Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WiFi 2.4 ghz VS 5 ghz issue

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I've been using two different LG Fiesta 2s for several years, and there is no 5 GHz capability. I've compared the SSIDs it sees in several places with my work iPhone, and the iPhone sees all the distinctly named 5 GHz networks.

So if WheelieBoot is losing connection on a group of devices but not others, it's likely the residence network is dropping 2.4 GHz intermittently somehow.
    2.4 GHz Wifi can get so congested in high use Wifi environments like apartments that it effectively stops working. There are only three non-overlapping channels on 2.4 GHz. Microwave ovens will interfere with it too. I checked the boy's apt once. They were paying for 100 Mbps cable, but getting less than 1 Mbps through their own Wifi router. When I checked there were twenty something SSIDs trying to use the three 2.4 GHz channels.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I checked the boy's apt once. They were paying for 100 Mbps cable, but getting less than 1 Mbps through their own Wifi router. When I checked there were twenty something SSIDs trying to use the three 2.4 GHz channels.
    I use the free inSSIDer software to check and fine tune my WiFi channel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I use the free inSSIDer software to check and fine tune my WiFi channel.
    I used that or Wifi Analyzer. I've used both. When I was updating my four good phones and a tablet recently to have the same apps and app arrangement, I discovered that they made a change in Android 9 that won't allow Wifi analyzers to work. It's called Wifi scan throttling that is on by default. It prevents the Wifi from scanning more than something like once a minute so that borks Wifi Analyzers.

In Android 10 they made it so you can turn off the throttle in Developer Options. Tap Build Number 7 times to enable Developer Options.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

I don't recommend doing any sensitive things on a a cellphone ever.
    I don't get that reasoning at all. For any faults in Android, I trust Windows security even less (assuming up to date security patches). I have my banking apps on an IPhone, I think that's the best choice available to me.

Device(s)
    Moto G Power, Moto G7 Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    The claims that the SSID should be unique for each band is total nonsense, perhaps based on some very outdated info from back when access points and WiFi devices were still fairly primitive.

Modern access points, including high-tier commercial and professional systems, default both bands to the same SSID so that devices can seamlessly roam between the bands. Most feature optional band steering that can be enabled to prefer one band over the other, if desired, however it's generally best left up to the devices to decide which band provides better coverage based on signal strength. A good network will also steer devices to either band for load balancing purposes, if the system is particularly saturated with traffic on one band or the other.

Source: I've been an IT professional for nearly three decades, with vast experience designing and installing wireless networks.
    I have an older Linksys WRT1900ACS router and I have it set up with a single SSID for both bands. I've never had any problems with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3