Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WiFi 2.4 ghz VS 5 ghz issue

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I've had problems with shared SSID names so I don't do it.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 06-10-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    The claims that the SSID should be unique for each band is total nonsense, perhaps based on some very outdated info from back when access points and WiFi devices were still fairly primitive.

Modern access points, including high-tier commercial and professional systems, default both bands to the same SSID so that devices can seamlessly roam between the bands. Most feature optional band steering that can be enabled to prefer one band over the other, if desired, however it's generally best left up to the devices to decide which band provides better coverage based on signal strength. A good network will also steer devices to either band for load balancing purposes, if the system is particularly saturated with traffic on one band or the other.

Source: I've been an IT professional for nearly three decades, with vast experience designing and installing wireless networks.
    I have setup lots of APs myself. I have seen if the SSID's are the same, devices would fight between the bands to much, and it causes the devices to have too many dropped packets.

Then I have seen 2.4GHz only devices will not connect at all unless I setup two different SSIDs.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Most of those issues are due to improperly configured settings, such as using 40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz or 80 MHz bandwidth on 5 GHz. A well designed and implemented network will not cause any undue issues for the vast majority of devices out there.

But hey, do whatever works for you, not going to stop me from implementing systems using industry standards, best practices, and tried and trued methods.

Feedback Score
    In case of a future apartment situation with centralized wifi, I was looking up solutions. I saw these routers that take the original wifi, apply VPN to it, and then broadcast the result. Then you hook up to this repeater signal. You are responsible for installing/maintaining the (compatible) VPN router software of your choice. Then you can just use your computer/phones as usual.

I imagine that something minor will have to be installed on the computer/devices.

But this sounds like it would be a privacy solution. I don't know how it would slow down the normal speeds.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Most of those issues are due to improperly configured settings, such as using 40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz or 80 MHz bandwidth on 5 GHz. A well designed and implemented network will not cause any undue issues for the vast majority of devices out there.

But hey, do whatever works for you, not going to stop me from implementing systems using industry standards, best practices, and tried and trued methods.
    I have always setup 2.4GHz with 20MHz channel width and 5GHz with 40/80MHz channel width. I do not use 40MHz on 2.4GHz because I seen devices have issues with 40MHz channel width.

If you ever find any kinda older LG phones or 2.4GHz security cameras, you will see the issue with 2.4GHz not connecting.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    WPA2 PSK is the security listed on my WiFi connection.

I assumed that the phone would seek the best connection (2.4ghz or 5ghz) and use either/or.

I've never had my own private WiFi, just free WiFi provided by being a resident. So, i am pretty ignorant of the protocols for router connections.

The people in the administration who provide access to guests don't seem able to answer much about the system. Someone has to be called in to update or do anything to it. I am not even sure who their service provider is, maybe Sierra Tel. This place has changed hands several times. The first outfit put WiFi extenders on the different wings or halls to improve access to the rooms, but I think each new company does something to it when it changes hands.

I use so much data I wouldn't want to have to pay for direct mobile data. So despite my frequency issues, I guess I'm lucky it's provided free to us here. I use mobile data occasionally. Only for things I can't avoid (like on active phones when WiFi drops).

The staff here mentions WiFi outages lasting hours sometimes for their computers. So, it's not just cellphones.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I'm wondering if the LG Fiestas are even capable of doing 5ghz WiFi or if it's just an issue with mine (my settings).
    The LG Fiestas may not have 5ghz. Later Motos tend to have it. Walmart is a good place to test WiFi modes. They have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels in the store, which are named differently. That was the first time I had seen 5ghz, as I don't have it at home.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    The people in the administration who provide access to guests don't seem able to answer much about the system. Someone has to be called in to update or do anything to it.
    Common for a lot of places. They have no in house IT.

Some examples: hotels, department stores, apartment complexes.

It's all contracted out.

Even places like Walmart don't have full time IT in each store. Given how much their systems rely on IT, it surprised me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Most of those issues are due to improperly configured settings, such as using 40 MHz bandwidth on 2.4 GHz or 80 MHz bandwidth on 5 GHz.
    Last I checked those were supported settings, just some endpoints don't support it. Since my devices do work with the wider channels and I'm in a quiet area I have no issues with finding a clear channel. Especially the 5GHz band which I use for video streaming (server is 1Gb to router). I'm not worried about other people's devices on my network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    If all the devices are connecting to the same SSID they are using the same band.

If they set up both a 2.4GHz SSID and a 5GJz SSID with the same name it will be nothing but trouble. Most access points (routers) won't even let you do that because of the problems it causes.
    Well, I've only had experience with consumer grade routers-- but nearly every one I've set up defaults to a single SSID for both 2.4G and 5G. Giving them separate SSID's requires an intentional step, which we normally do. I wouldn't be surprised at all if commercial-grade routers do the reverse, and default to setting up different SSIDs. (We use consumer-grade routers for portable professional use, so I've set up quite a few. Our Google Fiber router, set up by the Google Fiber installer, also uses only 1 SSID for both bands.)
    My Tello referral code is P3BSR5HV, and gets both of us 10 Tello Dollars to pay for a plan.
    https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3BSR5HV

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This thread keeps on reminding me of this thread: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...d-OK-on-laptop

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    In case of a future apartment situation with centralized wifi, I was looking up solutions. I saw these routers that take the original wifi, apply VPN to it, and then broadcast the result. Then you hook up to this repeater signal. You are responsible for installing/maintaining the (compatible) VPN router software of your choice. Then you can just use your computer/phones as usual.

I imagine that something minor will have to be installed on the computer/devices.

But this sounds like it would be a privacy solution. I don't know how it would slow down the normal speeds.
    If the VPN is running on the router you don't need anything on the computers/devices that use it. My GL-iNet Mango travel router is capable of doing this. It would be set up as a Wifi repeater (w/ VPN) to connect to public/apt Wifi. You then connect to your VPN router Wifi or Ethernet.

The downside is that good, fast, high data allowance VPN is not free or cheap.

For the purpose of securing your banking, financial, medical use, you could just connect to your VPN router for sensitive and use the apt Wifi for routine things. Or just put VPN software on your computer and turn it on for sensitive things and skip the VPN router.

I don't recommend doing any sensitive things on a a cellphone ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't recommend doing any sensitive things on a a cellphone ever.
    I thought it was safe to do online banking and other sensitive things, so long as you used the cellphone's mobile data. I don't think that that data can be intercepted or skimmed, even if some hacker has the advantage of proximity to your device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lg800g user View Post
    I thought it was safe to do online banking and other sensitive things, so long as you used the cellphone's mobile data. I don't think that that data can be intercepted or skimmed, even if some hacker has the advantage of proximity to your device.
    I was thinking more of the general insecurity of Android and their apps. It's probably not the financial app or wireless data you have to worry about. It's that free game, fitness tracker, flashlight, etc. app that turns out to be spyware for the whole phone.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've been using two different LG Fiesta 2s for several years, and there is no 5 GHz capability. I've compared the SSIDs it sees in several places with my work iPhone, and the iPhone sees all the distinctly named 5 GHz networks.

So if WheelieBoot is losing connection on a group of devices but not others, it's likely the residence network is dropping 2.4 GHz intermittently somehow.

Also though, is there any possibility of there being a nearby microwave oven in use, especially in the physical path between you and the wireless access point? That's a real thing to consider.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast