internet box work for internet and the roku box and netflix?

my neighbor tells me he has not had his rate get raised yet and he has had it all winter, so does t mobile leave there network box rates at one price? or do they raise it after like 6 months or at 1 year or 2 years? and do they start limiting the service after you use it for the month, so that if we are watching the roku box a lot we get throttled down towards the end of the month?

if t mobile messes with there service after you are using it every month then i may be better to just suck up comcast and live with there b/s. i do not need to drop them just to wind up in another company's b/s thanks
    T-Mobile Home Internet is $50 a month. The hotspot device is free. The $50 a month is not an intro rate, but there is no contract so they could change it for everyone any time - I doubt they will for a while, but that is just a guess.

The hotspot device puts out Wifi that you can use with your Roku, etc. It has an Ethernet port if you need to plug one thing in or connect it to another router.

The speed you get depends on how good your T-Mobile signal and service is where you are. The supplied device will do 5G if that is available where you are. The speeds I have seen reported have been ~7 - 200 Mbps. 7 isn't great compared to cable, but it is enough to run at least one HD video stream from Netflix, etc. through the Roku along with other routine Internet use.

The service is unlimited data. I have not heard of any cap or throttle after some level of use.

Availability is not unlimited. T-Mo is only allowing so many of these in a service area. Too many in an area could bog down the network for everyone, including mobile phones. That means that if you can get it now it does not mean you could get it later. I would go ahead and try it. You can always go back to cable.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    T-Mobile Home Internet is $50 a month. The hotspot device is free. The $50 a month is not an intro rate, but there is no contract so they could change it for everyone any time - I doubt they will for a while, but that is just a guess.

The hotspot device puts out Wifi that you can use with your Roku, etc. It has an Ethernet port if you need to plug one thing in or connect it to another router.

The speed you get depends on how good your T-Mobile signal and service is where you are. The supplied device will do 5G if that is available where you are. The speeds I have seen reported have been ~7 - 200 Mbps. 7 isn't great compared to cable, but it is enough to run at least one HD video stream from Netflix, etc. through the Roku along with other routine Internet use.

The service is unlimited data. I have not heard of any cap or throttle after some level of use.

Availability is not unlimited. T-Mo is only allowing so many of these in a service area. Too many in an area could bog down the network for everyone, including mobile phones. That means that if you can get it now it does not mean you could get it later. I would go ahead and try it. You can always go back to cable.
    ok thanks i may take a drive down to the t mobile store tomorrow and see about one of these. and test it for a month or 2 and see how it is working.

had a time logging back on this site did not like my password and not even the rest passwords. wow! took over an hour to get logged back on. thanks

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

question about t mobile internet

T-Mobile is also offering a free 30 day test drive for their phone service. If you have an iPhone you can do it via esim.
    Last edited by Orlimar1; 06-28-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    ok you say you can hook up a router to this device? do you happen to know if i was to connect my router to it will it allow me to see my cameras that i now can see with current cable modem? and when i connect to my router can i get online to the internet when going thru my router?

tomorrow i think i will stop out to the corner t mobile store and get one and give it a month try if you say it will work about like comcast works with my router. i have a network system now connected to my comcast system and i can see my cameras when away from home. anyway to give it a good test i will try one for a month and see how it does for speed during that time. if i can get 25 mbps on a steady pace then it will be my go to system. that is what inow get and i'm satisfied with that speed. thanks

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    can anyone tell me if i have to be a t mobile phone customer to get one of these hot spot type modems? the wife has metro pcs phone service and she claims that is t mobile. i think metro pcs uses the t mobile system but you guys can let me know for sure.

anyway t mobiles webiste tells me i can get one in my area, but the local store may have a better insight to that, or they may just sell me a service and let me muddle thru poor reception on my own it the area has been drenched in demand.

but before i waste my time masking up and going to the store, i will ask if anyone can tell me if i have to be a customer first.

also being no one has said if i can hook up my router to it with my cameras on it i guess that will be trial run. plus i have 2 towers in my area that i can see so being this is not bound to the cable from comcast i'm thinking i might be able to place it in a window on either side of the house and leave it where i get the best reception, does that sound about correct? what app would i use to tell what tower is giving me the best reception?

thanks for the help

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    so i see they are now 60$ i guess if they work good it will be a fair price to get rid of comcast for what i use comcast for. so because not may can help with my questions i will have to go get one and take it for a month or to test drive. t mobile cays i have 5g available to me but i'm not trusting there map as when i move around the excellent drops to good and that is iffy. i put in my girls address and from my address it said poor but with her address it said excellent, so i think they are b/sing me on the map data.

so today i went and ordered a internet device and will get it sometime in or before august. they set up my email and pin and when i got home i could not login to my account. now i have to wait for a rep to call me back to get that setup. unless i have to download there appa nd set it up then.

thanks for the help
    Last edited by corvairbob; 06-30-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Feedback Score
    ok you say you can hook up a router to this device? do you happen to know if i was to connect my router to it will it allow me to see my cameras that i now can see with current cable modem? and when i connect to my router can i get online to the internet when going thru my router?...
    I would expect the cameras to work like they do with cable with your router connected to the T-Mo hotspot. You should be able to use the T-Mo hotspot just like a cable modem. Some router config may be required.

I don't personally have the T-Mo Home Internet. Anyone with personal experience please chime in.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    thanks. i think i will try one and se. as it looks like there are not many people with on yet to give a good review. it will be worth 50 to 60$ to see if it works like some online reviews say.

Feedback Score
    can anyone tell me if i have to be a t mobile phone customer to get one of these hot spot type modems? the wife has metro pcs phone service and she claims that is t mobile. i think metro pcs uses the t mobile system but you guys can let me know for sure.

anyway t mobiles webiste tells me i can get one in my area, but the local store may have a better insight to that, or they may just sell me a service and let me muddle thru poor reception on my own it the area has been drenched in demand.

but before i waste my time masking up and going to the store, i will ask if anyone can tell me if i have to be a customer first.

also being no one has said if i can hook up my router to it with my cameras on it i guess that will be trial run. plus i have 2 towers in my area that i can see so being this is not bound to the cable from comcast i'm thinking i might be able to place it in a window on either side of the house and leave it where i get the best reception, does that sound about correct? what app would i use to tell what tower is giving me the best reception?
    I don't think you have to be a current T-Mo customer to add the Home Internet service, but I have no personal experience. It's easy enough to check. If they let you order it online or in a store you're good to go.

Connecting to your home router for the cameras should work and also work for other Internet use. Do a web search on "t-mobile home internet external router". There is lots of info about it.

The T-Mo device will have a web user interface for configuration and status info. The info that comes with it will say how access the device web UI. Basically, use a web browser to go to 192.168.12.1 and login with the info provided with the unit. Once there, there will be info about the signal level. It will be something like -95 dBm. Less negative is stronger signal, e.g. -80 is less negative than -90.

Another way would be to do speed tests with the unit in various locations. Higher speed it better.

I have weak AT&T signal at my home. It makes a big difference where I put my hotspot in the house. Right at one particular window is best. Just a few feet inside away from the window the signal drops way off to barely usable. If you have strong signal, it may not matter much where you put it.

I hope it works well for you and you can tell the cable company to kiss your grits.

Feedback Score
    thanks. i think i will try one and se. as it looks like there are not many people with on yet to give a good review. it will be worth 50 to 60$ to see if it works like some online reviews say.
    I have seen enough posts and reviews about to give it a try if I needed one. The posts and reviews indicate that it all depends on how good T-Mo signal is where you are. It can be great, poor, or anywhere in between. I could live with 10 Mbps, but some people get all upset and whiny it they don't get 200 Mbps and call it trash.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    so i went to the t-mobile store and got one coming in the mail. will take until august until it gets here 5 g and the tower is down the road according to there website at the store. so in august when it gets here i will give it a try to see just how good it is and if it holds a good steady signal i will cancel comcast and then in a year i may go back to comcast and get there teaster rates again. i have complained so many time they do not give me good rates anymore.

Device(s)
    lg beacon
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    i posted on my local nextdoor sheridan forum and asked some local guys about this t mobile modem and how good it works and the general consensus is that is works pretty good. not lightning fast but 10 uses now tell me they get from 60mbps up to 100 mbps and i guess that depends how they are located to the towers. t mobile showed me that i'm just inside the 5g tower footprint and i should get a good signal, now when i get it in or around august i will set it up and see just how it works for me. if i get a good signal and it holds steady enough i will drop comcast and stay with tmobile internet as they do not jack up the rates all the time. if i get 25mbps and i can stream the roku then i'm set.

thanks.