Thread: New phones plan only for Tracfone?

Feedback Score

New phones plan only for Tracfone?

My last phone was Motorola with triple minutes. Am I correct in thinking those are no longer offered by Tracfone?
    Just wondering what my options are when my current phone gets too old or the battery starts dying on me.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have you checked this Tracfone internet site: https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans?...E&gclsrc=aw.ds ??

Google is your friend.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    The "Basic" refill cards are the ones that work with the TMFL (Triple Minutes For Life) benefit.

Yes, the "Basic" refill cards are still offered on the Tracfone website, as well as at Target (at least for email delivery-- I haven't looked at the store), and some other retailers. It is getting harder to find the physical Basic cards in stores.

The more important question is whether your line will still have TMFL (Triple Minutes For Life) after replacing the phone. And that question is hard to answer with certainty. The TMFL benefit is tied to the life & usage of the phone that included TMFL, and does not necessarily transfer to an upgraded phone. If the new phone doesn't have TMFL, you can still use the Basic cards, but you'll get only face value without tripling.

For a while, Tracfone had an official policy of transferring TMFL capabilities from an old phone to a new phone on the same line-- "grandfathering" the TMFL benefit. I don't think that offer is still officially promised, but TMFL has continued on at least one of our lines after upgrading the phone within the last year.

Surprisingly, a family member activated a new line about 6 months ago, with a phone that was not officially a TMFL phone-- but they have TMFL on that phone anyway. There is a method for checking online to see if the TMFL benefit will work, but you can only check after the phone is activated.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to tell in advance whether you will get to keep the TMFL benefit. Depending on your situation, you may be able to refill just as cheaply, or at least close, with a Smartphone card as with the Basic cards. For example there is frequently a discount code available to buy the 1-year Smartphone refill from the Tracfone website

Another possibility is buying on of the bundled phones (phone + a year of service ) from HSN, QVC, or Tracfone's Ebay Store. This would get you an upgraded phone + a year of additional service at a highly discounted price: usually starting around $60. You can transfer from your old phone to the bundled phone, keep any existing minutes/etc, and add the 1-year plan allotments to your buckets. If you haven't done this before, ask for help here on the best way to do it. As mentioned above, there's no guarantee the new phone will retain the TMFL benefit moving forward, but it might.
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    Surprisingly, a family member activated a new line about 6 months ago, with a phone that was not officially a TMFL phone-- but they have TMFL on that phone anyway.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to tell in advance whether you will get to keep the TMFL benefit.
    Exactly like you said. Near the end of April, I activated a TF-branded LG Journey with a $20 90-day 60-minute card mainly to get 90 days of service, not expected to get 180/180/180, but I did.

Name:  Tracfone-Balance-2021-05-23-Journey.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  33.0 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information!