Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: Motorola moto e 2020 how to get google messages app out of automatically sending texts in mms mode

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    64
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    That's all as it should be, but the OP can't get the quoted one to work. Any message from the phone to an email address it send as MMS, regardless of length.

    And I got the same results with Textra (Android 10 phone).

    Yep if I send one word as a text to any e mail and it STILL sends as MMS. So something doesn't appear to be right.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,814
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FUV View Post
    Yep if I send one word as a text to any e mail and it STILL sends as MMS. So something doesn't appear to be right.
    My LG Q7 (Android 8.1.0) on TF/AT&T and Moto G Power (Android 11) on TF/Verizon behave the same way as your Moto E 2020 (Android 10), so I don't think your phone has a problem, or due to the phone make/model, or carrier. I think it's due to a change in the Google Messages app and/or Android. Member cv91913's Samsung J7 phone behaves "the old way" because it's still on Android 6.0.1.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,578
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    That's all as it should be, but the OP can't get the quoted one to work. Any message from the phone to an email address it send as MMS, regardless of length.

    And I got the same results with Textra (Android 10 phone).
    I don't have a phone running 10 so I can't test OS differences. All my tests showed was that I could not duplicate OPs issue. I suppose that OP could try clearing data for the Messages app. And, I have checked all 3 of my phones running Android 6, 8, and 9. All have latest Messages app updates. Samsung and Motos. I can't find a setting in any of them that forces SMS.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    64
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    I don't have a phone running 10 so I can't test OS differences. All my tests showed was that I could not duplicate OPs issue. I suppose that OP could try clearing data for the Messages app. And, I have checked all 3 of my phones running Android 6, 8, and 9. All have latest Messages app updates. Samsung and Motos. I can't find a setting in any of them that forces SMS.
    Thanks for this information. I think they are pushing MMS to sell/have you buy more data.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    64
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My LG Q7 (Android 8.1.0) on TF/AT&T and Moto G Power (Android 11) on TF/Verizon behave the same way as your Moto E 2020 (Android 10), so I don't think your phone has a problem, or due to the phone make/model, or carrier. I think it's due to a change in the Google Messages app and/or Android. Member cv91913's Samsung J7 phone behaves "the old way" because it's still on Android 6.0.1.
    I think so as well. I'm thinking that it's a push to sell more data. If you add up all the extra among all subs it probably adds up to a big chunck of change for someone

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,578
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    My LG Q7 (Android 8.1.0) on TF/AT&T and Moto G Power (Android 11) on TF/Verizon behave the same way as your Moto E 2020 (Android 10), so I don't think your phone has a problem, or due to the phone make/model, or carrier. I think it's due to a change in the Google Messages app and/or Android. Member cv91913's Samsung J7 phone behaves "the old way" because it's still on Android 6.0.1.
    Oh, OK...OS envy. I do have newer phones than the J7. It is just where my Verizon sim lives. I just tried sending text to email address with my X4 (my newest Android 9). It has an AT&T sim in it. Any message to an email address is sent as MMS.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,391
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ok I'm confused. I don't send any texts to emails. I send texts from my phones others phones. Are those still sending & receiving as SMS? Or are they also all now MMS? Running Android 11.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.05.22
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 07.04.21

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    508
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you're texting to an email address, why not just use your email app via wifi if you're worried about data usage?

    Am I missing something here??..

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,814
    Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Ok I'm confused. I don't send any texts to emails. I send texts from my phones others phones. Are those still sending & receiving as SMS? Or are they also all now MMS? Running Android 11.
    A plain text (less than 160 characters, sent to a single recipient, without attachment) sent to a phone number is still sent as SMS. Only when sent to an email address that it's sent as MMS (apparently in recent Android releases, maybe 8.0 and higher).

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,391
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    If you're texting to an email address, why not just use your email app via wifi if you're worried about data usage?

    Am I missing something here??..
    Yeah I'm scratching my head.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,578
    Feedback Score
    0
    Narrowing it down. Just fired up phone running Android 7. It has a T-Mobile sim in it. Messages sent to an email address are sent as MMS. So looks like they changed the behavior many years ago. Just shows how much we all send/receive email texts.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,119
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't understand the big mystery here. If you expect to use email, then you expect to use the Internet. It will either be through wifi (that somebody is paying for) or it will be through Verizon etc. (who is also having to pay for it). There is no free lunch with the Internet.

    The carriers have to cooperate in order for the system to work. It just depends on how much they can do in house vs paying for the cooperation.

    This is my opinion.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,709
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I don't understand the big mystery here. If you expect to use email, then you expect to use the Internet.
    If you want go send a short message to someone's email address you could do it as SMS in the past. I use to do it often on phones without wifi/data.

    And I used the gateway to send from my email, go phones. Did that a lot when roaming cost double (using internet with my laptop in the hotel) or I was in places without service (like another country)

    So I understand wanting to continue doing such. I'm not minimizing days these days, but many do.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,709
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A plain text (less than 160 characters, sent to a single recipient, without attachment) sent to a phone number is still sent as SMS.
    Depending the app even longer messages. I can still set Textra to send multi-page SMS messages instead of switching to MMS.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    8,709
    Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    If you're texting to an email address, why not just use your email app via wifi if you're worried about data usage?
    Maybe you don't have wifi access?
    So instead of MBs of data to send an email with an email app (once you start the app, it syncs, then you send the message), send a short note using the SMS gateway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to get Google WAP for V3m
    By thomasshawn in forum ALLTEL
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
  2. Bell How to get the subsidy code out of a V3c
    By funkychicken in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM
  3. How to get Google Maps / Local midlet on sda
    By jrinco11 in forum Windows Mobile Devices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
  4. How to get Google GLM/GMM working on your PPC
    By nyvram in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 10:43 PM
  5. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 05:14 AM

Bookmarks